It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:17 am 

I only recently saw this one again (funny how when in India I thought watching Hindi movies was beneath me, but when Im in the US I cant wait to watch a new one everyday.......), and thought that it was the most pretentious load of garbage ever fired out of Bollywood's dubious cannon in the late 90s. I mean, even 'Aashiqui' starring moppet Rahul Roy was much better. When I first saw it, I thought it was OK, but then maybe its because it was a VHS copy and I wasnt really into Indian movies.

Today I went online and searched for a few reviews of HDDCS and found that most people think its a 'classic. How is this possible? I found it very cheap and almost embarrassing in places. Salman Khan is the UGLIEST thing in Bollywood. His 'acting' makes Shah Rukh's lip-quivers look like Oscar-worthy material.

Aishwarya is OK, but excuse me, if you call this sort of wooden moonwalking 'acting' then theres nothing left to talk about. And how come in the movie, in the entire large extended family shes from, Ash is the only beautiful one? Ever noticed how every other woman member is hideous and unattractive (even by lowly standards)?

The passing off of Hungary as Italy is idiotic of course. Bhansali cant expect us to believe that when Ash and Ajay actually get up to do a traditional Hungarian Magyar dance. Italian my foot. I know we've discussed all of this before but something about this movie makes me wanna throw up everytime someone praises it.

If theres someone here who thinks its 'great' (snigger) please state your reasons. Personally, I think this sort of crap deserves instant burial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:08 pm 

Lifeinthesky,
You said it all about the movie. I hate Salman and Ash in this movie and I absolutely hate the first part of the movie. I think it is somewhat ok in the second half after Ash start acting like she just come down to the earth from the moon. And I love couple of songs in the movie that makes me worth have this dvd.

I think you are too much of a critic of this movie, it does not deserve the bashing. By all means it is no classic. We are talking here solely based on the better quality Hindi dvd’s available to watch from our own home with out regrets.

Edited By ganti on Aug. 01 2002 at 10:16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:15 pm 

I'll recomend BUYING this DVD just for the sake of MUSIC and EXCELLENT transfer by DEI, 2 disc set! I dont care abt film being a trashy classic my self, I never liked its sTORY was too PHONY the whole film with SUPER GLOSS! :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:53 pm 

Any movie that features Salman Khan farting in the audience's faces is an automatic classic in my book. Sanjay found the perfect metaphor for what most Hindi films do to their audiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:57 pm 

The film is neither a classic, nor is it totally trash. The movie was okay considering Bollywood standards but ofcoure as usual it had its share of flaws:

1) Salman Khan
2) Crudity (eg. farting etc.)
3) Inconsistent script
4) Too many songs / Innapropriately placed in the film. (irrespective of how good or bad they are)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:17 pm 

It was HAVA KA JHONKA classic!ha ha ha! :p ;) :stupid:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:40 pm 

I wasn't a big fan of this movie either but like all other SLB movies, the sets and colors were nice but the acting sucked. Salman and Aish and them can't act. If you wanted to see acting, Khamishi was good IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:49 am 

I really liked Hum Dil Da Chuka Sanam(even despite Salman Khan's loud & annoying antics). But I think everyone here is overlooking the sensitive and commendable performance by Ajay Devgan, I also don't even think much of Ashwarya Rai, but I felt she was strickly okayish in this film. But above all, I admire Bhansali's elegant vision of cinema(Khmoshi, HDDCS & now Devdas). On the other hand, HDDCS was a weaker version of Woh Saath Din & most probably his Devdas with the earlier versions by Roy & P.C. Baura. Which leaves to say that Bhansali's best work is still Khmoshi The Musical.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 am 

Quote:
Trashy classic

That's all I can say for Devdas 2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm 

Well, in my opinion, it is neither too great a movie, nor is it too bad. It stands somewhere in the middle. Actually above average. But the DEi DVD has made me cherish it like anything.

Cheers, guys.