It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:00 pm 

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-01-22/news-interviews/36484083_1_film-centre-kishore-kumar-joy-mukherjee

Joy Mukherjee's unreleased film ready for release

That a film starring Joy Mukherjee titled Love in Bombay was ready in 1971 but hadn't hit the theatres, TOI had reported yesterday. Apparently, after Joy's demise on March 9 last year, his son Monojoy stumbled upon an old bill from Film Centre while rummaging through his father's belongings.

One thing led to another and he discovered his dad's unreleased film nestled inside an old box of negatives. After months of painstaking effort, the film may well release on February 24, which coincides with Joy's birthday.

What is most interesting about Love in Bombay, conceptualised by Joy and Bengali writer Ajay Chakraborty is the actors and their characterisation. Apart from Joy, the film stars Waheeda Rehman as a hip city girl, very different from her usual sari-clad avatar, Rehman as the villain, Kishore Kumar and Ashok Kumar among others.

Said Joy's widow Neelam, "Joy plays a Crocodile Dundee kind of character. The rom-com takes me back to my own romance. Joy was the 'golden boy' of the Mukherjees, who wooed me here, and it was love in Mumbai for us too."

Promising a chartbuster in the number Maaza Naav Ganpat Rao, sung and enacted by Kishore Kumar and composed by Shankar-Jaikishen, Neelam said, "Kishore mama has a full-fledged role opposite Sonia Sahani. I was present at the Filmalaya studio during the shoot. Dressed like they do in the interiors of Maharashtra, he was a riot. He'd break into steps the choreographer hadn't even rehearsed, and everyone would applaud after the shot. There was a live bear on the sets too."

Speaking about the restoration, Monojoy said, "We've gone for 2K restoration in high definition, corrected each frame over six months, working 10 hours a day. I've worked on the sound for three months. Now, both my brother Sujoy and me, along with our sister Simran and mom, feel confident to unveil the film under our father's banner."

- Roshmila Bhattacharya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:43 pm 

Very interesting.

Must see for nostalgia sake. Joy Mukherjee, Waheeda Rehman, Ashok Kumar, Kishore Kumar - a rare combo.
Plus Shanker Jaikishan music.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 am 

Thanks rana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:37 pm 

I guess this sunk without a trace. I am still interested in seeing it somehow. I am hoping someone will release this - seems like a good candidate for a BD release ... restored negative etc. I doubt that it will get released anytime soon - but here's hoping.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:42 pm 

Muz wrote:
I guess this sunk without a trace. I am still interested in seeing it somehow. I am hoping someone will release this - seems like a good candidate for a BD release ... restored negative etc. I doubt that it will get released anytime soon - but here's hoping.

Haha! Same here!! It sunk BAD!! Actually, the public over here isn't really interested in watching old movies. Therefore, it didn't collect well and was declared a commercial disaster.

But, nevertheless, we must have a DVD release (which we all no is not gonna happen :( )
But still, we must look forward, join our hands, create petitions...

That's probably the least we can do.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:06 pm 

DVD available at induna.com
Didn't check out other sites.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:13 am 

This movie is totally crap! Acting is terrible, each scene seems never ending. Songs are terrible as well. Glad I didn't catch this one at the theaters.

Tge restoration is decent. Some scenes look like a new movie. The audio is mono and is of good quality.