Music: Yuvan Shankar Rajah
Video: 1080 P High Definition 16X9/ 2.35:1 AVC:4
Audio: Tamil 5.1 Uncompressed (48 KHz/ 16bit) 6.4 Mbps
Subtitle: English

Already ordered!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:13 am 

guess first time ayn has released two bluray's simultaneously

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 am 

It has been almost 3 weeks since I got this BD and I figured that I would do a quick take on this blu-ray with my first impressions..

The movie itself:

Naan Mahaan Alla is about a cool, happy go lucky Jeeva (Karthi), who lives life on his own terms. Though Jobless, his parents, especially his father, never fail to give him money and shower love and affection on him. It is love at first sight with the smart and beautiful Priya (Kajal Aggarwal) and love blossoms between the two. But all is not well in paradise when his father Jayaprakash (Jayaprakash), a call taxi driver, is subjected to a murder attempt as he was the sole witness to a girl being taken by a gang in his call taxi, who subsequently happens to end up on the television news, murdered and chopped into pieces. The gang eventually murder Jeeva's Dad, leaving Jeeva shattered. It is then that the movie plays true to its title (Naan Mahaan Alla loosely translates into 'I am not a saint') and Jeeva's life takes a drastic turn - he sets out on a mission to identify the culprits and goes running around the town baying for their blood, eventually avenging his father's death. As you can see, there is nothing original about the story. But, it is a commercial entertainer which is worth a watch.

Video:

The film looks fantastic on Blu-ray with its 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer, which is crisp and clean. Though the picture's color scheme is muted compared to some other movies I've seen recently, skin tones are warm and the Black levels are solid with the exception of a few dimly lit scenes. Clarity is simply exceptional in most scenes with only some CGI sequences showing blurring and softening of the image. There are no traces of heavy-handed DNR to be seen and no overt edge enhancement. I've said it before and I'll say it again here: Ayngaran's recent contemporary releases have been spot on. Naan Mahaan Alla is no exception.

Audio:

Naan Mahaan Alla explodes onto Blu-ray with a powerhouse DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack. Though it is bombastic and loud in the sound design department, this is one helluva smooth track. Dialogue throughout is very crisp, stable and clean, with wonderful detail. Every speaker in your arsenal will come out to play, while engaging in the Action and Song sequences. I didn't particularly listen to the Tamil 5.1 LPCM Uncompressed Studio Master, but it has traditionally rivalled the DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

Extras:

None

Overall:

Naan Mahaan Alla is a commercial potboiler done right. The Blu-ray disc is a winner as well—with a striking high definition transfer and a strong audio track—although it does come up short in the supplements department. Regardless, if you're looking for something fun, with a decent sprinkling of romance, and as violent as a 15 rating will allow, the BD definitely fits the bill. Recommended.:)