It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:29 am 

I am told that pirates do not go to lengths when pirating DVDS. I have been told to look for the following

1) Art Work Quality
Anyone with a scanner and a printer can get the best results
2) Credits on the artwork
This can be copied from the original

3) Packaging
Pirates may not invest in $30,000 shrink wrap machines which folds the shrinkwrap on the sleeves. Most apprently use some kindof a heat hrikwrap machine.

4) Security deco/lable: Security device enclosed. They maynot want to spend time or money placing security stickers or hholograms in the packaging

5) Quality of the plastic case

I am told most priates do limited runs on copying an original. a few thousands at the most. as they too have to move on to the next new release. I was educated by a shop owner who wanted to show off his knowledge on this matter. But he did raise some good points. He syas people like yash raj are not strapped for cash.. Hence they are not in a hurry to release more films on to dvd. so they price themhigh and make sure all their vendors sell their stock before relesing the next film. Eros on the other hand has no strategy. jsutrelease, sell, collect money on volume. Doing business by Volume may make sense to only a certain point. Yu don't become No. 1 by volume. India is the largest producer of films. i think this works against itself. Too many movies being released too quickly. The shelf life of an Indian movie is short. So release it in theatres, release it on dvd and move on to the next project.

Original manufacturers say the customer doesn't care. cuystomes have given up on the manufacturers. As long as we compormise and not demand for a better product, a better life, we will not be offered a better product. Compromise, accepting less than the best is a way of life for most indians. I don't blame us. We choose our battles when our whole life is big struggle. i think we are short sighted. We look for a quick buck and a quick exit strategy. We can;t see the future. So we choose only to think of the present. With this attitude, we will never make a mark on the world.

To end this I'd like to quote.."Still we are like this only". ....and will be a 100 years from now.

phew..i think sknath is right.. I do a need a new girlfriend. :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:51 am 

Hmmm Sachin and a new GF :) good show !

Now ways to identify a Pirate :-

Any DVD bearing the name of BABA is classified (by me) a PIRATE so avoid those DVDs

Any DVD bearing the name DEI-EROS is classified a pirate (by FADDY, folks @ EROS and many others ), but I would encourage to buy them

As for Yashraj, scoop up all the DVDs that have been authored by PRASAD DIGITAL...( at the back of the DVD); If you see a YRF DVD authored by Superdigital then my suggestion go for a PIRATED version and rent it and see it as much as you can and wait till such time YRF re-releases them.

Discourage any products authored by the lousy MUPPETS (nah arseholes @ Superdigital)

For any DEI ..DVDs your best bet is to refer to the DEI website or here @ zulm and post your queries before making that purchase. Hence your best bet would be purchasing the DVD online from an online retailer, (read IW / ICDS) as you will be saved the trouble of identifying whether its a pirate or genuine DVD !

Videosound DVDs...go and rent the Pirated DVDs as they all are generally better than the original Videosound ones anyways. However this may change if VS also change their authoring company !

Hmmm now its time for you to get Married i guess
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:33 pm 

Sachin wrote:
Original manufacturers say the customer doesn't care. cuystomes have given up on the manufacturers. As long as we compormise and not demand for a better product, a better life, we will not be offered a better product. Compromise, accepting less than the best is a way of life for most indians. I don't blame us. We choose our battles when our whole life is big struggle. i think we are short sighted. We look for a quick buck and a quick exit strategy. We can;t see the future. So we choose only to think of the present. With this attitude, we will never make a mark on the world.

To end this I'd like to quote.."Still we are like this only". ....and will be a 100 years from now.

So very true.
The single biggest reason why we Indians will never ever excel at anything is the at 'Chalta Hai' attitude. We are a mediocre nation and will always remain so, atleast until the time we decide that 'sab kuch aise nahi chalta hai' and we decide to demand better from ourselves and from others.