It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DEDH ISHQIYA (2014)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:20 am 

Movie: DEDH ISHQIYA
Cinema Release: 10 January 2014
Cast: Madhuri Dixit, Arshad Warsi, Naseeruddin Shah, Huma Qureshi, Vijay Raaz, Manoj Pahwa
Director: Abhishek Chaubey
Genre: Thriller/Romance
Distributor: Shemaroo Entertainment

Trailer: DEDH ISHQIYA

Post subject: Re: DEDH ISHQIYA (2014)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:18 am 

I am quite disappointed with Madhuri choice of films to stay in;( after face work she looks so strange as seen in YJHD cameo song number was quite disappointing. It makes her look desperate;( IMHO Sri Devi choice of role was excellent and impressive! So do Karisma!
I am sorry to say she is all in all to loose her Charisma for being not selective ;( I will hate to see her go low than high and queen!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 am 

Has any one seen it? Rana or Sanjay, bhaskar or any other Madhuri fans?
Is it as good as maqbool?;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Has any one seen it? Rana or Sanjay, bhaskar or any other Madhuri fans?
Is it as good as maqbool?;)

I did actually watch this at the weekend, and really enjoyed it. I loved the shaayri, and the use of Urdu in the film - it has been carefully put together. I could see the 'twist' a mile off though. And the UK audiences clearly don't appreciate things............the song Hamari Atariya Pe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOWrHtthyc) is at the end of the film, just before the credits, and half the cinema got up and left!!!

I was also a little annoyed by the audience - a lot of people came with little kids (4-5 years old), for a showing that finished close to midnight. The film itself is not something I would call a family film either, I'm not sure what the rating is, but it has a reasonable amount of sex and violence in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 pm 

I give the movie a 'THUMBS UP' and recommend it as a definite watch. But I would be lying if I said that I was not disappointed. Having said that, I must also clarify that 'Ishqiya' is my most liked, Hindi movie of the last five years and therefore being a disappointment in comparison to it, is not all that negative.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:52 am 

Thanks guys for your input.
Likes of VB along with Gulzar has figured a rustic, niche for his films, starting from Maqbool onwards his films have been following this path of more and more crude and rustic back drops of sex and violence. He has fans of his own category films.
I did like Maqbool a lot but gradually did not quite follow those due to being lesser fit for family viewing.
All of these movies are Adult view.
I am surprised in UK they would let little children/ kids in this category of movie;( as a few years ago, my son 13 years of age was declined admission into Asambhav as UK screening had one single kissing scene...
IMHO, desperate for movies UK watchers go for all and baby sitting is expensive or NA, or not the need thus exposing kids to such crude themed films;(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm 

The film is certified as 12A in the UK, which means kids can go in if accompanied by adults. I believe the film was a UA certificate in India, which I think means the same thing - however, in my opinion, there was some scenes in the film that weren't suitable for kids at all.

According to the BBFC site, Asambhav was certified 18 in the UK for strong violence, which would explain why your 13 year old son couldn't get in. Cinemas are relatively relaxed with 15 certificate films in the UK, but pretty strict with 18 rated films.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:12 am 

Amazing choice! Just down stairs they were playing Salu Garv and he was allowed entrance there! Are we talking about violence still lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:05 pm 

Woh jo hum main tum main qarar tha, Tumhain yaad ho kay na yaad ho
That peace we had between us, you might remember or you might not
Woh hi yaani wada nibah ka, Tumhain yaad ho kay na yaad ho
That promise of staying together, you might remember or you might not
Woh jo hum main tum main qarar tha
That peace we had between us

Woh jo lutf mujh pay thay peshtar, Woh karam kay tha meray haal par
Those joys that were often on me, that kindness on my being
Mujhay sab hai yaad zara zara, tumhain yaad ho kay na yaad ho
I remember every bit, whether you remember or not

Woh naye gile woh shikaayatein’, woh maze maze ki hikaayatein-
Those new resentments, those complaints, those light hearted and fun stories
Woh har aik baat pe roothna, tumhein’ yaad ho ke na yaad ho..
That being displeased at everything, you might remember or you might not

As this Begum Akhtar Ghazal unravels onscreen, we are treated to a beauty that becomes Dedh Ishqiya. Bollywood has become, in many ways repetitive and gaudy, Dedh Ishqiya proves that there are at least some intelligent film-makers within its fraternity. Ishqiya released in 2010, and this 1.5 sequel was released 4 years after. Dedh Ishqiya wasn’t made for the sake of making a sequel, it was made once the story and screenplay had been finalised with a fresh twist. Vishal Bhardwaj’s love for literature, has I am sure, influenced this film heavily.

Dedh Ishqiya is rich in all the senses, dialogues, cinematography, screenplay, music, and stupendous performances, full of heart. In an attempt to fully re-create the magic of an era gone by, where good, sincere music and poetry reigns supreme, the team of Dedh Ishqiya deserves full marks. The movie does bring back old charm and grandeur, in a hilarious way. Khalu and Babban are at it again, all the way to Mahmudabad this time. Nothing and No-one is as they seem, in a one-liner. The use of chaste Urdu, helped enhance the atmosphere of the movie thoroughly.

Naseeruddin Shah and Arshad Warsi make a good team and the have a great camaraderie in this movie. Huma Qureshi is also pretty capable. She adds a certain spunk to her character.

The performances are top rate and I’d be kidding myself and everyone else if I said I watched Dedh Ishqiya for anyone else other than Madhuri Dixit. She blazes onscreen. I couldn’t contain myself when Muniya announced the entrance of Para before the Swayamvar; really good to see Madhuri on the big-screen. The power in her performance lies in her expressions; they speak volumes of what her character is going through. Begum Para’s story is heartfelt and catches you offguard. One scene in particular that comes to mind is when Muniya scares Para while she is making paan, Muniya then hugs Para. Watch Madhuri’s face when she realises that something has changed, and it’s only in the end that you understand why. There is a lot of subtext in Para’s character that is not explored, but you know it’s there. This was a great move by the writers. Made people think a bit. What more can one ask for when we are treated to Madhuri dancing to the choreography of Pandit Birju Maharaj, to a Raaga based song sung by Rekha Bharadwaj?? By the time Jagaave Saari Raina had come onscreen, I was beside myself. Madhuri danced like a dream, and I cannot stop having that dream!

Naseeruddin and Madhuri share a great onscreen chemistry; they are romantic and poetic.

Which leads me to the music of the film; I have read many reviews saying the music is inept and hasn’t gelled with the listeners. Well I have a retort! There is nothing wrong with the music; it’s the people that need changing. After watching the movie, I realise what a genius Vishal Bhardwaj really is. The songs suit the characters and the setting perfectly. They complement each other perfectly. ‘Zabaan Jale Hai’, ‘Dil Ka Mizaaj’,’Jagaave Saari Raina’and ‘Hamari Atariya Pe’ are excellent songs that are well written and beautifully orchestrated.

Dedh Ishqiya is paisa vasool fare. I mean who would have thought that a shoot-out scene in the end with the same Begum Akhtar ghazal ‘Woh jo hum main tum main qarar tha, Tumhain yaad ho kay na yaad ho’ playing in the background, could be so enticing, so perfect and yet so contrasting? This is not one of those noisemaker, loud, garish movies. It’s intelligent, witty and worth the praise it’s getting. I commend the team of Dedh Ishqiya.

I will also remain oblivious to the final BO fate of this movie, as i have no trust in the choices of the Indian public. From the reports that i have read, its seems Yaariyan has taken in more cash than Dedh Ishqiya. This again shown the reason for my first line in this paragraph.

My rating is a definite 9/10.