It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:01 am 

Do you find that the Indian video stores that are far away from Indian movie theaters rent and sell more pirates than stores that are closer to theaters? I ask this because maybe a lot of people rent and buy pirates because the theater is too far and they want to see the movie ASAP. Not that it excuses renting a pirate, but perhaps this is a factor.

Here in Dallas, the only Indian theater in the area for the past 5 or 6 years was in Irving, a city about an hour away. The stores I go to in Dallas rent and sell pirates, and people do pay for them. It is only December 2002 that another Indian theater opened up near those stores. I don't really recall seeing any pirated DVDs/VHS tapes of recent films at the stores near the theater in Irving, but maybe I didn't look close enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:09 pm 

Pirates of new movies are released with the full knowledge ( and sometimes with the blessings) of the rightholders and everybody else in the trade. I think if "A" pireates "B's" item, "B" gets even by pirating "A's" item instead of taking legal action. DVDs come out within the first week of the theatrical release. Be it a pirate or genuine.

Also, I think, rightholders are cutting down on theatrical showings and want to do their business in DVDs (not even VHS) only. They often incur loss in theatrical showings but not in DVD. DVD is where the money is.

Rana

Edited By rana on 1043783286

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:36 pm 

At one theater here, after a week or two, the price of a movie ticket is around $3 if the movie isn't hugely popular, so I wonder if people living near a theater wouldn't just see the movie on the big screen at that time rather than renting a pirate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:18 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
At one theater here, after a week or two, the price of a movie ticket is around $3 if the movie isn't hugely popular, so I wonder if people living near a theater wouldn't just see the movie on the big screen at that time rather than renting a pirate.

Down here is Houston, we have 2 theaters showing indian movies. During the summer they were playing alot of movies for $1.00. I don't think that hindered the piracy business here!!!

out!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:31 am 

This might be a bit off topic from the proposed discussion, but what I've also realized is that, people would also rather rent a film on DVD (pirated or original), which really doesn't matter to the average Indian film watcher, because most of them could care less about what there investing on, just hope to get what they really want(entertainment). But having said that, they would rather watch a movie at home than at an Indian Theater. I don't know about how the infrastructure is organized in Indian theaters in the US. But here in Toronto, Canada. Our Indian theaters are really poor. Our seats are extremely uncomfortable, echoing sound quality, and if your seating behind someone that is really tall, you have to sort of lean your body to the side to get the full picture, which is obviously not a good thing to our body. Plus, considering that most bollywood films are targeted towards a "family" target-market. People also like to bring little kids with them to the cinema hall, and while during the movie, babies do start to go nuts crying, and it simply distracts or turns off those that are really into the movie. I don't know how the service might be in Indian Cinema halls in the US, but here its terrible, it seems that we have under-trained Yugoslavian people who even have a hard time speaking english and understanding it. Hence, everything I've said should hint the idea that watching a Bollywood movie at an Indian theater is not all that great of an experience, plus--the opportunity cost allows one to spend less with a better experience of enjoyment. Not only are we looking at fighting piracy, but we should also look into the progression of the infrastructure and service of our Indian Movie theaters.

Edited By DVD Collector on 1044848058

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:15 am 

I've only seen three Indian films at the theater, so I can't really comment much on the experience, but here is my experience.

Run - Saw at a regular American multiplex that used to play one or two Indian films also. It was just me and three other people in the theater, so no problems :)

Saathiya - Indian theater. Not a packed theater, but there were quite a few people. Decent projection and good sound. When SRK appeared, the girls in front of me whistled. Annoying, took me out of the movie for a little bit. The seating isn't stadium seating, but the standard kind.

Kaante - Newly built Indian theater. Five minutes of commercials for local businesses played before the film, then the same commercials were played again after the intermission! A row of guys in the front often whistled and made noise throughout the film. Many people brought their little kids and babies, though they were not distracting. They shouldn't be at an R-rated film, though. This is not a strictly Indian phenomenon, since I see little kids at R-rated films all the time. Sound was excellent, but the projection was a little soft. The seating was once again the non-stadium type.

DVD Collector, the condition of the theater and experience of watching the film may be a factor in whether people rent pirates, or it could be that the people renting pirates are cheap or don't want to drive. I live about 40 minutes away from the theater that has been here for 5 years, which is why I never went there. I only started going there because I drove there a lot while we were doing the film fest there. The people going to the Indian stores near me would probably rather rent a pirate DVD and watch it at home than drive 40 minutes to see the film in the theater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:27 am 

DragunR2 wrote:
Saathiya - ... When SRK appeared, the girls in front of me whistled. Annoying, ...

I remember watching Saathiya twice back in December at a local theater (second time I went, because my ticket than was paid for :D ) it was bad enought that girls started to yell out loud "o! my god! Shahrukh!" the first time i went to see it, but it even happened when I saw it the second time. :bangbang: