PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

I always love piracy articles :lol:

This article on the recent European film industry event

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?s=8 ... &n=1&burl=

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:27 am 

Interesting article! Don't know how successful the industry will be in combating piracy holding on to a defeatist attitude like "The industry admits it won’t be able to beat the pirates; they just want to be one of two steps behind them. " They need to take a more aggressive stance rather than lamenting this way " “33% goes to distribution costs - disc manufacture, packaging, shipping, advertising, marketing, etc; 27% is taken by the government; 19% goes on retailer costs [staff, mark-up, etc]; and 17% goes towards the film’s production costs. Leaving 4%. This is what the studio uses to invest in new productions.”

“The Hollywood cat isn’t really that fat,” " Ofcourse Hollywood and the likes are fat cats! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:35 pm 

JamesBond007 wrote:
Interesting article! Don't know how successful the industry will be in

Take my word. Piracy on Indian industry will NEVER stop. If yashraj is willing to give the VHS copyright for mere $300, then how can you expect piracy to stop? Now all the retailers can happily rent/sell VZ VHS (DVD quality!) with out any fear!

As far as the rest of them goes, they are happy as long as they can make cheap DVD in India for Rs 150 and and sell for $20 in US! So the company always wins. The (r)etailers who don’t support piracy and consumer always lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:22 pm 

dvdunlimited wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:
Interesting article! Don't know how successful the industry will be in

Take my word. Piracy on Indian industry will NEVER stop. If yashraj is willing to give the VHS copyright for mere $300, then how can you expect piracy to stop? Now all the retailers can happily rent/sell VZ VHS (DVD quality!) with out any fear!

As far as the rest of them goes, they are happy as long as they can make cheap DVD in India for Rs 150 and and sell for $20 in US! So the company always wins. The (r)etailers who don’t support piracy and consumer always lose.

I concur!! They are trying to make EXTRA BUCKS again from their shit crap!

**Well, I am happy to see JB honored in the forum" YEAR OF THE BOND"after all demons are gone!

I hope ali agrees! :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:04 am 

Quote:
Take my word. Piracy on Indian industry will NEVER stop.

Agreed! However if they step up the campaign a notch it will surely make them uncomfortable! :lol:

:lol: "YEAR OF THE BOND"? :? " DEMONS" ? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:51 am 

Well here is a start in the right direction

Maharashtra government comes down strongly on pirates
In a bid to stop video piracy, Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra RR Patil on February 21 announced the government’s decision to enact tougher laws that will be on the lines of those formed by the Tamil Nadu government. He has directed the police to discover where the duplicate CDs are manufactured, the machines used and the persons involved in marketing them. Over the last few months 56 raids have been conducted in Mumbai city alone and goods worth Rs. 1.98 crore seized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:35 pm 

The Dutch tax office's investigation service (FIOD-ECD) confiscates 140.000 Bollywood films.

(Translated) Press Bulletin
(Dutch) Press Bulletin

SE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:58 am 

Piracy Raid in Sydney..

http://www.avchannel.com.au/NewsMain.php?NewsID=271

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

vjmajic2002 wrote:

:lol: There's your suppliers gone :lol: :P

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:55 am 

i know...dammit :(

lol

even though the shop that got raided is quite a fair bit away..the local shops near me are like dead scared now lol

i guess whatever there doing to try to stop piracy is working..

im gonna have to get my sources from somewhere else now.. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

SnakeEye wrote:
The Dutch tax office's investigation service (FIOD-ECD) confiscates 140.000 Bollywood films.

(Translated) Press Bulletin
(Dutch) Press Bulletin

SE.

A week laster BBC online has managed to translate the story too :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 350689.stm

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:04 pm 

Quote:
All FPFAC Business Services are charged at cost only basis (for members only).
(Annual Membership to the FPFAC is INR 1000 )

Our Services cover:

• Test Marketing Services
• Marketing & Distribution
• Anti Piracy Services
• Business Monitoring Services

The objective of this service is to ensure better governance & prevent malpractices during initial period of release in major circuits. Anti-piracy is intended to curb selling / showing /telecasting illegal or pirated CDs / DVDs / Music albums of the film within a defined territory wherein such measures have been undertaken.

Methodology

Mandating Anti-Piracy cell of the FPFAC to carry on the work on behalf of the rights holder of the film for major 6 circuits of Indian Territory like Bombay/Gujarat, Delhi/UP, CP/CI/Rajasthan, Bihar/Nepal, West Bengal / East India, South / Nizam.
The mandate is in the form of Authorization letters & legal undertaking.
With these authorizations, our Anti-piracy cell lodges advance NC’s /FIRs with respective police stations within defined territories.
Also, specific website and + 1-600 number is created to get in the complaints from various places directly to control room of the cell, which is well connected with the network of police stations.
An immediate raid is carried out once the cell receives information on piracy or unauthorized viewing of the film or selling or distribution of illegal VCDs/DVDs & the case is filed under Indian copyright laws against the accused. This acts as a deterrent to prevent people from seeing the pirated film.
Advantages:

Enforcing anti-piracy measures during initial 6 week’s release of film will ensure better collections & good turnout at theatres.
Few initial raids will have cascading effect among viewers not to view or buy movie CDs from illegal sources.
Our experience has shown that collection amounts have gone up by at-least 45-60% for a good rated movie due to an Anti Piracy campaign.
For more information on any of the above services, get in touch with
Mr. Vinod Kumar, Secretary General, FPFAC on Mob: + 91 98202 10934 or
email : mailto:vinod@indianmotionpictures.com

Quote:
Our experience has shown that collection amounts have gone up by at-least 45-60% for a good rated movie due to an Anti Piracy campaign

Delusional or wishfully hoping it to be true? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:40 am 

China Jails 2 Americans on DVD Piracy Charges
By VOA News
19 April 2005

A Chinese court in Shanghai has sentenced two U.S. citizens to up to two-and-a-half years in prison for selling pirated movies over the Internet.

The two men were sentenced along with two Chinese accomplices for selling more than 180,000 illegally-copied DVDs to buyers around the world using the U.S.-based website E-bay and a website based in Russia.

One American, Randolph Guthrie, was given a 30-month sentence and ordered to pay a $60,000 fine. The other American, Cody Thrush, was charged as an accessory, given a one-year sentence and ordered to pay a $1,200 fine. The court ordered both men to be deported after serving out their sentences.

The United States and other nations have urged China to do more to enforce intellectual property rights. Counterfeit music and video discs are widely available in China.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:56 am 

http://www.bollywoodbest.com - Bravo Boy! One with 1800 toll free number! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:43 pm 

Video piracy: Industry hints at 'inside job'
chrish wrote:
http://www.bollywoodbest.com - Bravo Boy! One with 1800 toll free number! :shock:

May be it's a Legal Piracy. :lol:

http://www.ndtv.com/ent/newstory.asp?se ... ob&Id=3558

Video piracy: Industry hints at 'inside job'

There is all-round agreement that piracy is the biggest problem affecting the film industry today and its no secret that the biggest centre for pirated Hindi films is in Pakistan.

But now, members of the industry on both sides of the border are openly saying that more often than not, Bollwyood's distributors are playing a role in the piracy of their own films.

"A lot of distributors are into this racket of pirating their own films," said Sevy Ali, Pakistani producer.

"Many overseas distributors and home video right owners are into piracy," said Sanjay Seksaria, distribution consultant.

Less rigid borders

Many say that as the borders become less rigid, not just distributors but even film producers visiting Pakistan with their films are being tempted by the piracy mafia.

"I was given an offer by a pirate in Pakistan to give my film to them on DVD, said Pooja Bhatt, filmmaker.

From Pakistan, the VCDs then go all over the world. Over 1,40,000 CDs and DVDs containing Indian music and movies were seized in a recent raid in the Netherlands where this year's India International film Awards (IIFA) are taking place.

"I was given an offer from a few pirates asking me to help in the piracy trade," said Liyaqat Gola, distributor.

The modus operandi is simple. While the vehicle transporting the print is moving from one place to the other, the film is transferred or directly pirated by the distributor in the form of VCDs and DVDs.

Even the police are in the know. But as long as these producers do not own up and the distributors stop pirating films themselves, Bollywood can keep on complaining about piracy as long as they want to and then pass the blame on to someone else