It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:38 am 

Sunny, I hope you'll include extra features in future titles if they are available and there is free space to utilize

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:32 pm 

There is a 30min making of documentary on the Blu-ray of Raavanan (Tamil). However, this is not subtitled due to budget constraints. We spend all the money for optimal picture/sound quality on the main feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 pm 

krosswindz wrote:

Its really good to know that Tamil Blu-ray authoring are at the hands of an expert. One thing which I feel disappointed with Tamil Blu-ray being the audio bit depth in invariably 16 bit which IMHO is more of CD quality. Is this because the original audio master is recorded at 16 bit instead of 24bit or is it because of some other restriction. 24bit audio bit depth would definitely do better justice for Blu-rays, ofcourse just padding 16 to 24 would be pointless.

All sound masters for Tamil features are originally created at 16bit. No point in padding to 24bit.
Some movies were mixed in 24bit (back in 1996 when DTS was first introduced) but directors felt that the ADR and OTT sound effects sounded more artificial as it was too detailed. So they reverted back to 16bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:20 am 

Sunny, are top Indian directors and DOPs aware of Red Epic camera? Are they planning to use it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 am 

mhafner wrote:
Sunny, are top Indian directors and DOPs aware of Red Epic camera? Are they planning to use it?

They are...I heard one South Indian Film are looking at Red Epic for filming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:14 pm 

Image My BR arrived today Image
Now I need to find time to watch it this week 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 pm 

What's the point of having PCM and DTS MA? Is one not the losslessly compressed version of the other?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm 

I would only have 5.1 PCM. But since the Uncomrpessed format causes problems on most old amps/ 5.1 systems we have also included DTS-MA (a more widely used sound format for the home theatre). Bascially, the PCM is for me :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am 

^ I am confused, I thought old amps and AVRs decode PCMs and they have issues with the newer multi channel DTS HDMA track.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 am 

krosswindz wrote:
^ I am confused, I thought old amps and AVRs decode PCMs and they have issues with the newer multi channel DTS HDMA track.
You are corect. But the issue with DTS HD MA is not so severe. I think Sunny is referring to the fact that Older Amps that cannot decode HD MA can atleast down-convert DTS HD MA to core DTS Track which can still give an impressive 5.1 result. However with PCM the older Amps are stuck to just decoding any 5.1 spurce to just 2 channel sound only.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:39 am 

I wonder how many people with older amps know of the "analog out" option to get lossless sound. If your player has built in audio decoders and your amp supports 5.1/7.1 analog audio out, you can get lossless sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:55 am 

nitin77 wrote:
I wonder how many people with older amps know of the "analog out" option to get lossless sound. If your player has built in audio decoders and your amp supports 5.1/7.1 analog audio out, you can get lossless sound.

Small correction: Analog output of the source (in this case blu-ray player) to analog input (most probably multi channel input) of the receiver. Almost all of the 3rd generation blu-ray players have a built-in decoder.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am 

yep sorry, my mistake. 5.1/7.1 analog out from the player, which isnt that common I guess. Most older receivers have 5.1/7.1 analog input.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 am 

Anurag1700 wrote:
krosswindz wrote:
You are corect. But the issue with DTS HD MA is not so severe. I think Sunny is referring to the fact that Older Amps that cannot decode HD MA can atleast down-convert DTS HD MA to core DTS Track which can still give an impressive 5.1 result. However with PCM the older Amps are stuck to just decoding any 5.1 spurce to just 2 channel sound only.

If one has the older AVR that does only PCM, why not let the player do the decoding and output PCM. I think most players should be able to output PCM over TOS link if the player doesnt have multichannel analog output which can be used with the receiver. I feel having two lossless audio tracks is just an over kill and the additional space could either be used for extras or additional video bandwidth. This is once again just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm 

krosswindz wrote:
Anurag1700 wrote:
krosswindz wrote:

If one has the older AVR that does only PCM, why not let the player do the decoding and output PCM. I think most players should be able to output PCM over TOS link if the player doesnt have multichannel analog output which can be used with the receiver. I feel having two lossless audio tracks is just an over kill and the additional space could either be used for extras or additional video bandwidth. This is once again just my opinion.

Toslink does not support the big codecs (DTS HD MA, DTHD & Uncompressed PCM), period. It supports only the lossy formats DD and DTS. So even if you select "Uncompressed PCM" in the movie's audio menu, most probably you'll only hear 2 channel audio through Toslink.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next