It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:59 pm 

These posts have been copied from the Ghajini movie thread to allow the Ghajini thread to remain focussed on the movie, and allow discussion on spoiler and moderation concerns separately here, under the correct forum, and more fully...
Thx.
NewDeep

It all started with the following post from shamrat :-)

Taran Adarsh’s Review
The wait is finally over! An Aamir Khan film is nothing short of an event. The supremely talented actor acts in one film a year and no two films are ever identical in terms of plotline. No wonder then that you await an Aamir starrer with bated breath.

GHAJINI, the Tamil version, has been a massive hit and so was its dubbed Telugu version. Will the Hindi adaptation live up to the humungous expectations? The hype is unmatched and you expect no less than a present-day masterpiece.
Now the good news: GHAJINI demonstrates how strong film-making can enhance and elevate an already solid concept.

GHAJINI is a revenge saga, one ingredient that has been the staple diet of Hindi films since time immemorial. It is a powerful film. It has the power to sweep you off your feet from the word 'go'. It has a riveting story, which has been told with flourish by director A.R. Murugadoss. And, of course, it has a knockout performance by Aamir Khan. If at all there's a shred of doubt whether Aamir is The Best in the business, all you've got to do is check out GHAJINI.
Flaws any? Running time [almost 3 hours]? Not at all! There's so much happening in every scene and the screenplay is so gripping that you don't feel the need to look at the auditorium ceiling or at your watch at brief intervals. You aren't restless. As moviegoers, we've watched countless good versus evil fares over the years and although GHAJINI belongs to the same family, not once does it take the beaten track. The story has been told differently and most importantly, the story offers so many twists-n-turns that you just can't guess what would unfold next.

Is it violent? It is, at times, but the violence here is justified. In fact, every time the protagonist bashes up the evil-doers, you clap and root for him. The climax is jaw-dropping -- dissimilar from the original, but it's an out of the world experience nonetheless.

To sum up, GHAJINI is commercial Hindi cinema at its best. The film has 'Hit' written all over it. Let me put it this way: Cancel whatever you're doing today and go watch GHAJINI instead.

<SPOILER WARNING: Reading this may spoil your movie experience>
Aamir Khan is suffering from acute short-term memory loss set off by the violent murder of his girlfriend Asin. He's got to work around this handicap, but with methodical and meticulous determination. Aamir etches a path of clues that lead him on his road.

To aid him in his quest, he carries around a sheaf of Polaroids and when he is really sure of a piece of information, he has it tattooed on his body, which stands in for the damaged part of his mind. His indelibly marked torso is the repository of his grief, his rage and his reason to go on living.

Any more revelation would do gross injustice to the film and to its viewer.

First things first! GHAJINI is not MEMENTO. There're minor similarities, but GHAJINI takes a completely different route to tell its story. Director A.R. Murugadoss tells this one differently. It starts off with what happens in the past, comes to the present-day, goes back in time again and returns to the contemporary again. This is a breathless, exciting story, heart-breaking and exhilarating at the same time.

Hindi movies have often depicted people suffering from amnesia/memory loss, but GHAJINI is poles apart because the protagonist recalls events only for 15 minutes. The story is its USP, without a doubt. But what adds sheen and glory to the story is Aamir's portrayal of a man suffering from short-term memory loss. Aamir hardly speaks. In fact, the leading lady [Asin] speaks more than Aamir in the film. But Aamir speaks volumes with his eyes, he conveys whatever has to be conveyed through his body language, he says it all with his facial expressions and that only makes GHAJINI a memorable, never-seen-before experience.

Director A.R. Murugadoss deserves brownie points for not just coming up with an interesting story, but also presenting it [refreshingly] differently. The storyteller balances the light moments and the ones demanding intensity with expertise. There's dum in every sequence. Even if the director has to depict violence, he doesn't resort to blood-n-gore or knives-swords-pistols for effect.

A.R. Rahman's music is top notch. At least three numbers have the unmistakable stamp of a genius -- 'Guzarish', 'Behka' and 'Kaise Mujhe'. Ravi Chandran's cinematography is stunning. The film bears a stylish look all through. The action sequences are brilliantly executed. The Hindi moviegoers haven't seen such scenes ever.

Aamir delivers his career-best performance. In the first place, it requires courage and maturity to name the film after the villain. Knowing how egoistic our stars are, something like this is next to impossible in Hindi films.

A lot has been said and written about the GHAJINI look -- Aamir's hairstyle and his dream physique. It's awe-inspiring and if more and more people adopt the 'Aamir look' or hit the gym, it would be courtesy the actor.

As far as his acting is concerned, he's natural as the tycoon, but like a wounded, ferocious tiger when he goes on an avenging spree.

Without doubt, it's a concentrated, layered performance. He acts with his entire being. His body movement, the details of his performance, everything rings true. He is both vulnerable and hard. The pain in his face when he can't remember, is palpable. It's not only the plot that carries GHAJINI. It's also the mood and the expression on Aamir's face that makes GHAJINI a treat.
<SPOILER WARNING ENDS: Reading the above text in small font may spoil your movie experience>

Asin is fabulous. To share the screen space with an actor of the stature of Aamir Khan and yet remain in your memory even after the show has ended is no cakewalk. She looks fresh and photogenic and acts her part brilliantly. Pradeep Rawat, the villain, is first-rate. Jiah Khan impresses, especially in the sequence when Aamir follows her to a shopping mall.

On the whole, GHAJINI is a winner all the way. The film will set new records and has the merits to emerge one of the biggest Hits of all times. The weekend business should be historic, the Week 1 business should be unparalleled, the lifetime gross should be amongst the biggest of all times. In short, GHAJINI has 'Blockbuster' written all over it

Last edited by shamrat on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aamir Khan's Ghajini
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:22 am 

Someone need to delete this post with Taran Adarsh's review. His reviews always has spoilers and no one should be posting his reviews here, atleast not without a MAJOR spoiler warning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm 

Hope what's been done to the "spoiler" bits work, Sanjay. (Spoiler caution inserted and spoiler bits given smaller font size.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:05 pm 

The story is common knowledge and in all honesty there aren't any major spoilers in the above review, so I don't know what all the fuss is about

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:01 pm 

shamrat wrote:
The story is common knowledge and in all honesty there aren't any major spoilers in the above review, so I don't know what all the fuss is about
First of all, a 'spoiler' is a 'spoiler' and I personally don't care how small in your opinion the 'spoiler' is. For me you have already screwed up the first time experience of watching a movie, that I have been looking forward to since it was launched. As for the spoiler here, I'd rather not discuss it in the open and screw up other people's movie experience. Let's just say, to me it is a MAJOR spoiler. Now please don't suggest what my standard for a 'spoiler' ought to be. For future reference, let's just say, I am the kind of person, who would under ideal conditions, not even like to know what the movie is about, let alone intricate details of the story. Taran Adarsh is a MORON, who takes pride in laying out all the details of a movie in his so called reviews, if it were up to him, he'd probably be happier just printing the script of the film.

*The 'Underlined words in Bold', are the words that had been censored from this post. I have reinserted them.

Last edited by Sanjay on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:49 pm 

Just out of interest, why was Sanjay's post 'moderated'?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 pm 

both shamrat & sanjay have made their points... sanjay's point has been taken... just a couple of phrases moderated to avoid this turning into a prolonged debate ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:32 am 

NewDeep wrote:
both shamrat & sanjay have made their points... sanjay's point has been taken... just a couple of phrases moderated to avoid this turning into a prolonged debate ;-)

Excuse me, but I think your moderating my post is nothing less than 'censorship'. I think you need to review your views on what exactly is 'moderation'. There was nothing rude or abusive in my post that would require any moderation whatsoever. But by your 'censoring' the post you may have led people to believe that there must have been something really abusive, for such a drastic step to be taken. Also 'prolonged' means prolonged and so far I don't see any prolonged "debate" as suggested by you. The exact words that have been removed from my post are, "Now please don't assume what my standard for a 'spoiler' ought to be". I am sure not one person on this forum would find those words objectionable, let alone 'censorship' worthy. Rather, your 'censorship' of my post, is far more objectionable. As for calling Taran Adarsh a MORON, that is something that I think most Zulmi's have done at some point or the other. In fact, if I am not mistaken, wasn't there a whole thread entitled, Taran Adarsh is a MORON, or something to that effect?

In the NINE odd years that I have been a 'Zulmi', this is the first time that a post of mine has been 'censored' and I surely do not take kindly to it. If 'CENSORSHIP' or moderation as ridiculous as this, is what to expect from Zulm.net from now on, then I'd rather not be on this forum anymore and I am sure there are others that feel the same way. By the way, 'moderators' on most forums resort to deletion of posts, or parts of posts, only in very extreme conditions and only as the very 'last' resort. Censorship and post deletion are not something taken lightly by most civil & democratic forums. This is the internet and not India, where censorship is accepted and tolerated. Although the fact is, that even Indian censors would have no objection to the words that you found so offensive. Also, it is considered standard courtesy for a 'poster' to be informed via 'PM' or 'Email' in the 'rare' eventuality of a post modification of any nature. Hopefully you will take this post, in the spirit that it is written in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:21 am 

sanjay wrote:
Hopefully you will take this post, in the spirit that it is written in.

of course :-)
Hopefully, you'll also appreciate that what irked you in terms of spoilers has been taken care of... and hopefully, you appreciate that what is "spoiler" for you may be "censorship" for shamrat -- and you would actually have been advocating moderators to "delete/censor/moderate" something that shamrat may actually see fit to post without any edit.

Further, that one remark "Now please don't assume what my standard for a 'spoiler' ought to be" and the "...moron" comment may have invited more point/counterpoint in this thread, taken focus away from the topic in this thread (Such debate is best done in separate threads within zulm devoted to that kind of debates, especially given that your concern has already been taken care of, why overload this thread with such perspectives? "Back to the topic" is one aspect moderators do look at...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:37 am 

NewDeep wrote:
of course :-)
Hopefully, you'll also appreciate that what irked you in terms of spoilers has been taken care of... and hopefully, you appreciate that what is "spoiler" for you may be "censorship" for shamrat -- and you would actually have been advocating moderators to "delete/censor/moderate" something that shamrat may actually see fit to post without any edit.

Your action taken to cover up the 'spoilers' was most certainly appreciated, even though it was too late for me and my first time of experience for viewing Ghajini had already been ruined. I am the last person to ever advocate censorship and I was in no way advocating that Shamrat or anyone else not be allowed to post whatever it is they want. What I did suggest is that a 'SPOILER' warning should precede such posts and that care should be taken to present the 'spoilers' in a manner so as to avoid people from accidently seeing or reading the spoiler.

Thanks for the understanding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:41 am 

Thanks Sanjay, hope you have forgiven me and are able to see my point of view as well...

You actually did advocate "deletion" or "spoiler warning" -- your comment was
sanjay wrote:
Someone need to delete this post with Taran Adarsh's review. His reviews always has spoilers and no one should be posting his reviews here, atleast not without a MAJOR spoiler warning

Moving forward, as always, your suggestions -- always welcome; your critique / bashing me up, yes, pls keep that coming too -- will help me moderate more effectively :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:00 am 

Sanjay wrote:

In the NINE odd years that I have been a 'Zulmi',

Has it been that long? Did Ali died and left an over zealous moderator?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:55 am 

couldn't quite get your "Ali" comment, jamesbond007 :shock: :?

but yes, sanjay's been a zulmi since very long -- his joining date shows as Dec 10, 2001, just around the time you became a zulmi...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:26 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
sanjay's been a zulmi since very long -- his joining date shows as Dec 10, 2001, just around the time you became a zulmi...

Dec, 2001 is when the old zulm.net was transferred to the new zulm.net. Old zulmies had to
re-register. Zulm.net had been around a few Yrs before that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:47 pm 

Both JB, Sanjay along with others are old time pioneer zulmis. Kitne aaey, kitney gaey but these guys stuck here and contributed to this forum, that was an extreme force to be feared by dvd makers, distributors and retailers! Any thing tht went on zulm changed courses