It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: For Desiguy / Ali
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:36 pm 

Folks, now that you both are here why not settle this once and for all :-

1.) Is BABA a Pirate company ?If yes why is it not listed there and if not why do you justify it ?

2.) You say GVI is a pirate company
http://indianwatchdog.netfirms.com/dist ... rates.html

Ali says its a genuine company...

Whats the clear picture for us then ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

I seem to keep going over the same ground over and over again, mostly just for you sknath – maybe desiguy would want to clarify his reasoning for including GVI as a pirate – yet to hear a valid explanation on why its included on the pirate list.

Both Baba and GVI are big distributors of Indian films all over. GVI mainly operates in UK has very close links (if there not the same as) with Video Sound in America.

Baba also distribute film at cinemas – I recently saw an advert on B4U for a new film (I think it was Tumko Naa Bhool Payenge, but could have been some other) which reads read ‘Baba presents’ – I’m sure it’s the same Baba guys who the DVDs in NY.

If its a question of whether these companies are legitimate businesses then there’s no doubt they both exist and are in Indian film distribution.

To put it bluntly – out of the 12 ‘Pirate Companies’ listed on Indianwatchdog.com NONE are pirate companies!
1) Olympic Intl. Dubai
2) C.A. Corporation
3) Main Video
4) PMI, Australia
5) Elite Productions
6) SK Video (NYC)
7) Video Scope, NY
8) SUPREME International, UK
9) Gurpreet Video, UK
10) A. A. Video
11) Ivrug Sounds, CA
12) Universal Video, (India)
..to be a pirate ‘company’ the company has to actually exist – most of these do not exist at all. This maybe come as shock to some – the piracy works, is by dishonest business. If a DVD appears with GVI on it... the actual GVI company in the UK didn’t necessarily put that DVD out. I remember only too well when Aks was released on pirate – it had DEI and Soven labels on – does that make DEI and Soven pirates? Its the same way this list has been made up – so called DVD pirates have appeared with known company labels and those are branded pirates. You’ll find most don’t even exist – just follow the address/telephone numbers provided on the back.

Also consider the recent Asoka release in the USA – who’s to say by definite answer it’s a pirate or not? Desiguy doesn’t think so, its official release on their site. Does that make it a proper release from First Look Pictures? Or should First Look Picture know the answer to that one :rolleyes:

Regards DVD rights; not many people know for certain who has and doesn’t have DVD rights of Indian films. GVI have officially released few backlog of Video Sound DVDs in the UK, officially certified by the BBFC. Are these pirates too? Specific to Baba it has been suggested many times (usually from third source references) that Baba don’t have the proper DVD rights to the films they release hence they use VHS sources for their DVDs too – again no one know for this certain (if they have DVD rights or not). You’ll find info usually comes from third party sources – take them on face value.

skanth – bookmark this for future reference, so you wont need to ask the same question over and over again. Also I’ll tell you this much, in reality not many actually care if there pirate or not – consumers, people who sell them and people who make and distribute them. First, most people just want to see the film, and secondly there’s a small few who want quality DVDs which include me. Sadly the second lot are in the very minority so bad quality DVDs rule – pirate or not.

But I still would like to hear the justification on where these companies exist and why there are pirate from desiguy.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:45 pm 

Ali ...I think all i wanted was Desiguy's take on GVI as a pirate company ... and I am eagerly awaiting his comments to your reply vis-a-vis it being a (non)-Pirate company...

Now BABA is a distributor of films :rolleyes: thats a first for me... Never knew they did such things..all they ever did was take DVD prints, rip them and sell them as their own DVDs ( ARADHANA, DON, KATI-PATANG)... I am surprised howcome desiguy doesnt take note of this fact. I had sent him an e-mail abt this a long time back but I found his reply unsatisfactory (unfortunately). Hope he can clarify the issue here once and for all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:11 pm 

Come on Desiguy, we are still awaiting your reply...where are you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:06 pm 

Sorry for the delay. We have 12 companies listed and yes most of these companies do not exist, but we listed them so that consumers can know to avoid these compaines so if a consumer comes across a DVD made by "Olympic Intl. Dubai" The consumer would already know that this company is known for making pirated DVDs thus they wouldn't buy it. As far as GVI goes we have had them on our list from day one. Our list of pirate compains was given to us from EROS at a time when my friend was working with them (when Eros was making good DVDs). He quit EROS like 2 years ago when they began producing there own DVDs. Actually we need to edit our pirates list and add some more compaines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:15 am 

Okay desiguy, then in that case do you plan to add BABA as a pirate ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 4:02 am 

No plans as of yet to add BABA to our pirates lists, but we do tell consumers to avoid Baba DVDs do the quality. We typically tell the consumers to look for the same DVD by Video Sound or DEI and buy that version if available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:42 pm 

desiguy just out of interest what do you do? r u a company or just do this indianwatchdog out of interest? if so y? :where: