It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:20 am 

I bought Koi...Mil Gaya off of eBay. I've heard horror stories about buying from eBay, but this one seemed legit. I emailed the individual first and he said that he gets all of his DVDs from dealers in NY, NJ and somewhere else. He said if I didn't like it, I'd get a refund--minus shipping...

It arrived today. It has a little hologram on the cover on the bottom right like I've seen on IndiaWeekly's cover shot of the DVD. However, the cover looks like it was printed on a rather cheap inkjet printer. Although it's sealed, it looks fake. The back cover looks so bad that it's hard to even read the words and the images have ghosting (dual images).

I'm hesitant to open it though and have the guy say that it's not returnable if it's open.

This is the first Indian DVD I've ever bought, so I'm not sure of the quality. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:59 am 

Sound like a pirate copy. I've seen YRF replicates with a cheaply copied hologram, so look carefully. It is a lot less detailed than the original hologram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:38 am 

110% Pirate .. return it while u still can :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:04 am 

at ebay you will find 99.99% pirated ones, but well If you want cheap that's the place, you may not see much difference it it's copied from original ones :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:23 am 

Thanks for the reply, guys. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure.

DragunR2: The hologram looks detailed enough, but that's the only professional thing about the cover. It truly looks horrid.

chrish: Yeah, I debated keeping it. I have a bootleg DVD of a French film that is not available on DVD with English subs. However, I bought it knowing it was a bootleg. However, I object to bootlegs of films that are available on legitimate DVDs.

urbanlegend: I'm probably going to return it. Really makes me mad that I'm going to lose at least $4.50 just to ship it back. It's more a matter of principle as opposed to money. And eBay won't do anything on my behalf. And if I post negative feedback for him, he'll undoubtedly post negative feedback for me...

Question about your signature, DragunR2. Um...why? :) After all, Koi...Mil Gaya is a Yash Raj DVD.

Also, is there anywhere that definitely sells a legit version of it? Is IndiaWeekly my best bet?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:48 am 

work4dvd wrote:
Question about your signature, DragunR2. Um...why? :) After all, Koi...Mil Gaya is a Yash Raj DVD.

Because Most Yash Raj DVDs are crap. Good YRF DVDs include K3G, Meenaxi, Darr, maybe Zubeidaa and Hum Tum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:49 am 

go to just yashrajfilms.com if you need original of that, that's the only best way to be sure you getting original :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:10 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Because Most Yash Raj DVDs are crap. Good YRF DVDs include K3G, Meenaxi, Darr, maybe Zubeidaa and Hum Tum.

Including Koi...Mil Gaya? Is the quality that bad? Maybe I should keep the bootleg, despite the horrid cover?

chrish wrote:
go to just yashrajfilms.com if you need original of that, that's the only best way to be sure you getting original :roll:

That sucks. Piracy really does run rampant in India DVDs. Wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:20 am 

ive got this..its a replica of the original..its pretty much same thing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:50 am 

vjmajic2002 wrote:
ive got this..its a replica of the original..its pretty much same thing..

With the same horrible cover? How is the DVD though?

sweetfriend wrote:
work4dvd wrote:
DragunR2 wrote:

Including Koi...Mil Gaya? Is the quality that bad? Maybe I should keep the bootleg, despite the horrid cover?

chrish wrote:

That sucks. Piracy really does run rampant in India DVDs. Wow.

Just depends why u are buying the dvd.
just for viewing then I will rent or buy pirate cheap.
If on the other hand you are buying for your own private collection then Pirate is not worth keeping.

I've already seen it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm buying for my own private collection, so that's why I'm not thrilled about owning a knockoff. Thanks for the advice.

I emailed the guy tonight. I hope that he's honest... I'll also base my decision on what he says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:04 pm 

dvd cover is the same just a bit blurry...and the back of the dvd cover is even blurrier...the disc seems the same to me...moving menus,anamorphic picture,5.1 surround..

i think its dual layered aswell..ill try n post the blurry cover soon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:30 pm 

vjmajic2002 wrote:
dvd cover is the same just a bit blurry...and the back of the dvd cover is even blurrier...the disc seems the same to me...moving menus,anamorphic picture,5.1 surround..

i think its dual layered aswell..ill try n post the blurry cover soon..

It's probably the same as mine then. The back is much worse than the front.

I received a reply and he said that he'd refund the total cost, including shipping. So I'll probably return it and buy the DVD from the source. It will be $10 more, but I'll be assured that I'm getting a legitimate copy.

Although I'm returning unopened, please feel free to post your scans. I'll post mine too later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:52 pm 

Here are the scans. Note the blurry red and white Yash Raj lettering at the top on the front and the general inkjet quality, especially in the blue area. The back speaks for itself. Actually the DVD looks a little better than the scan (the words are a slight bit clearer), but not by much. However, the heads at the top look horrid, with ghosting, dirt, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:08 pm 

Definete Pirate :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:36 pm 

The guy has already refunded my PayPal account including shipping! :) I am very happy that he was willing to take the return.

I am shipping the DVD out today in the same envelope it was mailed in originally. The envelope is in perfect shape. Ironically, the post office did not cancel the postage so it shouldn't need additional postage. :) I'm getting delivery confirmation though just to be sure. I want to believe he's completely honest, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I suppose I'll simply order from http://www.yashrajfilms.com/ and I won't be buying any more Indian DVDs on eBay. (For the record, I've bought a handful of other DVDs on eBay and they've all been legit.)

Thanks to everyone who replied.