It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 am 

Chandrashekhar (Cha Cha Cha fame):

In thew 50s and 60s, he was a big name. I'm sure he acted as a hero in some low budget films. But, mostly in supporting roles and a few major side hero roles.

He produced, directed and acted in Cha Cha Cha.

His first film as listed at imdb.com is 1951 film Nirdoshi and then a 1952 famous film Daag (Dilip, Nimmi).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0151539/
Is it same Chandrashekhar that's in film Three Idiots as "Airlines Ground Staff 2 " ??
Before this he is credited with year 2000 films Kaali Topi Lal Rumal and Khauf.

Born in 1922, does it make him the oldest active actor in Bollywood at 89 Yrs for Three Idiots ??

Any screen shots from his early days as compared to his present look ??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:18 am 

Sridevifan wrote:
Rajkiran

Any idea about the whereabouts of the Arth fame Rajkiran?

Raj Kiran seems to have moved on to South Indian films since year 2000 ??

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456093/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 am 

Muz wrote:
Here is a very interesting write-up of the vintage actor Chandramohan:

http://memsaabstory.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/feel-the-love-chandramohan/#more-14390

Nice write up on Chandra Mohan, Muz.

I'm not sure till when that link will be active, so I'll copy-paste it here. (For pictures, go to the link)
Quote:
Feel the love! Chandramohan
By memsaab

I will never forget my first glimpse of Chandramohan as a bloodthirsty Rajput in Mehboob Khan’s historical Humayun. Those pale and compelling eyes! That determined hunger for vengeance! I was instantly enchanted by his persistent enmity in the face of his foe’s tolerant goodwill. Indeed, Chandramohan dominates my review of that film. His flamboyant appearance and theatrics were unforgettable.

Then I saw him in Pukar as the Mughal emperor Jehangir and he caught my heart. His tender chemistry with Naseem Banu as Noor Jehan and fine performance as the legendary king bowled me over. His astonishing good looks and unique speaking voice did not hurt either! Again, he dominated my post on the movie.

So of course I had to know more about this gorgeous and charismatic actor, and the first thing I discovered is that he died in his early 40s on Saturday 2 April 1949, penniless. Nooooooooo!!!! Nahiiin!

But there was a silver lining: if there’s one source of information that reliably does show up on the interwebs, it’s an obituary. I found one in the April 1949 issue of Sound magazine on Surjit Singh’s invaluable website which ran into four pages and soon realized that he was as colorful a character in real life as he was onscreen.

One of those larger-than-life people you rarely see anymore, he was generous to a fault, a favorite with the ladies (I have such impeccable taste!) and a lover of the finer things in life. He counted among his friends contemporaries like Motilal, K.N. Singh, K.L. Saigal and Prithviraj Kapoor, and a few Maharajahs with whom he shared a passion for horse racing.

He was born in Narsinghpur in what was then known as the Central Provinces to Kashmiri Brahmin parents on July 24, 1906 and named Chandramohan Watal. His mother died when he was very small and he was brought up “with great indulgence” by his maternal grandmother. He left home in 1930 and took a series of odd jobs, including managing a cinema and a film distributorship. During this last job he met V. Shantaram of Prabhat, who was struck by his pale gray-green eyes and thought he would make an excellent actor.

Chandramohan refused him at first but a couple of years later agreed to appear in the Hindi version of 1934′s Amrit Manthan as a seriously intimidating high priest. Amrish Puri had nothing on him! The film famously opens with a closeup of his eyes and pans out slowly to reveal his face. I would love to see it, but have only been able to find the Marathi version of the film; that scene is missing from my copy anyway. I fondly nurture the idea that Shantaram maybe used some Chandramohan closeups in it though.

Sadly I have not been able to find any color pictures of him, although I have also read that he went prematurely gray in his late teens. But certainly even black and white film shows how fiercely dramatic his eyes and expression were. Even surrounded by a thick thatch of wig and beard, they are startling in their intensity.

In his Filmindia obituary of Chandramohan, Baburao Patel wrote:

Syed Fateh Lal, the great artist of Prabhat, was so much fascinated by Chandramohan’s unique eyes that he would sit for hours looking at them wondering how they would be received on the screen.

He was a huge star from Amrit Manthan onwards, and soon became the highest paid actor in Indian cinema. In the thirties, actors worked for specific studios much as their counterparts in Hollywood did, and Chandramohan was one of the first to break that trend. He left Prabhat in 1937 after a disagreement with Shantaram over whether the studio made an actor successful or it worked the other way around. He went on to work at several other studios for a short time before becoming a “free-lancer.” In the December 1941 Filmindia, he is quoted as saying:

I never work for money (that rolls in automatically) but only to satisfy the artist in me…I like to be able to express my own ideas about how I should play a scene. A director must say what he wants to say to the public through the artiste, but the artiste must have some say in the matter. If directors could act they would not need to have artistes to put over their films, but as long as they can’t act they must allow actors more scope for interpreting the role in the way they think is best.

He also nursed an ambition to go to Hollywood, where he wanted to do horror films and Buster Keaton’s kind of comedies “where the characters would be serious but the situations funny”—but sadly this dream was never realized.

Chandramohan spent the lakhs of rupees he earned for each film entertaining his friends and on his beloved race horses. He was a loner who never married “because if I did I would lose my individuality and I wouldn’t be able to take chances.” He enjoyed the company of friends but lived by himself and liked being alone. His attitude towards his fellow men was practical:

Man is a compound of good and bad. If a man is not that way he is not a man.

He was often accused of being arrogant and defended himself:

I am not a brag. I just state facts. If a man talks a lot he’s called a brag and if he doesn’t have anything to say, he’s called a fool, so I just state the truth about myself and let people think what they like.

Baburao Patel was often asked about him by readers in the Q&A sections of Filmindia:

Q: I want to know something about Chandramohan?

A: Write to him [address] and he will tell you everything. He doesn’t give others a chance to tell his story.

Q: Has Chandramohan sung in any of his films?

A: Chandramohan seems to have more sense than Motilal, and spares us the torture on the screen. Chandramohan, however, insists on tickling our ears on the sets.

Baburao shared Chandramohan’s love for racing and horses (he owned a thoroughbred named—what else?—Filmindia) and would comment occasionally on the losses which Chandramohan was piling up. He wrote once:

At the Race Course [Chandramohan] has become too popular with the bookies who want his autograph on the cheque book.

Chandramohan—who had long been an avowed atheist—became quite obsessed by the end of his life with religion, and especially the goddess Kali. He began drinking quite heavily and talked often about his dreams, especially one he had about his racehorse Kanta. He dreamed one night that Kanta fell and broke her leg at the fifth furlong post while racing, and asked his trainer the next morning if she was okay for the race she was scheduled to run that day. The trainer assured Chandramohan that Kanta had every chance to win the race—but she fell and broke her leg at the fifth furlong post.

These dreams and religious fanaticism came at a point after several years of flop films followed by little work, when his extravagant lifestyle had drained his once healthy bank account. His obituary in Sound magazine says that he often would say “I’ve lost Laxmi, but I’ve found Kali Mata.”

Although his fortunes appeared to be turning the corner at the time of his death (he had several new films in hand), he died penniless and his funeral rites were paid for by the Film Artistes’ Association. He left his female companion of three years, Sheila, and no doubt a string of broken hearts behind him; and we fans of Hindi cinema bereft of what could have been many more hours of his intensely magnetic screen presence to enjoy (he was famously K. Asif’s first pick to play Akbar in Mughal-e-Azam—Prithviraj Kapoor eventually replaced him).

He would have appeared with Nargis and Veena too, if K. Asif had managed to keep the project going through the upheaval of Partition.

Here he is with Veena in Humayun (he played her fiance, although his heart in that film was mostly devoted to retribution):

The headline of his obituary in Filmindia read “A Lion At Rest!”:

Leonine in bearing and noble in character, Chandramohan was recognized as a great friend and sportsman to whom all rushed in their hour of need.

Baburao also wrote in his “You’ll Hardly Believe” feature:

That Sardar Chandulal Shah can never excuse Chandramohan for dying on a Saturday—a race day. But the next day was also a race day and Chandramohan was too much in a hurry to wait till Monday to enable the Sardar to attend his funeral.

That almost every artiste, producer and journalist attended Chandramohan’s funeral but none from Ranjit was seen. Is every one in Ranjit a horse lover?

That when V. Shantaram…heard of old Chandramohan’s sudden death he felt like a sculptor whose model had been suddenly broken. Had Chandramohan known this, he would have postponed the event.

(Sardar Chandulal Shah was the owner of Ranjit Studios and decidedly not a favorite of Baburao’s: he no doubt more than once accused Shah of selling out in favor of money over art, and likened Ranjit’s productions to “sausages.”)

I have seen Chandramohan in six films: Pukar, Amarjyoti, Humayun—all written about here—plus Vahan (1937), Roti (1942), and Shaheed (1948); and I’ve loved him in every single one even if I had no idea what was going on (but especially when I did!). No matter the character—fierce Rajput, benevolent Mughal, ruthless capitalist, scheming priest—it is hard to look at anyone else when he is onscreen.

He appeared opposite Ulhas and Leela Chitnis in Vahan, playing Leela’s father.

His body of work is not as large as it would have been had he lived longer; but he was one of the very first cinema superstars, and an actor and man who deserves not to be forgotten!

My friend Atul sent a translation of an article about Chandramohan printed in a Hindi newspaper, and written by a very nice man named Raajkumar Keswani. He tells me he plans to post them in English as well sometime soon; for now, if you read Hindi you can find his article here along with a followup letter which he received from Chandramohan’s 82-year-old nephew afterwards. I found the letter particularly interesting, of course, and am posting Atul’s translations at the end here if you are interested too. You can also download the issue of Sound magazine linked above which contains his obituary if you want to read the whole thing; and I am including the wonderful Chandramohan interview from the December 1941 issue of Filmindia.

In his article, Mr. Keswani says that he is writing about Chandramohan in the hopes that some of the younger generation may thus discover him anew and explore his films. “When they watch these movies,” he says, “they will bless me.”

That perfectly sums it up for me too! Find a Chandramohan film, and watch it (I recommend Pukar or Roti, both outstanding movies). You can bless me or not, but you will rarely see a more compelling presence on screen: Chandramohan was—IS—truly one of a kind.

Chandramohan_Keswani.pdf

Chandramohan letter.pdf

Chandramohan_Filmindia_article.pdf

website statistics

* Sharing is Caring:
* Facebook

* StumbleUpon
* Reddit
* Email
* Digg

Tags: Amarjyoti, Amrit Manthan, Baburao Patel, Chandramohan, Filmindia magazine, Humayan, K Asif, Leela Chitnis, Memsaab's favorites, Mughal-e-Azam, Nargis, Pukar, Roti, Sardar Chandulal Shah, Shaheed, Sound magazine, Ulhas, V Shantaram, Veena

This entry was posted on August 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm and is filed under Hindi film history, Hindi movies. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:54 pm 

Another one I have been wondering was Amarjeet (Teen Devian & other Dev Annand films) when we found out that Climax scenes in his film Teen Devian are missing in the DVD. We're hoping that perhaps someday, the film maker will eventually put those climax scenes back in its DVD.

But, just came across a web post that described him as "Late Amarjeet" for a 1985 film. So, no hope of ever finding that missing climax, from original film source. (Esquire VHS has that climax sequence).
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9352&hilit=devian
viewtopic.php?t=4694&highlight=devian

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0024039/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 pm 

rana wrote:
Sridevifan wrote:
Rajkiran

Any idea about the whereabouts of the Arth fame Rajkiran?

Raj Kiran seems to have moved on to South Indian films since year 2000 ??

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456093/

One Rajkiran film (Kaavalan) is releasing this Friday.
http://www.cinemaclock.com/movies/ont/T ... valan.html

Looks like he is doing quite well in the South. Even though he mainly does elderly roles now, he still commands salary equal to lead stars. Kaavalan is also being made in Hindi with Salman Khan and Katrina in lead roles. Perhaps, Rajkiran will be in it too ??

Quote:
http://www.kaavalan.net/raj-kiran-to-take-asins-father-role-in-kaavalan/

Raj Kiran - - Asin’s Father Role in Kaavalan
Kaavalan Movie Add comments

Raj Kiran is one actor who surprisingly manages to get salary equal to the lead stars in a movie. Actro Raj Kiran started his second innings in Tamil cinema by donning in elderly person characters and now seems to be high in demand for the same.
Quote:
http://www.kaavalan.net/kaavalan-hindi-version-will-begin-on-december-19th/
Kaavalan Hindi Version will Begin on December 19th

The shooting of the movie Kavalan has been finished and is all set to release and before the movie’s release director Siddique is ready to shoot the hindi version of the movie Kavalan.

kavalan-Latest-Movie-Stills-4

The shooting of the movie’s hindi version will begin on December 19th, in Mumbai. As the news early was, Salman Khan will be playing the lead role in the movie. Asin admitted that she will not be acting in the hindi version of the movie as she is not willing to do the same role once again. Katrina Kaif has been signed up for the movie.
Siddique said that there has been changes in the movie as to differentiate the movie from the original one. Changes have been made in tamil to suit vijay’s fans and at the same time changes will be made for Sallu’s fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 am 

Sad to read this :(

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hind ... 63266.html

‘Sholay’ veteran actor A.K. Hangal in miserable condition
IndiaGlitz [Friday, January 21, 2011]

He had been the regular elderly figure, popularly seen in several classic movies like ‘Sholay’, ‘Shaukeen’, ‘Bawarchi’, ‘Namak Haram’ and recent one ‘Lagaan’. Having worked in nearly 200 films, the 95-year veteran has even the ‘Padma Bhushan’ award added to his name. But sadly now A.K. Hangal has been reduced to a very poor plight – he is battling with financial crisis and failing health. And more disheartening is that none of the people from the industry are by his side.

Hangal, a professional tailor-turned-actor, lives a life of penury in his modest ground floor flat in Saraswati Apartments, Santacruz East. He is under the care of his son Vijay (74), a former Bollywood still photographer, who himself is suffering from severe back ailment, due to which he left his job. According to sources, the father-son together have a medical bill of over Rs.15, 000 per month and now have to practically choose between spending on food and medication.

As silver lining, of late help has been coming to them… Recently Amey Khopkar (President of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena film cell), visited the family and offered to look after Hangal’s medical expenses henceforth.

Incidentally, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan reported to had given him Rs 51,000 last year while the Cine and TV Artists Association (CINTAA) had contributed financial assistance of Rs 50,000 during the same period.

Veteran actress Asha Parekh and director Vipul Shah have also extended monetary aid to Hangal. Perfectionist Aamir Khan also showed concerned towards the ailing actor and said that he will immediately reach out to him and do the needful.

Amitabh Bachchan, who has acted with Hangal in several movies, was too shocked and hurt over the actor’s condition and has decided to help him right away. Big B wrote in his blog, “Life's stories have been overloaded with vivid descriptions of unfortunate circumstances. Circumstances that have brought the greats down to their knees. It is shocking and most undesirable to comment on it, but a quiet yet considered action for their good, is what I would want to get involved in. And I do. My prayers and wishes for Hangal Saheb."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am 

Another SHOLAY fame in despair:

Editor: M S Shinde

Quote:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Sholay-editor-falls-on-hard-times/articleshow/7479269.cms

Sholay editor falls on hard times
Bharati Dubey, TNN, Feb 12, 2011, 05.45am IST

MUMBAI: He cannot get over the fact that he has ended up in Dharavi's slums. M S Shinde, the man who has edited over 100 hit films, including Sholay, Seeta Aur Geeta and Sagar, has been living in PMGP Colony, Dharavi, for the last six months.

"I want to get out of this place," said the 81-year-old, lament evident in his voice. His daughter Achla, who takes care of him, said: "We were forced to come here when our building in Parel (where Shinde lived for 48 years) collapsed. The building's owner refused to help us and we had to apply to Mhada, which granted us this 160-sq-ft room."

Shinde recently had femur surgery and has a cataract operation scheduled for next week. Clearly, his magic in Bollywood hasn't helped him much financially. It has also been a question of time: he got a princely sum of Rs 2,000 for editing Sholay, a film with one of the best technical quotient in Bollywood.

"I worked with Sippy Films on a salary of Rs 2,000 (per film) all my life. I didn't mind the salary because they allowed me to take up work outside," he said.

Incidentally, Shinde and Achla were collecting their belongings from the site of the building collapse on the day Sholay marked 35 years.

"Although my father has won awards for the film, he was never invited to any of its celebrations. We stayed at the building site for a couple of days before shifting to Dharavi," Achla said.

Shinde has worked with other top producers like Sultan Ahmed, Sanjay Khan, F C Mehra, I S Johar and Bhappi Sonie. He said: "I have worked with producers for an amount up to Rs 90,000 a film." Interrupting him, Achla said: "Most of them didn't really give him money."

Shinde spent his savings on getting two other daughters married. "My daughters have families to look after, but they help with my medical expenses," he said.

Achla used to sell fruit juice and cakes to make a living.

She said: "It is a seasonal business. After we shifted to Dharavi, I have not been able to earn a living."

'Shinde's daughter did approach the film editor's association for help. "I went there last year all they gave me was a cheque of Rs 5000.''

Shinde lost his wife to cancer in 2006; in the process, he spent most of his savings. Achla said," I had to quit my job because both my parents needed attention. I am looking for a job as I need it now.''

While Shinde does not really like to talk about his condition, it was late Dadasaheb Phalke's great grand daughter-in-law Mrudula who found about their condition and approached the cine wing of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena which has now offered to help him.

Like A K Hangal, the senior film editor feels that both the government and the film industry needs to plan out something concrete for retired people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 pm 

SHYAMA:

Another heroine of yester years, SHYAMA (Aar Paar, Barsaat Ki Raat, Zabak) born 1935, I came across some news. At zulm, last mention of Shyama was for a 2004 event, to mark the release of a postage stamp on late Guru Dutt. Last films as per imdb were Masterjee in 1985 and Hathyar in 1989.

Was glad to see her name mentioned for a 2010 meeting with Ameen Sayani (Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein CD set) and that she is alive and well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7092&hilit=shyama

-----------------------------------------
SHAKILA:

Another yesteryear actress, mentioned in this link above is Shakila, who too attended that function at the time of release of a postage stamp on late Guru Dutt.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakila_%28actress%29
She retired from films in 1963 when she married and decided to move to United Kingdom with her husband who was not from the film industry. Her sister Noor (short for Noorjehan) was married to Johnny Walker (actor).

The famous song Babuji Dheere Chalna from Aar Paar was filmed on her

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am 

rana wrote:
SHYAMA:

Another heroine of yester years, SHYAMA (Aar Paar, Barsaat Ki Raat, Zabak) born 1935, I came across some news. At zulm, last mention of Shyama was for a 2004 event, to mark the release of a postage stamp on late Guru Dutt. Last films as per imdb were Masterjee in 1985 and Hathyar in 1989.

Was glad to see her name mentioned for a 2010 meeting with Ameen Sayani (Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein CD set) and that she is alive and well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7092&hilit=shyama

-----------------------------------------
SHAKILA:

Another yesteryear actress, mentioned in this link above is Shakila, who too attended that function at the time of release of a postage stamp on late Guru Dutt.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakila_%28actress%29
She retired from films in 1963 when she married and decided to move to United Kingdom with her husband who was not from the film industry. Her sister Noor (short for Noorjehan) was married to Johnny Walker (actor).

The famous song Babuji Dheere Chalna from Aar Paar was filmed on her

I remember Shyama from teen batiiii Chaar raaste! Was she in sangdil too ?
Shakila did full time heroine too? Was that with Sunil dut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 am 

Another big name in financial trouble:

RAVI CHOPRA of B R Films.

And the passing away of his uncle Yash Chopra today.

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/15 ... al-trouble

Ravi Chopra in financial trouble
By Bollywood Hungama News Network ,Oct 19, 2012 - 11:11 hrs IST

The iconic Chopra family seems to be in trouble with the recent High Court ruling. In fact Ravi Chopra, son of legendary filmmaker late B. R. Chopra, could lose all his properties, including family home B. R. House, if he fails to clear his debts of Rs. 32 crore by April next year.

Chopra, who is now 66 and ailing, owes the money to 26 creditors of B. R. Films and B. R. TV, to the tune of approximately Rs. 32 crores. The Bombay High Court in a recent order has listed seven family properties to be sold to pay off the debt if the family misses the April deadline in 2013.

Among the properties that have been listed from B. R. House are two bungalows in Khar, a set of apartments on Juhu Tara Road; an apartment in Worli; and a plot of land in Raigad district. However, the High court made it clear that iconic B. R. House must be put on the block only if the sale of all other properties fails to generate the required funds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

He can re make another of his dad hit with Salman and Katrina to cash out with Akki in guest / cameo ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 pm 

Financial Troubles and now:
Ravi Chopra admitted in ICU

Quote:

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/15 ... ted-in-ICU
Bollywood News
Ravi Chopra admitted in ICU
By Bollywood Hungama News Network,October 23, 2012 - 16:24 hrs IST

Just two days back, the whole world was shocked with the sudden demise of Yash Chopra. And now, his nephew filmmaker Ravi Chopra (66) has been admitted to the ICU of a city hospital.

Ravi, the son of late producer-director B. R. Chopra, has been reportedly diagnosed with an acute lung ailment.

The talented filmmaker has films like Zameer, The Burning Train, Baghban, Baabul to his credit.

Bollywood Hungama prays for the quick recovery of Ravi Chopra.

rana wrote:
Another big name in financial trouble:

RAVI CHOPRA of B R Films.

And the passing away of his uncle Yash Chopra today.

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/15 ... al-trouble

Ravi Chopra in financial trouble
By Bollywood Hungama News Network ,Oct 19, 2012 - 11:11 hrs IST

The iconic Chopra family seems to be in trouble with the recent High Court ruling. In fact Ravi Chopra, son of legendary filmmaker late B. R. Chopra, could lose all his properties, including family home B. R. House, if he fails to clear his debts of Rs. 32 crore by April next year.

Chopra, who is now 66 and ailing, owes the money to 26 creditors of B. R. Films and B. R. TV, to the tune of approximately Rs. 32 crores. The Bombay High Court in a recent order has listed seven family properties to be sold to pay off the debt if the family misses the April deadline in 2013.

Among the properties that have been listed from B. R. House are two bungalows in Khar, a set of apartments on Juhu Tara Road; an apartment in Worli; and a plot of land in Raigad district. However, the High court made it clear that iconic B. R. House must be put on the block only if the sale of all other properties fails to generate the required funds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:50 pm 

Legendary actress Suchitra Sen hospitalised, condition serious
Quote:
http://www.samachar.com/Legendary-actre ... adbbc.html
December 29, 2013
Legendary actress Suchitra Sen is in a serious condition after she was admitted to a private hospital in Kolkata following a respiratory tract infection, doctors said today.

The 82-year-old actress, who lives a secluded life and stays locked up inside her apartment, was admitted to Belle Vue Clinic earlier this week after she complained of breathlessness.

The clinic has formed a five-member-committee to monitor the health of its star patient 24x7 led by cardiologist Dr Subrata Moitra.

Sources in the Belle Vue Clinic said Sen is now on oxygen and has complained of chest pain following which her chest's CT scan was also done.

She is being administered antibiotics and oxygen, they said.

Beginning her career with the Bengali film 'Shesh Kothai' in 1952, Sen went on to receive a National Award for her performance in the 1955 Hindi film 'Devdas' and is the first Indian actress to be awarded at an international film festival - best actress award for 'Saat Paake Bandha' in 1963 Moscow film festival.

But after her 1978 movie "Pronoy Pasha" with Soumitra Chatterjee flopped, she disappeared from the public eye and even allegedly refused the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2005 preferring not to make a public appearance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm 

Was just wondering about another actor that appeared in so many films (over 500), Nazir Hussain.

Don't think he is alive anymore but no mention of his passing away anywhere on the web. But, his bio etc is in past tense, at places.

He was born 1922 and his last films were in mid 1980s.

-------------------

Another famous name Nasir Hussain, Amir Khan's uncle (1931 - 2002)

-------------------

Any relation between these two Nasir Hussains ?? Both Nazir/ Nasir and Hussain/ Hussein spellings are mixed up in various film credits and web pages.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:58 pm 

rana wrote:
Was just wondering about another actor that appeared in so many films (over 500), Nazir Hussain.

Don't think he is alive anymore but no mention of his passing away anywhere on the web. But, his bio etc is in past tense, at places.

He was born 1922 and his last films were in mid 1980s.

-------------------

Another famous name Nasir Hussain, Amir Khan's uncle (1931 - 2002)

-------------------

Any relation between these two Nasir Hussains ?? Both Nazir/ Nasir and Hussain/ Hussein spellings are mixed up in various film credits and web pages.

Nope, no relations. The first Nasir Hussain (born 1922) was a very successful character actor. Whereas the other Nasir Hussain (1931-2002) was the very successful producer/director of such films as 'Hum Kissise Kum Nahin' and who is the father of Mansoor Khan, director of 'Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander' and who is also the uncle of Aamir Khan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next