It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:14 pm 

I'd never heard of Chitra before. Thanks for bringing her to our notice.

I saw an Instagram post about Mehtab Modi (wife of yore director Sohrab Modi). Thought I'd post it here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-yXr67HOlm/

Quote:
Today (10/04) is the 13th death anniversary of the bold and beautiful, Mehtab - a very popular actress of yesteryear.
She was a Muslim, married to the legendary filmmaker Sohrab Modi, a Parsi. In an interview given in 1986 she said, “I had my kerchiefs monogrammed with ME for Mehtab Ebrahim. Once it was done as MM by mistake. I told the fellow angrily ‘Go and give this to Minerva Movietone.’ Little did I know I’d marry a Parsi and be Mehtab Modi one day, the wife of the owner of Minerva Movietone!” She enacted a daring bathing scene in “Chitralekha” in 1941. In an interview, Kidar Sharma, director of the film disclosed that before “we started shooting the bathing scene, I took my heroine Mehtab aside and explained to her how and why I was doing the scene. She said, “If the story demands this scene, I see no vulgarity in it, and so I am not afraid to strip, because we have no ugliness to hide. However I do have one condition. I consider my director to be just like my father and I will only strip if you ask everyone to clear the set. Since you are a good photographer yourself, please ask the cameraman to set the lights and the camera using a double, and when the set is cleared of everyone, you will be the only one with me and I will gladly perform. When you say the word action I will strip and enter the marble tub and enact the scene where I have to wash my body with a lotus flower till I hear the word `cut’… but there should be no retakes.” I agreed and Mehtab gracefully and beautifully performed.” Suraiya's voice became associated with Mehtab. #Suraiya was only 13 when she recorded the first sang for Mehtab in Sharda (1942) with the song 'Panchhi ja peechhe raha hai bachpan mera'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm 

AZAD IRANI
Guiness World Book Of Records: acting as Tarzan in the most Tarzan movies.

If you didn't watch his movies, recall him in his most memorable and famous but tiny role as 'Man In Cage' in INTAQAM.
He had his own huge fan following. Perhaps 1st Bollywood Zimbo & Tarzan series films (Khiladi series strted in te 1980s)
Acted till year 2000 (Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya)
D O B Nov 23, 1938
Is he still alive ?? His 2016 picyures are on the web. (Settled in Maryland US). In 2001 he was diagnosed with Parkinsons.
https://cineplot.com/azad/
rana wrote:
CHITRA

Perhaps we mentioned this name before, but did not find any search results in zulm. Perhaps, we didn't.

This is another famous name from the 50s and 60s. Recall Chitra-Azad pairing, in main leads, in many 'B' movies.

She passed away in 2006. (not sure if we noticed and posted this in zulm thread 'The Departed')

As I mention Chitra-Azad pairing, here is info about Azad:

Quote:
2000 Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa (as Azad)
1990 Kali Ganga
Man who fights Govinda (as Azad)
1990 Zimmedaaar (as Azad Irani)
1989 Jaaydaad
Azad (as Azad)
1988 Mar Mitenge
Azad (as Azad Irani)
1987 Naam O Nishan (as Azad)
1987 Satyamev Jayate
Truck Driver (as Azad)
1987 Anjaam
Bhaskar (as Azaad)
1986 Mera Dharam (as Azad)
1985 Yaar Kasam (as Azad Irani)
1985 Sitamgar (as Azad)
1984 Sharara (as Azad)
1984 Jhutha Sach
Punk (song "Loot Gayi") (as Azad)
1984 Jagir
Azad (as Azad)
1984 Andar Baahar
Henchman (uncredited)
1984 Farishta (as Azaad)
1984 Boxer (as Azad)
1983 Karate (as Azad)
1983 Pukar (as Azaad)
1983 Nastik (as Azaad)
1983 Taqdeer
Bandit on elevating crane (as Azad)
1982 Farz Aur Kanoon (as Azad)
1982 Khush Naseeb (as Azad)
1982 Samraat
Tiger (as Azad)
1982 Dharam Kanta
Police Inspector (uncredited)
1982 Lakshmi (as Azad)
1982 Badle Ki Aag
Azad (uncredited)
1982 Sanam Teri Kasam
Gulab - Henchman (as Azad)
1982 Desh Premee (as Azad)
1981 Dhuan
Mangu (as Azad)
1981 Josh (as Azad)
1981 Aapas Ki Baat
Kaalia's accomplice (as Azaad)
1981 Naseeb
Rustom (as Azad)
1981 Bulundi (as Azaad)
1980 Qurbani
Man at Fishing Boat (as Azad)
1980 Saboot
Shera (as Azad)
1980 Dhan Daulat
Sudhir's Friend (as Azad)
1979 Lakhan (as Azad)
1979 Suhaag (as Azad)
1979 Muqabla (as Azad)
1979 Naya Bakra (as Azad)
1978 Devata (as Azad)
1978 Phandebaaz (as Azad)
1978 Don
Azad (as Azad)
1978 Kasme Vaade
Caffee arendator (as Azad)
1978 Toofani Takkar (as Azad)
1977 Dharam Veer
Azad Singh (as Azad)
1977 Wafadar (as Azad)
1976 Barood
Gupta's assistant (as Azad)
1976 Naag Champa (as Azad)
1976 Dus Numbri (as Azad)
1975 Ganga Ki Kasam (as Azad)
1975 Jaggu (as Azad)
1975 Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka
Pal's accomplice (as Azad)
1975 Dharmatma
Bandit (uncredited)
1973 Inspector Rekha (as Azad)
1973 Jasoos Ladki (as Azad)
1973 Rajkumar Sooraj (as Azad)
1972 Bharat Ke Shaheed (as Azad)
1972 Ustad Mera Naam (as Azad)
1971 Sharmeelee (as Azad)
1971 Sampoorna Devi Darshan
Merchant (as Azad)
1970 Gunahon Ka Raaste
Inspector Suresh (as Azad)
1970 Khooni Saaya (as Azad)
1970 Muqabla (as Azad)
1970 Tarzan 303 (as Azad)
1969 Intaquam
Man in cage (as Azad)
1969 Sakhi Lutera (as Azad)
1968 Anjaam (as Azad)
1968 Balram Shri Krishna (as Azad)
1968 CID Agent 302 (as Azad)
1968 Azad Champion (as Azad)
1968 Lutera Aur Jadugar (as Azad)
1968 Tarzan in Fairyland (as Azad)
1967 Baghdad Ki Raatein (as Azad)
1967 Rustom Sohrab
Karloos, Tehmina's Bodyguard (as Azad)
1967 Jungle Ki Hoor (as Azad)
1966 Daku Mangal Singh (as Azad)
1966 Insaaf
Jugal (as Azad)
1966 Zimbo Ka Beta
Zimbo / Rashid (as Azad)
1966 Gogola (as Azad)
1966 Tarzan's Beloved (as Azad)
1966 Tarzan and the Magical Lamp
Tarzan (as Azad)
1965 Boxer (as Azad)
1965 Chhupa Rustam (as Azad)
1965 Fauladi Mukka (as Azad)
1965 Shahi Lutera
Ajit (as Azad)
1965 Tarzan and the Circus (as Azad)
1965 Teen Sardar
Feroz (as Azad)
1964 Magic Carpet (as Azad)
1964 Rustom-E-Rome
Asalan (as Azad)
1964 Tarzan and the Mermaid (as Azad)
1964 Captain Azad (as Azad)
1964 Khufia Mahal
Qawali Singer on flying boat (as Azad)
1964 Pahadi Nagin (as Azad)
1964 Tarzan and Captain Kishore (as Azad)
1964 Tarzan and Delilah (as Azad)
1963 Tarzan and the Magician (as Azad)
1963 Junglee Raja (as Azad)
1963 Kala Ghoda (as Azad)
1963 Patal Nagri (as Azad)
1963 Tarzan and the Gorilla (as Azad)
1962 Jadoo Mahal (as Azad)
1962 Madam Zapatta (as Azad)
1962 Madam Zorro (as Azad)
1962 Tarzan the Storm (as Azad)
1961 Hurricane Express (as Azad)
1961 Elephant Queen (as Azad)
1961 Night Bird (as Azad)
1960 Zalim Tera Jawab Nahin (as Azad)
1960 Zimbo Shaher Mein
Zimbo (as Azad)
1960 Black Tiger (as Azad)
1960 Lady of the Lake (as Azad)
1960 Pedro (as Azad)
1958 Zimbo
Zimbo (as Azad)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:09 am 

Ragz wrote:
I'd never heard of Chitra before. Thanks for bringing her to our notice.

I saw an Instagram post about Mehtab Modi (wife of yore director Sohrab Modi). Thought I'd post it here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-yXr67HOlm/

Quote:
Today (10/04) is the 13th death anniversary of the bold and beautiful, Mehtab - a very popular actress of yesteryear.
She was a Muslim, married to the legendary filmmaker Sohrab Modi, a Parsi. In an interview given in 1986 she said, “I had my kerchiefs monogrammed with ME for Mehtab Ebrahim. Once it was done as MM by mistake. I told the fellow angrily ‘Go and give this to Minerva Movietone.’ Little did I know I’d marry a Parsi and be Mehtab Modi one day, the wife of the owner of Minerva Movietone!” She enacted a daring bathing scene in “Chitralekha” in 1941. In an interview, Kidar Sharma, director of the film disclosed that before “we started shooting the bathing scene, I took my heroine Mehtab aside and explained to her how and why I was doing the scene. She said, “If the story demands this scene, I see no vulgarity in it, and so I am not afraid to strip, because we have no ugliness to hide. However I do have one condition. I consider my director to be just like my father and I will only strip if you ask everyone to clear the set. Since you are a good photographer yourself, please ask the cameraman to set the lights and the camera using a double, and when the set is cleared of everyone, you will be the only one with me and I will gladly perform. When you say the word action I will strip and enter the marble tub and enact the scene where I have to wash my body with a lotus flower till I hear the word `cut’… but there should be no retakes.” I agreed and Mehtab gracefully and beautifully performed.” Suraiya's voice became associated with Mehtab. #Suraiya was only 13 when she recorded the first sang for Mehtab in Sharda (1942) with the song 'Panchhi ja peechhe raha hai bachpan mera'.

Mehtab is also the original 'Jhansi Ki Rani' (1944) (Jhansi Ki Rani - Hindi version, Tiger & The Flame - English version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:57 am 

Shahu Modak

1918-1993 (active in films 1932 - 1986)

Famous for acting role of Lord Krishna around 30 films.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595194/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahu_Modak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:12 pm 

Another Hero of Yesteryears:

RANJAN
(1918-1983)

Recall his movie Madari famous song 'Dil Lootnewale Jadoorgar Ab Maine Tujhe Pehchaana Hai'

Mostly Hero in 'B' Movies and later character actor.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0710206/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm 

JAWAHAR KAUL
A forgotten actor of yesteryear.

https://cinemaazi.com/feature/kismet-ha ... wahar-kaul
This is a feature article on the actor.

His first film according to IMDb came out in 1948 (Raees), and his last performance was in a film of 1989 (Aakhri Badla); implying that this actor had a career spanning 40 years.

He passed away in April, 2019. Media did not deem this worthy of much coverage.
https://www.tellychakkar.com/movie/movi ... way-190422
One of the few coverages of his death in mainstream media.
There was no reporting of his death on zulm.net either.

Quote:
Jawahar Kaul, who had acted in many super hit films including ‘Pehli Jhalak,’Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam’, ‘Sheesh Mahal’, ‘Gharibi’, ‘Bhabhi’, ‘Papi’, ‘Dekh Kabira Roya’ and ‘Adalat’ passed away on 15 April 2019 at his residence at Yari Road, Andheri West in Mumbai. He was 92 and is survived by son Ajay Kaul and three daughters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:03 pm 

Ragz wrote:
JAWAHAR KAUL
A forgotten actor of yesteryear.

https://cinemaazi.com/feature/kismet-ha ... wahar-kaul
This is a feature article on the actor.

His first film according to IMDb came out in 1948 (Raees), and his last performance was in a film of 1989 (Aakhri Badla); implying that this actor had a career spanning 40 years.

He passed away in April, 2019. Media did not deem this worthy of much coverage.
https://www.tellychakkar.com/movie/movi ... way-190422
One of the few coverages of his death in mainstream media.
There was no reporting of his death on zulm.net either.

Quote:
Jawahar Kaul, who had acted in many super hit films including ‘Pehli Jhalak,’Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam’, ‘Sheesh Mahal’, ‘Gharibi’, ‘Bhabhi’, ‘Papi’, ‘Dekh Kabira Roya’ and ‘Adalat’ passed away on 15 April 2019 at his residence at Yari Road, Andheri West in Mumbai. He was 92 and is survived by son Ajay Kaul and three daughters.

Sure, not heard or noticed this name before. He sure had some meaty roles. e.g paired with Shyama in Bhabhi.
IMDB listings rarely has his name and the character he played, connected. e.g Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam - which caracter did he play ??
In Bhabhi, he is main negative/ positive role but the print of that film on youtube not very clear.
(He worked for Mitun Chakrovorthy as his Secretary)
Only consolation is that his daughter Shabnam Kapoor is well established in Bollywood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:24 am 

Another One:

Dulari (real name Ambika Gautam) (18 April 1928 – 18 January 2013)

Haven't heard much lately. Was a common name in the 70s - 90s and also was in lead roles in her younger years.

Has been acting since (wikipedia lists 1943 Hamari Baat and IMDB lists 1924 Poona Raided) and last 2 films, listed in IMDB, are Yaar Meri Zindagi in 2008 and Ziddi in 1997. IMDB perhaps has 2 actresses profiles mixed ??
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0241291/?ref_=tt_cl_t13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulari_(actress)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:08 am 

Another forgotten name:

JUGAL KISHORE (Producer, Director, Actor, - - -)
(not to be confused with Jugal Kishore Mehra)

He died young in 1979 and not too many films. His most successful film (Producer, Director) was Dada and that was released after his death. A few other films too of the 50s & 60s.

Came across this name as noticed a forgotten song, 'Chhand Ko Kya Maloom, Chaahta Hai Usko Koi Chakore' from the forgotten film 'LAL BANGLA'. It's not clear from IMDB that it's Jugal Kishore in the role of Raj in romantic lead, but I think it is him (He is the producer of the film).

Can anyone confirm this please that it's really Jugal Kishore in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kWwF5Fd3XY

BTW, another name of interest is the female lead in this film, JAYANTHI. Mainly heroine in South Indian films but has acted in quite a few Hindi films too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231950/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0457255/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0419682/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:16 am 

SMRITI BISWAS NARANG.
Another big name of yesteryear, languishing in poverty. Struggling to make ends meet.

https://www.thequint.com/entertainment/ ... mrinal-sen

Quote:
Star of Guru Dutt, Raj Kapoor Films Smriti Biswas Lives In Poverty
Smriti Biswas who co-starred with Dev Anand and Kishore Kumar is living a life of poverty in Nashik.

KHALID MOHAMED
Updated: 25 Sep 2020, 8:33 PM IST
BOLLYWOOD

At the age of 91, the pixie-like actor of the 1950s – Smriti Biswas – who featured in the films of Guru Dutt, V Shantaram, Bimal Roy, Mrinal Sen, BR Chopra, and Raj Kapoor besides co-starring with Dev Anand, Kishore Kumar and Bhagwan Dada among others – is leading a hand-to-mouth existence in a one-room tenement in Nashik since nearly three years now.

The actor who started off as a child artiste and gamely took on lead and supporting roles, didn’t ever become a household name, even if she did appear as a cover girl on Filmfare magazine. Featuring in approximately 30 films, moreover the Bengal-born Smriti Biswas, retired prematurely on marrying the doctor-turned-film director SD Narang. She quit because on the day of the wedding itself, Narang had asserted, “I need a wife, not an actress.”

That she is virtually penniless today was found by actor Anju Mahendroo. Next, filmmaker and archivist Shivendra Singh Dungarpur tracked the once-feisty actor to a cramped apartment in Goregaon which was beyond her means. This compelled her to relocate in Nashik. She has two sons, Rajeev and Jeetu.

The latter has been trying to raise funds from the Cine and TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA). But since she had not registered herself as a member, there is an impasse. Amit Behl, spokesperson of CINTAA, however, did assure The Quint that they would inquire into her case and do whatever is humanly possible.Clearly, here’s another instance of a Bollywood heroine whose riches-to-rags story has resonances of the poverty-stricken circumstances under which several film celebrities – notably danseuse Cuckoo, Meena Kumari, Master Nissar, Bharat Bhushan, Bhagwan Dada and the stunt movie queen Chitra – passed away in dire straits, when they no longer received acting offers.

Smriti Biswas is not bitter at all about the film industry, saying, “I enjoyed myself thoroughly while my career lasted.” Retaining her zest for life, she does add ruefully that any form of medical and financial aid is essential to make ends meet currently, especially while the COVID-19 pandemic rages.

Starting off as a child actor at the age of 10 in the Bengali film Sandhya, she went on to act in several more Kolkata-produced features including Hemant Bose’s Dwanda and Mrinal Sen’s Neel Akasher Neechey.

On shifting to Bombay, during the 1950s she enacted pivotal parts in Bimal Roy’s Pehla Aadmi, AR Kardar’s Bhaagam Bhaag opposite Kishore Kumar, Bhagwan Dada’s Baap Re Baap, AN Bannerjee’s Humsafar with Dev Anand, Guru Dutt’s Sailaab with Geeta Bali, V Shantaram’s Teen Batti Aur Chaar Raasta, the Raj Kapoor-produced Jagte Raho, BR Chopra’s Chandni Chowk toplining Meena Kumari, besides turning in a guest appearance in SD Narang’s Dilli ka Thug. She was equally at home in comedy, social and period dramas.

It’s not her films which she reminiscences about as readily as she does of her close friendship with Nargis, Nirupa Roy, Begum Para, Geeta Dutt and Shyama during the 1950s “when there was no arch competition but just an unbreakable camaraderie. We used to take off for picnics and lunches. Nargis used to have a small car.”

Her memory wavers frequently. Yet, she’s extremely articulate about the reason for quitting acting: “My husband wanted a mother to be there for his children. So I accepted. And in my house on the third floor, we had a huge set – one for shooting scenes and the other for dances. Hema Malini, Rekha, Helen, Reena Roy, Rajesh Khanna and Sunil Dutt would come there so often. So I hardly missed the industry.”

The film flopped, SD Narang made five more films but the fortunes had already reversed for the family. He passed away at the age of 67 in 1986 and “a day doesn’t go by when I don’t remember him,” Smiriti Biswas narrates, her eyes moistening.

Shivendra Singh Dungarpur, director of the Film Heritage Foundation, is in the process of preserving the surviving memorabilia of her films, some of which are in the danger of fraying or crumbling. As for her upkeep and expenses for her age-related illnesses, yesteryear’s peppy Smriti Biswas will have to depend either on the film industry, or the kindness of strangers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:51 am 

Smriti Biswas

Quote:
https://www.thequint.com/entertainment/ ... mrinal-sen

Star of Guru Dutt, Raj Kapoor Films Smriti Biswas Lives In Poverty
(Wife of S D Narang)

Smriti Biswas who co-starred with Dev Anand and Kishore Kumar is living a life of poverty in Nashik.
Khalid Mohamed
Updated: 25 Sep 2020, 8:33 PM IST

At the age of 91, the pixie-like actor of the 1950s – Smriti Biswas – who featured in the films of Guru Dutt, V Shantaram, Bimal Roy, Mrinal Sen, BR Chopra, and Raj Kapoor besides co-starring with Dev Anand, Kishore Kumar and Bhagwan Dada among others – is leading a hand-to-mouth existence in a one-room tenement in Nashik since nearly three years now.

The actor who started off as a child artiste and gamely took on lead and supporting roles, didn’t ever become a household name, even if she did appear as a cover girl on Filmfare magazine. Featuring in approximately 30 films, moreover the Bengal-born Smriti Biswas, retired prematurely on marrying the doctor-turned-film director SD Narang. She quit because on the day of the wedding itself, Narang had asserted, “I need a wife, not an actress.”
Smriti Biswas in a film from the 1950s.
Smriti Biswas in a film from the 1950s.(Photo Courtesy: Twitter)

That she is virtually penniless today was found by actor Anju Mahendroo. Next, filmmaker and archivist Shivendra Singh Dungarpur tracked the once-feisty actor to a cramped apartment in Goregaon which was beyond her means. This compelled her to relocate in Nashik. She has two sons, Rajeev and Jeetu.

The latter has been trying to raise funds from the Cine and TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA). But since she had not registered herself as a member, there is an impasse. Amit Behl, spokesperson of CINTAA, however, did assure The Quint that they would inquire into her case and do whatever is humanly possible.
Smriti Biswas at her home in Nashik today.
Smriti Biswas at her home in Nashik today.(Photo Courtesy: Khalid Mohamed)

Yesteryear heroine Asha Parekh said that she knew Smriti Biswas personally and would contact her to offer help. Meanwhile, Dungarpur has made a donation towards her caretaking but as he admits, “It is not sufficient to ensure that she leads her life without financial worries.”

Clearly, here’s another instance of a Bollywood heroine whose riches-to-rags story has resonances of the poverty-stricken circumstances under which several film celebrities – notably danseuse Cuckoo, Meena Kumari, Master Nissar, Bharat Bhushan, Bhagwan Dada and the stunt movie queen Chitra – passed away in dire straits, when they no longer received acting offers.
Smriti Biswas at her one-room tenement in Nashik, Maharashtra.
Smriti Biswas at her one-room tenement in Nashik, Maharashtra.(Photo Courtesy: Khalid Mohamed)

Smriti Biswas is not bitter at all about the film industry, saying, “I enjoyed myself thoroughly while my career lasted.” Retaining her zest for life, she does add ruefully that any form of medical and financial aid is essential to make ends meet currently, especially while the COVID-19 pandemic rages.

Starting off as a child actor at the age of 10 in the Bengali film Sandhya, she went on to act in several more Kolkata-produced features including Hemant Bose’s Dwanda and Mrinal Sen’s Neel Akasher Neechey.
Smriti Biswas co-starred with Kishore Kumar and Nutan in <i>Dilli Ka Thug.</i>
Smriti Biswas co-starred with Kishore Kumar and Nutan in Dilli Ka Thug.(Photo Courtesy: Pinterest)

On shifting to Bombay, during the 1950s she enacted pivotal parts in Bimal Roy’s Pehla Aadmi, AR Kardar’s Bhaagam Bhaag opposite Kishore Kumar, Bhagwan Dada’s Baap Re Baap, AN Bannerjee’s Humsafar with Dev Anand, Guru Dutt’s Sailaab with Geeta Bali, V Shantaram’s Teen Batti Aur Chaar Raasta, the Raj Kapoor-produced Jagte Raho, BR Chopra’s Chandni Chowk toplining Meena Kumari, besides turning in a guest appearance in SD Narang’s Dilli ka Thug. She was equally at home in comedy, social and period dramas.

It’s not her films which she reminiscences about as readily as she does of her close friendship with Nargis, Nirupa Roy, Begum Para, Geeta Dutt and Shyama during the 1950s “when there was no arch competition but just an unbreakable camaraderie. We used to take off for picnics and lunches. Nargis used to have a small car.”
Smriti Biswas seen here beside Lata Mangeshkar at Geeta Dutt’s wedding.
Smriti Biswas seen here beside Lata Mangeshkar at Geeta Dutt’s wedding.(Photo Courtesy: Twitter)

Her memory wavers frequently. Yet, she’s extremely articulate about the reason for quitting acting: “My husband wanted a mother to be there for his children. So I accepted. And in my house on the third floor, we had a huge set – one for shooting scenes and the other for dances. Hema Malini, Rekha, Helen, Reena Roy, Rajesh Khanna and Sunil Dutt would come there so often. So I hardly missed the industry.”

SD Narang directed what is termed as India’s first “underwater movie” Anmol Moti (1969), with Jeetendra and Babita. But she discloses that it was largely shot in the swimming pool of their house.

The film flopped, SD Narang made five more films but the fortunes had already reversed for the family. He passed away at the age of 67 in 1986 and “a day doesn’t go by when I don’t remember him,” Smiriti Biswas narrates, her eyes moistening.

Shivendra Singh Dungarpur, director of the Film Heritage Foundation, is in the process of preserving the surviving memorabilia of her films, some of which are in the danger of fraying or crumbling. As for her upkeep and expenses for her age-related illnesses, yesteryear’s peppy Smriti Biswas will have to depend either on the film industry, or the kindness of strangers.
Published: 25 Sep 2020, 6:15 PM IST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am 

rana wrote:
CHITRA

Perhaps we mentioned this name before, but did not find any search results in zulm. Perhaps, we didn't.

This is another famous name from the 50s and 60s. Recall Chitra-Azad pairing, in main leads, in many 'B' movies.

She passed away in 2006. (not sure if we noticed and posted this in zulm thread 'The Departed')

One of her most classic screen presences: Mere Mehboob Na Ja, Aaj Ki Raat Na Ja song in Noor Mahal (1965)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVt7eG4 ... unlover786

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:50 pm 

I have a question for Rana ji.

Let's talk about Dina Pathak (nee Gandhi). Now she is an actress, that was by no means forgotten. Do not think she will ever be forgotten. She has two sisters. One is Shanta Gandhi, a proponent of Indian theatre. The other sister is Tarla Mehta. Google search leads me to believe that this Tarla Mehta is the same actress with Dharmendra in the film Shola Aur Shabnam.
I am really doubtful that the two ladies are the same person. This looks like another instance of names and work credits getting mixed up.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0576582/
^ This is the imdb profile in question. Tarla Mehta's filmography is listed as:

Ek Chadar Maili Si (1986)
Heat and Dust (1982)
Gandhi (1982)
Damaad (1978)
Ghar (1978)
Ranak Devi (1973)
Sara Akash (1969)
Hasta Melapa (1969)
Ramat Ramade Ram (1964)
Shola Aur Shabnam (1962)
Ek Ke Baad Ek (1960)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:05 pm 

Ragz wrote:
I have a question for Rana ji.

Let's talk about Dina Pathak (nee Gandhi). She has two sisters. One is Shanta Gandhi, a proponent of Indian theatre. The other sister is Tarla Mehta. Google search leads me to believe that this Tarla Mehta is the same actress with Dharmendra in the film Shola Aur Shabnam.
I am really doubtful that the two ladies are the same person. This looks like another instance of names and work credits getting mixed up.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0576582/
^ This is the imdb profile in question. Tarla Mehta's filmography is listed as:

Ek Chadar Maili Si (1986)
Heat and Dust (1982)
Gandhi (1982)
Damaad (1978)
Ghar (1978)
Ranak Devi (1973)
Sara Akash (1969)
Hasta Melapa (1969)
Ramat Ramade Ram (1964)
Shola Aur Shabnam (1962)
Ek Ke Baad Ek (1960)

Most likely, it's the same person. Tarla was introduced in film SHOLA AUR SHABNAM in 1961 (was also in one 1960 film). Film flopped and so did Tarla's film career. One comment in the newspaper (Hidustan - Hindi publication of The Hindustan Times) from her press conference was, "she's not that pretty"). IMDB shows her film appearances every 3-4 years. Her family members (Supriya Pathak, Naseeruddin Shah) can confirm if it was Tarla Mehta in Shoa Aur Shabnam. Another way to check is by checking her pictures, time wise, until a film where Tarla Mehta's known film like Damaad, Gandhi etc.

BTW, despite excellent music and acting, Shola Aur Shabnam flopped but the producer director Ramesh Saigal believed in the story/project. He re-made the film, this time put in glamour, color and with beautiful top heroine of the time (Sadhna), better music - ISHQ PAR ZOR NAHIN. But that film too did not succeed. I liked both the films, IPZN my all time favourite. Both films had excellent songs. I think, Sadhna looked the prettiest in ISHQ PAR ZOR NAHIN and in RAJKUMAR (Shammi Kapoor).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 am 

Om Shivpuri

Anyone remember character actor Om Shivpuri. He used to be in every other film in the 70s and 80s. A very familiar face (at least to me). Just recalled that name as I started watching Asaad Ka Ek Din that was Om Shivpuri's first film in 1971-72.
(31 of his films were with Rajesh Khanna as hero)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Shivpuri
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0794511/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk4

He died in 1990 of Heart Attack, but another 15-20 films of his released after his dearth. The last one Aakhri Sangharsh releasing in 1997 (7 years after his death).

His wife actress Sudha Shivpuri too died in 2015 ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7764&p=107677&hilit=sudha#p107677 ). That too is a very familiar face. She was most famous for the TV serial 'Kyun Ki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi'.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0989943/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Their daughter is actress Ritu Shivpuri
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0794512/?ref_=nmbio_trv_5

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next