It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:43 pm 

...when I can get rips of the DVDs (real and fake) on SVCDs and VCDs...

tell me - am i losing out on any significant quality/features/etc...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:07 am 

Basically when you rip from dvds and put them on SVCD or VCD, you are compromising picture and sound quality. You are left with stereo sound instead Dolby sound and depending on how much the video is compressed, the picture looks more awful than dvd. You can read more about here http://www.vcdhelp.com

p.s. it may not be bad idea to rip your own vcd/svcd's since the originals (esp. Eros..videosound crap) are getting worse in terms of picture and sound quality. :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:26 am 

Dograk... yeah it would be great if you can get Pirated copies of all stuff released under an EROS/Videosound/Yashraj-Superdigital banner... Those guys are Wankas No. 1(Pg-13 expletives here :D) So you wont lose much if you pirate their DVDs..(and if you get a chance please do them)..

But when it comes to notable exceptions like the ones manufactured by DEI, Cinebella, Metrodome, EVP, Ayngaran and most dvds released by Hollywood studios.. you are actually losing quality when you compress a DVD information (in MPEG-2) to a VCD( which is basically an MPEG- 1 encoding procedure). Also as Kaindianz has mentioned you will lose the DD-5.1 stuff when u compress it to a simple DD 2 channel format.

So there are yor choices and do let us know what you have ripped :)
Happy ripping of EROS, Videosound and Yashraj stuff !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:13 pm 

Hi all...

thanks for your replies. basically, i have no care for dd 5.1 or not - my ears can't notice any differences! :D

Anyways, yes i have noticed a DEFINATE decrease in quality of movies - as an example, a recent release by Eros (AANKHEN) was horrible (the blue filter was set so high it was laughable!)- however, what i was surprised was the fact that Eros released this DVD EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T EVEN OWN THE RIGHTS OF IT!!

it's kind of odd that they publicize how illegal actions they are committing!

--

SKNATH, actually i can get every newly released moives...they get converted to SVCD very quickly...(at max 1/2 a day later they are available!).- also, i want to mention SVCD is MPEG2, so i don't think there is any loss in picture quality..

occasionally however, i do notice that some rips are much much better than the original releases - the KKHH rip was marvelous with SUPERB quality (no image freeze, pixelation, etc..) compared to the recent TLOBS rip which had the audio locked in at the highest pitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:42 pm 

Hi Dograk... SVCD may be encoded in an MPEG - 2 format but there are differences between that and a DVD MPEG-2 encoding

A DVD is produced by encoding a FILM into an MPEG-2 format (at least the video)... Hence you get a loss of quality (the so called pixellation, blocky effects... as a result of the DCT transform).. Now if you were to rip this already degraded format and squeeze them in 2 CDs then you are further degrading the quality...Whatever transform you may use or however you may code them.
However if you were to obtain DivX files of films that have been transferred from the orginial negatives, then they will be vastly superior to MPEG-2 coded files..as divx uses an MPEG-4 coding strategy

Well the other issue is.. I dont like to pirate non EROS-VIDEOSOUND-YASHRAJ stuff as I like to support companies that genuinely put in an effort to procure film rights and give us a decent dvd (eg. DEI, EVP, Ayngaran, Metrodome and hollywood studios etc. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:22 pm 

actually they are minimum always 3 cds..sometimes 4 cds as in hths..

anyways, i think that i could greatly improve on the image quality(esp when compared to dvd) by editing..

i have a request tho..

could someone plz give me a screenshot of a real dvd they have (which they consider the best, but also the minor details which are wrong in it) - then i'll give a screenshot of its svcd, and then i'll work on the movie and see if i can make better quality than the dvd itself!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:23 pm 

for eg. kkhh would be ideal :)

also tell me where the screenshot is from (rough time frame)

thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:14 pm 

that's taken from 22:30 of the the VCD - could someone now tell me what things are wrong/not good in it ... plz take into account that this pic was taken while watching on my comp with power dvd, so there is to be expected a loss in quality when watcing on ur comp..

so anyone plz tell me the probs with it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

You had to grab a screen shot from a DVD that I cant find at the moment! :oh:

Anyway – basically what’s wrong with it is the low resolution and bit rate used to make the SVCD. You lose finer detail from the video as you lower the resolution and bit rate. Obviously when you are downgrading a movie form a 8gig (DVD-9) capacity to a 1-2GB capacity (2/3 CDRs) they is going to some loss in quality from the original. More loss of quality is noticeable from Hollywood DVDs as most are from hi quality sources. Down sampling Indian DVD to SVCD quality might seem the same as the source are poor to start off with. All this is relative and how you watch movies. Only when you compare them you notice the difference. I’ve seen movies on region 1 DVD that look totally awesome by comparison to any Indian DVD like Shrek and Phantom Menace yet give these the same DVDs to techno-geeks and they’ve ripped them to shreds saying one thing isn’t right or the other in terms of quality. It’s all relative to how you to watch movies and if quality is good enough for you.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:48 am 

See the difference... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:56 pm 

No he CAN'T ,SPECTACLES naheen mil raheen!???ha ha ha!Cheers! :baaa: ;) :vsneaky:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:55 am 

com'on arsh;

everyone eventually sees it; there is no point of rubbing it before time. people should experience everything in life. and then someday they will see what others sees, and will actually appreciate what everyone else does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:15 pm 

Can anyone tell me if there is any Indian DVD movie released to date, that has DTS Surround sound.Even the video quality
sucks on most DVD's. Some people might argue that there may not be a sonic superiority of DTS over DD 5.1, for them I have to say, get a audiphile grade home theatre system and hear the difference. I quite agree with SKNATH that we should support all those distributors, that are trying to give consumers a quality recorded DVD rather than those that have adopted a couldn't care less attitude.
can anyone recomend a couple of good DVD's with superior audio/video recording. :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:27 pm 

Indian movies have had DTS since 1996. I saw Devdas last week in DTS. Though it was loud, very nice sound.

-Bh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:33 pm 

dograk wrote:
thanks for your replies. basically, i have no care for dd 5.1 or not - my ears can't notice any differences! :D

You have got to be kidding. Right?