It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm 

Any recommendations for Hindi Blu Ray Discs based on quality (has to be much better than DVD version) and content (entertainment value) ??

Thanks.

(Blue Ray)

Last edited by rana on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 am 

Oye Lucky on blu-ray was light years ahead of the DVD version and a pretty fun movie to boot. It's the only Indian movie BD I own. In most other cases, the BD's don't seem good enough or the films suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:10 pm 

sursubbu, despite your caution, I picked up a few Hindi Blu Ray discs. So far just saw one disc and was shocked to see the recording.

Blu Ray Player shows the following info:

1080 24P
video @ over 35 Mbps

Now, the running picture, looks fine (I don't know what's expected) but hit the pause button or frame advance and you get fuzzy picture indicating Field Averaging.
If Field Averaging, what's the point of P24 (Progressive recording) ??

It appears that even if the transfer was mastered in High Def, it sure was not done on 24 film frames to 24 video frames. High Def or Standard Def master could have been any of the other Frame Rate Formats, like 25, 50, 29.97, 59.94 etc and then converted to 24P, using Field Averaging. WHY ??

(I suspect standard format for India would be 25, 50, then why not give us 1080 P25 or 1080 P50, whatever was the original conversion)

(Give me standard Def Direct Film to NTSC or PAL Progressive DVD instead)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 am 

Welcome to world of high def rana sahab:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 pm 

Till date they can't get DVDs right yet we expect them to master High-Def? :?
I bought a couple of BRs and then stopped as they are NOT worth it IMO. I now stick to Hollywood BDs instead only. Heck the Hollywood BDs even drop in price within months yet Bollywood BDs retain their price tags of $20 US +

.. sorry had to put my two cents in. BTW Welcome to HD Rana Bhai :D

Movies I have in HD from Bollywood:

Eros:
Hey Baby
Om Shanti Om
Partner
Wanted

Image Entertainment:
Kites

Sheng Chi Media:
Devdas

Sony:
Saawariya

T-Series
Don
Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kiya

UTV:
Race

YRF:
Bachna Ae Haseeno
Dostana
Pyaar Impossible
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

The only company that seems to try is YRF other companies have one off titles that are decent. Others in this forums are more in depth and can provide much better info on which to buy and which not to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 am 

urbanlegend wrote:
Till date they can't get DVDs right yet we expect them to master High-Def? :?
I bought a couple of BRs and then stopped as they are NOT worth it IMO. I now stick to Hollywood BDs instead only. Heck the Hollywood BDs even drop in price within months yet Bollywood BDs retain their price tags of $20 US +

.. sorry had to put my two cents in. BTW Welcome to HD Rana Bhai :D

Movies I have in HD from Bollywood:

Eros:
Hey Baby
Om Shanti Om
Partner
Wanted

Image Entertainment:
Kites

Sheng Chi Media:
Devdas

Sony:
Saawariya

T-Series
Don
Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kiya

UTV:
Race

YRF:
Bachna Ae Haseeno
Dostana
Pyaar Impossible
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

The only company that seems to try is YRF other companies have one off titles that are decent. Others in this forums are more in depth and can provide much better info on which to buy and which not to.

Good Pick. Imho, Guzzarish BD is nice too, but film is a lame duck.
I would only buy a film in BD if you like the film itself and would watch it again:) Just a humble suggestion.

More so Mosoon Wedding Criterion is pretty darn good too.
How abt Jodha ka Akbar?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 am 

rana wrote:
sursubbu, despite your caution, I picked up a few Hindi Blu Ray discs. So far just saw one disc and was shocked to see the recording.

Blu Ray Player shows the following info:

1080 24P
video @ over 35 Mbps

Now, the running picture, looks fine (I don't know what's expected) but hit the pause button or frame advance and you get fuzzy picture indicating Field Averaging.
If Field Averaging, what's the point of P24 (Progressive recording) ??

It appears that even if the transfer was mastered in High Def, it sure was not done on 24 film frames to 24 video frames. High Def or Standard Def master could have been any of the other Frame Rate Formats, like 25, 50, 29.97, 59.94 etc and then converted to 24P, using Field Averaging. WHY ??

(I suspect standard format for India would be 25, 50, then why not give us 1080 P25 or 1080 P50, whatever was the original conversion)

(Give me standard Def Direct Film to NTSC or PAL Progressive DVD instead)

My Bad, the first BR disc that I opened was the worst of them all. But, out of 3 other BRs that I picked up, 2 were Progressive, or at least they seem to be. The third disc gives somewhat fuzzy freeze frames so can't say if it's field averaged or just plain bad encoding. But, the first one that I commented on above, most likely is 25/50 to 24 converted using field averaging.

Surprisingly, the BRs with fuzzy freeze frames is encoded at 35 or higher MBPS and the BRs with sharper freeze frames are around 20 MBPS. Another reason to indicate high bit rate used to overcome faulty process of 25 to 24 field averaged conversion.

BTW, one of the BRs (better one) stated to have been mastered using 4K process, a Hindi first, according to the producer's statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:58 pm 

rana wrote:
BTW, one of the BRs (better one) stated to have been mastered using 4K process, a Hindi first, according to the producer's statement.

Sadly it's mainly movies shat out of Sajid Khan's butt that get 4k mastering process.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:18 pm 

Rana Yaar! We lived with sub optimal DVDs entire life and unfortunately bd will be same:( we will have to live with it. So if not optimal in quality or content to your likening, I guess we should not buy those:(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:35 am 

There are 24 film frames per sec and 24P format should duplicate those 24 film frames. Period.

Then, how come most Blue Ray discs, coming from India, in 24P format have fuzzy freeze frames ??

I think, as India is a 50 (2X25) Hz country, their HD is at 25 (or 50) frames per sec. Now, it's 24P that's universal standard, so they convert 25 fps to 24 fps using field averaging, same as they do PAL to NTSC. So, this 1080P24 video can't be any better than routine 480i field averaged ??

Just noticed on Moserbaer DUM MARO DUM DVD, it says, "Digitally Mastered From High Def Source". I believe that. But, as the DVD is Field Averaged, it must be the case of 25P converted to 24P, using Field Averaging.

(NTSC real is 59.97xxxx--- fields per sec and not exact 60. If you don't take care of 60 vs 59.97 properly, you again could end up field averaging)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:43 pm 

I have Eros-Partner, Veer and Dabang, I even watched Dabang on a 3D TV and was very pleased as I used the 3D button on the TV.
Nothing is perfect considering I paid USD 11.99 each with free shipping. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm 

I finally made the switch to blu ray recently as well, although not planning to buy blu rays the way I used to buy dvds. The only one I have so far is "Raanjeeti" and may get DDLJ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:56 am 

sasural wrote:
I have Eros-Partner, Veer and Dabang, I even watched Dabang on a 3D TV and was very pleased as I used the 3D button on the TV.
Nothing is perfect considering I paid USD 11.99 each with free shipping. :lol:

not bad, for $10 bucks plus shipping from where sasural?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 am 

Consider the scenario, most BR players upscale pq TO 1080P no matter what the input signal, even if it's 10th generation VHS copy. This 1080P signal, even though crap, can be re-authored into a BR disc.
I'm sure there are many Bollywood BRs in circulation that are really upscaled from std def DVDs. We don't need to buy these BRs as our old DVDs sure can be played as 1080P on our BR players.

If you come across any of the Bollywood BR that you think has been has been upscaled from std def master, please post it here so as to warn rest of us zulmies.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm 

In the last few months, I picked up a few Bollywood BRs. Some were as cheap as $5 and some around $20. Obviously some were genuine and some pirate ?? If I bought it for $5, it could be genuine but on clearance price (yes, there were some). So, can't say for sure which one is genuine release and which one a pirate.

Also, as I found it on Billu Barber BR, pirate versions are not necessarily copies of original BR. The pirate copies may be a copy of original or could be a new recording. (Pirate-Billu Barber BR is full screen 16:9 and has picture cut off from all four sides of the original 2.35:1 picture.

So, if Billu BR is not an exact copy of original, it could be a new encoding from scratch, from film or from Orig Blu Ray or from TV broadcast ?? It could be better or worst than original BR ??

Same goes for all Blu Rays. You just don't know who to trust.

--------------------
Moserbaer Original Blu Ray of BLUE is 24 to 25 to 24 fps converted Field Averaged. Result: each and every moving frame is blurry. Garbage.