It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:35 pm 

Hey all you Toronto guys. I am visiting Toronto this weekend and wonder which is a good place to shop for Indian movies there?

Are most places on Gerard St. good enough or is there any place specific one needs to go to?

let me know.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aarkayne on Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:04 pm 

Choice of shop depends on what you want.

For official DVDs, I find ASIAN Video as cheapest (at least in my case) among other official DVD retailers. They are West of Pearson International Airport, on Midway street/ ave/---.

If you are not going that way, as it's far away and this is the only Indian store/ warehouse around, you can pick up your DVDs at any of the other shops like, Video Palace (Ruby Queen Plaza at Derry and Airport Rd), Appolo Video (Airport Road), New Param Video at Islington. Their prices are competitive and if you are not buying too many DVDs, then the price difference may not warrant driving around searching for cheapest buys (you will spend on Gas instead). Originals will cost you anywhere between $ 13 and $ 22, except for YRF stuff that may be more.

If you are looking for # 2 stuff, then PAANORAMA at Donlands, 'Khaaike Paan Phir Video' (don't remember exact address, but it's near Hwy 404 and Toll Hwy 407. In 2in1 DVDs, VISION DVDs are on a better media (more Goldish than even some originals) and are generally better than other multi-in-1 brands. 2in1s should cost you anywhere bet $ 6 to $ 9. If buying in bulk, some shops like Majeed (next to Video Palace) sell 20 DVDs for $ 100. But, beware, when you buy replicas or # 2 stuff, the content may or may not be a replica of the version labelled on the cover. Also, mostly, they get anamorphic replicas wrong. Of course media is mostly Time Bomb.

If you are looking for DEI-EROS titles, I saw a lots of them at ASIAN Video recently, that never used to carry them in the past as they are loyal/ partners to EROS. Shop that always carried most of the DEI-EROS titles is Appolo Video at Airport Rd.

Most of stores that carry Replicas or # 2 stuff, also carry Original DVDs, but how do you know that you are getting Original when you are paying price of Original??

Another noteworthy name is Saahib Video. urbanlegend can give you that address.

Rana

BTW, Don't shop at Gerrard St. What sells for $ 6 at Paanorama, or 20 DVDs for $ 100 at Majeed etc, sells for $ 12 to $ 15 at Gerrard St. (my experience). Originals are more, but you never know if you are getting an original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:23 pm 

Thanks much Rana. Big help to know that Gerard St. is NOT the place to buy from.

I will home in on one of the stores in whose vicinity I shall be in.

Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:12 pm 

asian video
1180 midway blvd
mississuaga on
905-564-7676.
no two in one dvds

for cheap two in one dvds bollywood bazaar
markham and lawrence (northeast corner, next to the supermarket)
scarborough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:11 am 

rana wrote:
'Khaaike Paan Phir Video' (don't remember exact address, but it's near Hwy 404 and Toll Hwy 407.

7381 Kennedy Road
(Kennedy & Denison)
(905) 415 - 0338

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:16 am 

to get to Asian, go north on Dixie north of 401 make a left on Midland (you'll see a Tim Hortons/Wendys combo) keep driving and it's on the left. From the airport, go north on airport Rd, make a left on Derry to go West....then a left on Dixie. You'll see Midland on west side on dixie.

-Bh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:54 pm 

Bludhound wrote:
to get to Asian, go north on Dixie north of 401 make a left on Midway (you'll see a Tim Hortons/Wendys combo) keep driving and it's on the left. From the airport, go north on airport Rd, make a left on Derry to go West....then a left on Dixie. You'll see Midway on west side on dixie.

-Bh

Correction in block letters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:43 pm 

I cannot believe what you are saying about the dealers on Gerrard street!! I have been shopping there for two years now and have NEVER been cheated. If I ask whether a DVD is original, the store owner tells me the truth and the quality of the DVDs are great -- both original and pirate. Also it's nonsense that the 2 in 1s cost 12- 15 dollars. I have NEVER paid more than 10 and sometimes less. Futhermore the store owners will take back DVDs that freeze or have problems and sometimes exchange ones that I hate for others that I like!! I am shocked that such misinformation is allowed to be spread just like that! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:48 pm 

Is calling to Canada is free from US, I wonder, I tried once to call asian using my phone and it ringed! but still not sure.