It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:22 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
rana wrote:
Another quiz as I found it interesting:

Can you recall

In which film Jeetender and Dimple Kapadia worked together. Dimple trying to seduce Jeetender.

Jeetendra and Dimple Kapadia did a couple of films together - Zakhmi Sher and Aaj Kie Aurat are the ones that come to mind. They also starred in Dil Aashna Hai, but they weren't opposite each other. If you are talking about the seductive song, I guess you are talking about Pataal Bhairavi?

Yes, Patal Bhairvi is the one I noticed Dimple Kapadia seductive song.
Yes, you are right, Zakhmi Sher and Aaj Ki Aurat too had Jeetender & Dimple. I had forgotten about those and had thought, at the time of above tid-bit, that Jeetender & Dimple were together in any film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 pm 

Another tid-bit,

Lets see who can ID the 4th actor (2nd from left; Dilip, Manoj, Rajender, ?) in the picture in link:

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/769763761313277921/

Answer is in the link but try to guess without looking at the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:25 pm 

I tried guessing Parikshit Sahni but I think that is incorrect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm 

As I said, answer is in the link, under replies. One of the two replies says IFTEKHAR. Seems correct. Remember, it's old old picture, around Manoj Kumar's 1st film.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:41 am 

Yes. Iftekhar and Manoj Kumar have a lot of early films in common. Parikshit Sahni majorly began acting in the late sixties, by when Manoj Kumar was already an established actor. So I would say Iftekhar was the correct guess. Although I am not able to recognise just by looking at the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:48 pm 

Actress Chanchal, who was sister of Madhubala has a daughter named Nafisa Ebrahim. Nafisa shares on Instagram, anecdotes related Madhubala's life and family, time and again. Once, she posted a head-scratching tale of the mismanagement of Madhubala's liquid assets. There are no names taken, only hints. I quote the entire write-up here. It is worth a read.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQVZZg8DuZ4/

Madhubala's Niece wrote:
In the mid 60's my aunt was very unwell due to a heart ailment and was going through a massive financial crunch, since she had stopped working in films. The 3 cars that she owned Plymouth, Chrysler and Chevrolet had also been sold off. There was this individual who came to visit her during her time of distress. This individual assured her that her lifelong savings would be well invested in a timber business and she would get a fixed return every month and all her worries would end. She was truly innocent and naive. She gave all her hard earned money packed in a suitcase to this individual.... As time elapsed this individual not only refused to receive her calls let alone pay any returns on her investment.
She panicked and at last sent for my mother by sending a maid with an enclosed letter.
Madhu aunty was pleading for her money over the phone, when my mother entered her room unannounced. In return that individuals' sibling was hurling abuses and threats over the phone.
My mother recalls she had turned blue in fear. She confessed to my mother that she didn't even have enough money to pay the next month's bills and cried bitterly. Well, my mother Chanchal is very well known for her volatile disposition. She told Madhu aunty, " I fought with Abba and gave you the keys of your lifelong savings and now you have done this. How can you ever trust the same person who has already deceived and humiliated you earlier? " Then Mummy made the call to another sibling of this individual and asked for the money. Fortunately, this intervention procured 98% of the money within a few days. This same money helped her survive till the very end. Only thing is this bag of money vanished suddenly after her death.
Today when I see the same individual , so old, blessed or should I say cursed with an extremely long life, no memory, poor health, coming in and out of hospitals.. I feel that life has come full circle. Justice has been delivered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 am 

Just came across a very famous, very melodious, excellent song and was surprised to find that I had never this film. (It was released just before I starting films as a routine).
The song:
Watan Pe Jo Fida Hoga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRA0uFy2evA

another hit song from that film:
Chaand Aahen Bharega, Phool Dil Thaam Lenge, Husn Ki Baat Chali To Sab Tera Naam Lenge

Film:: PHOOL BANE ANGAAREY (1963)

Quote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362023/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

Kalyanji Anandji have composed good music for the movie using the beautiful lyrics of Anand Bakshi. Other than the patriotic song - Watan Pe Jo Fida Hoga (sung by Mohammad Rafi), the movie contains my favourite admiring song in the voice of Mukesh - Chaand Aahen Bharega, Phool Dil Thaam Lenge, Husn Ki Baat Chali To Sab Tera Naam Lenge.

The title of the movie is as such due to a line of the patriotic song - Watan Pe Jo Fida Hoga, Amar Woh Naujawan Hoga - Chaman Waalon Ki Gairat Ko Hai Sayyaadon Ne Lalkaara; Utho, Har Phool Se Keh Do Ki Ban Jaaye Woh Angaara; Nahin To Doston, Ruswa Hamaara Gulsitaan Hoga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:04 pm 

Is this Kader Khan in this scene ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta355pktHEI (At 1:01:40)
If Yes, then this is his first appearance, 2 Yrs before credited in his filmography records.

Kader Khan's first Bollywood film, as per IMDB, Wikipedia etc is Rajesh Khanna's Daag (1973). (They also list another 1971 film that perhaps is a foreign film and most likely a wrong entry).
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0434318/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I noticed this scene in Feroz Khan's Mela. The role is a minor one but one of the climax scenes in that film. Only 2 scenes I remembered from that film I watched in 1971 and this scene is one of those two. So, obviously, it's an important scene and though the Waiter (Is it Kader Khan ??) is not the main character, it's dominated by the Waiter (2-3 min).

The youtube video AR is off by a mile and even after correcting for AR, as much as I could, it was still stretched a lot horizontally. If it's Kader Khan, he is 33 Yrs (much younger appearance than what we are familiar with) at the time of shoot, so difficult to recognize. Moreover, Waiter's voice could be dubbed ?? (Kader Khan name does not appear in the beginning credits either).

What do you think ?? Is it Kader Khan ?? I think, it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:14 pm 

rana wrote:
Is this Kader Khan in this scene ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta355pktHEI (At 1:01:40)
If Yes, then this is his first appearance, 2 Yrs before credited in his filmography records.

Kader Khan's first Bollywood film, as per IMDB, Wikipedia etc is Rajesh Khanna's Daag (1973). (They also list another 1971 film that perhaps is a foreign film and most likely a wrong entry).
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0434318/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I noticed this scene in Feroz Khan's Mela. The role is a minor one but one of the climax scenes in that film. Only 2 scenes I remembered from that film I watched in 1971 and this scene is one of those two. So, obviously, it's an important scene and though the Waiter (Is it Kader Khan ??) is not the main character, it's dominated by the Waiter (2-3 min).

The youtube video AR is off by a mile and even after correcting for AR, as much as I could, it was still stretched a lot horizontally. If it's Kader Khan, he is 33 Yrs (much younger appearance than what we are familiar with) at the time of shoot, so difficult to recognize. Moreover, Waiter's voice could be dubbed ?? (Kader Khan name does not appear in the beginning credits either).

What do you think ?? Is it Kader Khan ?? I think, it is.

I don't know, it doesn't look like Kader Khan to me! He had a very distinctive look even in his earlier films, I think he would have been recognisable even at a younger age.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:29 am 

This billboard in a scene in a 1962 film, surprised me.
Watching Dev - Sadhana's film Asli Naqli, around 30 min interval, a street (Bombay) scene has a company Billboard
ICT - International Computers & Tabulators INDIA Pvt Ltd.
A computer company and in 1962. Made me wonder and then I also recalled, that in 1972 I was learning computer early language (BASIC). So, quite possible computers would have been around in 1962, but in India ??
Sure, next thing was to check google:
Quote:
International Computers and Tabulators or ICT was a British computer manufacturer, formed in 1959 by a merger of the British Tabulating Machine Company (BTM) and Powers-Samas. In 1963 it acquired the business computer divisions of Ferranti.

Next step was to check history of Computers.
Computers had been around since thousands of years. Mechanical, Logical etc etc. And then as electronics came around, there were Vacuum Tube computers. And then late 1940s (or may be even sooner), as semiconductors came around, solid state computers became available. Personal computers, google shows, started 1960.

Of course, what an early plus, minus, multiply, divide simple handheld calculator in the 1970s could do, will take a thousands of square ft building for a 1940s computer.

(BTW, recall Sliderule. This too is described as a mechanical calculator).