It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:56 pm 

Came across this website, thought I'd share the link:

http://www.bollywoodvinyl.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 pm 

bhaskar,
I dont think people buy Vinyl's these days because of MP3 and now 4 and Compact Disc Audio CD's
JAT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 pm 

Yes - I have bought LPs of them before - but they are very expensive compared to eBay. There are some regular sellers on eBay that I buy from. Just for Jat's info - Bollywood vinyl is very saleable - lots of LPs are selling for high prices. There is a huge market for vinyl in general as audiphiles prefer vinyl to CDs and MP3s,

Indian / Pakistani records are quite rare and also in general they sound way better than the CDs that are released. So far the most expensive Indian records are the original version of Shalimar (this has an intricate cover with 3D cutouts - that one went for about 150pounds on eBay) and also Professor Pyarelal. If anyone has these you're lucky as they are worth alot!

I have recently been buying up as much vinyl as I can afford to add to my collection (that I inherited from my Dad). I've been buying loads of albums from the 1970's and also got Veer Zaara triple album set at a bargain price in mint condition!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm 

Muz,
Thats news to me
JAT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 pm 

LPs of Western albums are often better-mastered than the CDs, which often use noise reduction, dynamic compression, improper EQ, etc. This is true not only of old albums, but of newer albums issued on vinyl as well.

I'm getting back into vinyl slowly. Recently I bought a stereo receiver with a phono pre-amp in it, and I'm currently looking for a good turntable at a decent price. My dad has a few Indian LPs. I've watched a few desired ones on eBay and they've generally gone for more than what I was willing to pay.

Here's what I gather from tracking Indian LPs over the years:

78rpm records lasted in India until maybe the late 1960s. These were mostly used for film songs throughout the 60s, while classical LPs were released in the early to mid 1950s. There were LPs of film soundtracks and film song compilations starting in the early 60s. Perhaps the more wealthy people who could afford LPs and LP record players didn't listen to film songs. There are different LP labels for different eras and sub-labels of the HMV umbrella. I think Angel and Odeon were primarily used for film songs, while the HMV and Columbia labels were used for classical, though I've seen Columbia-labeled film music as well. LPs were produced in India as late as the early 90s, except for the occasional one-off like the Veer-Zaara LP.