It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm 

http://eshop.ayngaran.com/uk/product_in ... ccacc78fbb

Post subject: Re: Kaavalan Blu-ray out
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:46 pm 

expected date june 2011 but came much earlier

even before madrasapatinam and boss engira baskaran :)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 am 

Post subject: Kavalan blu-ray review
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 am 

The movie itself:

Kavalan is the remake of the Malayalam hit "Bodyguard" and was a much-awaited film also due to the return of the Vijay–Asin pair. Bhoominathan (Vijay) falls in love with a girl (Asin), without knowing her identity. The concept of love without knowing the person is not a new idea to the Tamil screen. Though the drama over the calls from a private number creates some interest, the redundant nature of the scenes put off the viewer, who starts feeling bored. The climax twist (in the train) is an interesting finish though. The chemistry between Asin and Vijay didn't have any life and so does the comedy of Vijay-Vadivelu, which falls flat. Vidyasagar's music is mostly forgettable. But, the movie has performed reasonably well commercially and is very watchable as opposed to some of the other Vijay movies from the recent past.

Video:

Ayngaran delivers Kavalan to blu with a suitably stunning visual presentation, even though it is a bare-bones release. The picture is a thing of beauty, an absolutely outstanding transfer. Color balance and levels of detail are excellent throughout. I couldn't see any DNR or edge enhancement. Skin tones look realistic, blacks are deep, depth is apparent and the colors are vibrant. Ayngaran has delivered a top-notch encode - even with the intensely fast motion in some scenes the image never breaks up or suffers from compression artifacts. All in all, 'Kavalan' stands tall with the other worthy transfers from Ayngaran.

Audio:

Kavalan sashays into our living rooms with an effective DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack. Of utmost importance is the music, which comes through with great power and clarity. The vocals and the dialogue are clear in the mix as they come out the front center channel. The subwoofer completes the songs, giving them oomph free of distortion. Great bass kicks can be heard during the action sequences. The dynamic range is expansive. I didn't particularly listen to the Tamil 5.1 Dolby HD soundtrack, but it should be comparable.

Extras:

None

Overall:

Kavalan is a flawed effort that doesn't wholly deliver on its initial promise, but it's still a good piece of entertainment. For those who are interested in Vijay's movies, it is a must-own title as this might just herald his awakening from the depths of slumber he had descended into. For others looking to just kill some time, and willing to make allowances for the weaknesses of the movie itself, this blu-ray disc comes with excellent technical specifications. Recommended unconditionally for Vijay fans and conditionally for others..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 pm 

I am watching it today and 1st thing I noticed was the very small menu selection.
I have a big screen but I hardly could see the options at audio and subtitles.
Was it done for a 100 inch screen? :? :shock:

Picture and sound are great but not sure about the movie itself.
Somehow Dilip as clumsy body guard fitted better in the role