It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 1:20 am 
Site Admin

It hit the music and games industry hard when CDR media and recorder were cheap enough to be brought by home users. DVD is about to get hit by the same problem. DVD-R 4.7GB have been available for a while but the new 9.4GB DVD-R media is about to be released that will hold a full dual layered movie without compromising in quality or content. And some stores are selling this cheap $4.95!

http://store.yahoo.com/cd-recordable-do ... ndoub.html

..and PC DVD recorder drives are not that expensive now. Wonder how long DVD has got left?

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 1:30 am 

Ali you are right availability of DVD recorders for home's and pc's will definately make this problem worse and there may not be immediate solutions for this problem. The one thing we can do is not to patronize any sites selling pirated or substandard software and keep the pressure on. In states one can buy a DVD recorder at Best Buy or circuit city for $1000-to 1200 and a DVD burner for your computer for less than $500.

lakeshore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 1:58 am 

Ali,
That is indeed good news.Gives me scope to copy a whole YASHRAJ or EROS-B4U DVD before I choose to actually buy it . I support PIRACY of EROS dvds...for the simple reason, they are a bunch of arseholes and they deserve no symapthy from us, the consumers. I am also awaiting the releasing of an affordable DVD-RW writer such that I can Pîrate these DVds.

I wont ever support Piracy of EVP, DEI or Ayngaran DVDs... These are the professional companies and they provide us value for our money which we invest in buying their DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:56 am 

I would think that with DVD-R's droping in price that Hollywood is working on some new encoding for DVDs where if one tries to DVD-R the DVD it only allows you to burn the trailors of the movie and or it will crash your computer. I have noticed this with a lot American music CDs when you try to copy the CD it simply crashes your computer and locks it, and with a lot American software CDs when you try to copy the CD you end up with a DEMO of the game and or software. I wonder how the pirates get around this?? I can understand for Indian DVDs as most Indian DVD companies don't encode their DVDs with Anti-copying code that Hollywood uses do to the increase in costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:35 am 

Desiguy !.... Hackers everywhere :) There will be hackers who will break the code anywhere , anytime and post it on the net. The so called DeCss and the HullabHoo abt it. Now DeCss is there all over the net. So Much for encryption ! :) As to how this encryption will be decoded later on....I will surely wait for that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:35 am 

Encoding is also regular in Hollywood original film elements thats how they track where the pirated version of the movie came from but at times there are able to do little. Like I stated earlier you can be USA and download a movie from a user in Japan over the net. I don't know if latest Bollywood film originals are also encoded.This sure is a uphill battle but no harm in trying to isolate companies or stores which distribute bootleg versions or CD's.

lakeshore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:21 am 

EVP uses copy protection, as I tried to copy a song from "Abhimaan" to a VHS tape and the copy had the pulsing picture and colored lines on it characteristic of copy protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 2:56 pm 

http://www.dvd-r.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 4:37 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
EVP uses copy protection, as I tried to copy a song from "Abhimaan" to a VHS tape and the copy had the pulsing picture and colored lines on it characteristic of copy protection.

Use a stabilizer to fix this problem....I have recorded many DVD songs to VHS for my grandparents with perfect video and audio everytime :D

Edited By urbanlegend on Dec. 27 2001 at 11:43