It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315642

The only real Indian film I'm waiting to watch with some anticipation.

Also a note, I remember an off chance we encountered an interview with Vidhu Vinod Chopra's assist on zulm.net a while back - must be over ten years old now where VVC mentioned he was working on a concept for a movie about two chess players. It's taken that long from concept to different variations to a final movie being released in Jan 2016! That some development process time.

Ali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 am 

I'm not sure about this one.........mainly because of the cast. I think it could be interesting, but Neil Nitin Mukesh?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:33 am 

ali wrote:
Also a note, I remember an off chance we encountered an interview with Vidhu Vinod Chopra's assist on zulm.net a while back - must be over ten years old now where VVC mentioned he was working on a concept for a movie about two chess players. It's taken that long from concept to different variations to a final movie being released in Jan 2016! That some development process time.

Ali

The following was posted in 2002:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1934&hilit=vidhu
Zoran009 wrote:
Finally, some body showed some COURAGE to RAISE their STATURES!!

http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/aug/21chopra.htm

'I have always intellectually dwarfed myself'
Vidhu Vinod Chopra's next project is a 'thriller of the mind'

Director Vidhu Vinod Chopra is excited about his latest venture, an English supernatural thriller Chess, with a tagline that goes '2 players, only 1 is alive'.

The film has two players are engaged in a tense game of chess. One tries to decipher the story of the other's death through the moves in the game. By the end of the game, and the film, the player is changed forever.

Chopra's principal scriptwriters are Suketu Mehta and Vikram Chandra. The latter is one of India's better-known writers and a frequent collaborator on Chopra's projects. Chopra is also married to Chandra's sister, India Today special correspondent Anupama Chopra.

Chess has been in the works for some 14 years, when Chopra wrote the first draft of the film's script. Over the intervening years and other projects, he decided Chess could not be made in Hindi. "I realised I had to make this film for a world audience," he told rediff.com. "I have always intellectually dwarfed myself in order to communicate to a large (Indian) audience, which I am not going to do with Chess."

The film is a landmark project for Chopra, a director who has been critically acclaimed for bringing a new grittiness to Indian cinema. He plans to make the film in the United States for an international audience. There will be virtually nothing Indian about the film, other than its director and the presence of actor Amitabh Bachchan.

"For me, Chess is really the liberation of my cinematic soul," said Chopra. A short silence follows, and then he laughs: "Not a bad quote, huh?"

When seen in the context of Bollywood, Chess is an unusual project. "Apart from one character whose grandfather was Indian, Chess is a totally American project," he says. "It will probably have only one Indian actor. I will make it so there will be an Indian sensibility, but it is for a world audience."

Chopra has also considered making it an independent project. He has raised about $3 million for the film. He says if he can raise another $7 million he may go independent. But considering that Columbia Tristar has "already shown interest" it may become a larger, more ambitious film.

"As hopes would go there is a role I'm hoping to get either Paul Newman or Dustin Hoffman to play," he says. So far the only actor who has committed to the project is Bachchan.

:cool: :D

Edited By arsh on 1029951959

ali wrote:
Quote:
By the end of the game, and the film, the player is changed forever.

Hmmm... I remember VVC mentioning this film Chess in the zulm one and only Q & A in April 2001 - and reading back I think its contains a spoiler :oo:

So read it at your own peril (second to last question) :p

http://www.zulm.net/modules....sid=185

(or maybe not - reading too much into it :stupid: )

Ali [/b] [/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zulm.net/modules....sid=185

Ali, the old link about April 2001 interview does not work. It will be interesting to see that interview if we can find the link.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Admin

rana wrote:
Ali, the old link about April 2001 interview does not work. It will be interesting to see that interview if we can find the link.

I'll try and fix it over weekend, seems the old site been dead for sometime, no one looking after it :oops:

Ali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Admin

bhaskar wrote:
I'm not sure about this one.........mainly because of the cast. I think it could be interesting, but Neil Nitin Mukesh?

Nothing wrong with the cast, it's got AB init!

Not seen much of Neil Nitin Mukesh but did watch David recently and he was good in that - oddly enough done by the same director!

Ali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:53 pm 

ali wrote:
bhaskar wrote:

Nothing wrong with the cast, it's got AB init!

Not seen much of Neil Nitin Mukesh but did watch David recently and he was good in that - oddly enough done by the same director!

Ali

Don't tell me you like Mrityudaata, Lal Baadshah and Boom as well cos of AB.......... In fact, is this really you Ali, or has Faddy hacked into your account?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Tried fixing the old site but the tech is totally broken and obsolete - just don't have the time to fix it. I did managed to extract the VVC interview from the database time stamped 14 April 2001 17:57:37 - can be seen here;

http://www.zulm.net/vvc.html

Maybe looking too much to link to Wazir in here - he mentions a next project as Chess as an English film and another called 1+1 - not sure if any became reality.

Ali