It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:53 pm 

I live in Singapore near Johor Bahru, which is in Malaysia. This country produces half the world's pirated dvds. And in case you didn't know, the native people here (malay) watch more Hindi movies than any other race I know.

Ditto copy of one dvd (single movie) sells at 9 ringgit = S$ 4 dollars!!!! :D

I was looking around for good prices online. I knew Eros's US online store is very expensive, however I didn't know they were this expensive!

If you click on Singapore Dollars, you get these prices. I can't link as they don't seem allow any hotlinking

One dvd sells in Singapore Dollars S$73 + S$5(Shipping)=S$78!!!
equivalent to US $48 Doallars :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you click on US Dollars, you get these price for the same dvds.

1 dvd at US$17.99=S$29

But I am not allowed to buy them at these prices as this mail to only US addresses. What stupid discrimination!! And It doesn't make any business sense! Even the most expensive dvd on Indiaweekly is at most Sing$40. I wonder if the other countries listed on Eros's store are the same. Now even if I didn't want to buy pirated dvds, this kind of rip-off prices will definitely be a motivating factor. I know it might not be relevant to you guys living in US/Canada or UK but this is too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:14 pm 

I don't know about Eros UK - but I ordered some DVDs from YRF UK. All prices were listed and charged in US dollars so doing a conversion to UK pounds meant that the DVDs were considerably cheaper than the stores. I used the current exchange rate of $1.75 to equal £1.

All seemed okay - once I recived the DVDs the statment was also in US dollars but there was a footnote that stated that the exchange rate used was $1 to equal £1!!! :shock: :evil:

Since then I have only ordered direct from the US as this really was a major rip off ... ! I probably could have picked up replica DVDs from lots of grocery stores for £1-3 per disc instead of spending £18-20 per DVD!