It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm 

Anybody know if the recently released Kal Ho Na Ho, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, K3G retain the DVD Special Features on Blu Ray (and also the previously released Kabh Alvida Na Kehna)?

Many Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 pm 

Apparently not. But does it matter when the picture quality looks like this? Stick with the DVD.

Absolutely disgraceful! :ffs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 am 

Haha! Good point I have not seen any SS yet so might wait for the reviews! Prob is my copy KKHH is the NON Anamorphic first rls....What to do!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm 

(rant about apparently doctored stills removed)
Update: Apparently the old stills were not accurate so I'm reevaluating the situation. See posting below.

Last edited by mhafner on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 pm 

REM (regraded to match Yash Raj):
Yash Raj:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:52 pm 

Though those shots comparison are awsome and truly prove the fact that a "picture is worth a thousand words". thanks Mhafner. if one wants to really learn meaning of how Soft focus, Edge enhancement, DNR or Grains affect PQ, this is a almost a reference shot for this purpose.

However i would have been happier if the twoshots were exactly same which they arent. He is closer to camera in YRF shot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 am 

Anurag1700 wrote:
Though those shots comparison are awsome and truly prove the fact that a "picture is worth a thousand words". thanks Mhafner. if one wants to really learn meaning of how Soft focus, Edge enhancement, DNR or Grains affect PQ, this is a almost a reference shot for this purpose.
However i would have been happier if the twoshots were exactly same which they arent. He is closer to camera in YRF shot.

Exact same shot is not relevant here since it's not about compression, color/contrast or aspect ratio/framing details but the destructive effect of sledgehammer filtering applied with no taste or awareness of what it does, was designed for or should be used for, on the textures and look of images shot on film. The Yash version is reframed anyway. If I had quickly found the exact frame I would have used it though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:05 am 

hmmm ive seen some more screenshots of this and they dont look as bad as the ones posted here?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 pm 

See the screenshots from Blu-Ray.com to clear up any miss information the screen shots being bad, and etc.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/india/159766-k ... shots.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm 

ksingh wrote:
See the screenshots from Blu-Ray.com to clear up any miss information the screen shots being bad, and etc.

Phew! Those shots still look less than perfect, but are far, far better. Must be a case of bad capturing software by the original poster.

Incidentally, I see some people at the Blu-ray.com forum are moaning about my choice of screenshot, saying that it is meant to look the way it does because it is an out-of-focus shot. They obviously didn't realise it was a good example since it illustrated the amount of grain reduction used. But no matter - the actual Blu-rays now do seem worth buying after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 pm 

Stephen wrote:
ksingh wrote:

Phew! Those shots still look less than perfect, but are far, far better. Must be a case of bad capturing software by the original poster.

Incidentally, I see some people at the Blu-ray.com forum are moaning about my choice of screenshot, saying that it is meant to look the way it does because it is an out-of-focus shot. They obviously didn't realise it was a good example since it illustrated the amount of grain reduction used. But no matter - the actual Blu-rays now do seem worth buying after all.

You mean I can replace my non anamorphic KKHH :) Just picked em up at £12 each (not a steal) but ok I suppose...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:08 pm 

Ok, proper stills comparison this time:
Yash1 Image
REM1 Image
Yash2 Image
REM2 Image
Yash3 Image
REM3 Image
Yash4 Image
REM4 Image
Yash5 Image
REM5 Image
Yash6 Image
REM6 Image

So Yash is reframed, regraded (tendency to black crush and oversaturated colors), a bit sharpened, but not DNRed and apparently clean(er). Yash colors overall preferable it seems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm 

Based on these screenshots, the 'Yash Raj' K3G blu-ray seems to be a huge improvement over the atrocious REM version. While REM version is a complete disaster, the 'Yash Raj' version too seems to have it's share of problems. As pointed by 'mhafner', it clearly suffers from 'black crush' and 'over saturated colors'. There seems to be at least some contrast boost at play here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:17 pm 

@ sanjay and all.....i recomend all of you to have a look at screenshots of all 3 titles posted by rahul in SOME other site......all the 3 titles look promissing to me.....:D :)