It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:13 pm 

Appeal to Shemaroo:
It is abovious, from this blu-ray and the blu-ray of 'IShqiya', that Shemaroo is a company quite capable of producing 'very good' blu-rays. Therefore, please do not ruin your blu-rays by putting 'visible' logo 'watermarks'. As a qualified advertising/marketing person, I can assure you, that presenting your logo in this manner, does not promote the brand. Rather it only generates ill will and animosity towards the brand. As an anti piracy measure too, 'visible' watermarks do not help, as is very evident from the rampant piracy of bollywood DVDs. 'Visible' watermarks only serve as irritants to 'paying customers', who ironically do not have to suffer them on pirated media. In other words, by putting 'visible' watermarks, you are compelling 'paying customers' to opt for pirated media rather than to buy the legal releases. Even if there are any benefits to putting 'visible' watermarks, the negatives far outweigh those perceived benefits.

Title: Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
Year: 2009
BD Release: 2010
IMDB Rating: 5.9
Category: Action | Comedy | Musical | Romance
Distributor: Shemaroo Entertainment
Authoring House: Shemaroo
Region Coding: A/B/C
MRP: Rs. 799/-
Media: Main Feature - 50GB BD
Running Time: 02:30:43 hrs
Chapters: 24
Video:
2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 23.976Hz
Peak Bitrate ?Mbps | Average Bitrate ?Mbps
Audio:
1/2 Hindi - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48khz) <-- Default Track
2/2 Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: <-- 2.35:1 Screen Friendly (Positioned at the bottom of the picture area)
1/1 English

Extras:
1. Theatrical Trailers: 00:05:06 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
There are 'Two' trailers. There are no chapters for the trailers and thus you cannot skip from one to the other.
2. TV Promos: 00:04:32 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
There are 'Five' promos. There are no chapters for the promos and thus you cannot skip from one to the other.
3. All Full Songs: 00:22:12 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
This is an absolute waste of disc space. I am at a total loss to understand why this has been included, since these are the same songs, except one 'remix' of the 'Tu Jaane Na' song, that are already present as part of the 'main feature'and also as a seperate HD video stream via the 'Song Menu'. These on the other hand are in in crappy SD. Thus, effectively all the songs have been presented on the blu-ray in three seperate video streams. What a waste of disc space.
4. Deleted Scenes: 00:54:01 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
This actually contains deleted and extended scenes. Strangely enough parts of the scenes turn 'Black & White' for no rhyme or reason. There are no chapter marks for the deleted scenes and thus you cannot skip thru any of them.
5. The Making: 00:24:30 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
This has been originally shot in HD, but is sadly presented on the blu-ray in SD.
6. Success Party: 00:07:36 | SD MPEG2 29.97Hz | 4:3 | DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono ; DD 2.0 mono
This has been originally shot in HD, but is sadly presented on the blu-ray in SD.
7. Images & Posters: 00:28:46 | HD MPEG2 24Hz | 16:9 | No Audio
This is a collection of images from the movie and publicity posters. Once again there are no chapter amrks and thus you cannot skip from one to the other.

Special Mention:
1. The blu-ray is marred by the 'visible' Shemaroo logo 'watermark' <-- This is absolutely shameful and reprehensible.
2. Option to play 'All Songs'.

Authoring issues:
1. Pop-up menus do not close on their own and stay up forever or until manually closed by the menu button or a selection is made.
2. No pop-up menu while playing extras.
3. There are no chapter marks in any of the extras. <-- This is plain and simply just laziness on the part of the authorer.

Review:
Detailed Comments to follow....(time permitting).
NOT RECOMMENDED

My ratings: (out of 5.0)
Movie: 2.9
Video: 4.5
Audio: 4.2
Extras: 3.75
Misc.: 1.0
Overall: 0 (If it were not for the obnoxious logo 'watermark', it would rate 3.95)

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Screenshots courtesy 'DDR'.

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware Modified 'Region Free' with 'BDP83-50-0424' firmware)
PS3 (80GB US 'Region A' with firmware v3.50)

Screenshots Discussion thread: Blu-ray Screenshots: Ajab Prem Ki Gajhab Kahani (Shame-aroo)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:28 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
Thus, effectively all the songs have been presented on the blu-ray in three seperate video streams. What a waste of disc space.[/b].
Seriously what an atrocious job!! and we were thinking Keeping a 2nd stream is a crime in itself.

Sanjay wrote:
4. Deleted Scenes:Strangely enough parts of the scenes turn 'Black & White' for no rhyme or reason.
This is probably done to differentiate the already existing portions of the film from their extended parts. I clearly remember this was also sone for deleted scenes in Kal Ho Na Ho DVD in which this was explained as well perhaps here for Ajab... this explanation got missing.

Thanks for proving Details on Extras of the BD. Either way, i am not a fan of the film at all so will never be buying it. But hopefully Shemaroo should listen and corrt their mistakes. As their first Blu Rays, we can forgive mistakes only if they correct it at the earliest. They have got some titles very good ones (Shemaroo, if you are reading this, Dont you dare ruin my favourite Khakee like this) and I will be really sad if they ignored the current customer feedback. Very few authoring houses get the advantage of being the distributor of the film themselves and this is something Shemaroo should realise the responsibility for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:51 pm 

Anurag1700 wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
4. Deleted Scenes:Strangely enough parts of the scenes turn 'Black & White' for no rhyme or reason.
This is probably done to differentiate the already existing portions of the film from their extended parts. I clearly remember this was also sone for deleted scenes in Kal Ho Na Ho DVD in which this was explained as well perhaps here for Ajab... this explanation got missing.

Actually that is what I figured the 'Black & White' segments represented, but that is not the case here. There are more than enough scenes that are part of the film but are in 'Color', thus there seemed to be really no logic behind why only very brief moments, I think twice in the 54 odd minutes, when the 'Color' dissapears.

Anurag1700 wrote:
But hopefully Shemaroo should listen and corrt their mistakes. As their first Blu Rays, we can forgive mistakes only if they correct it at the earliest. They have got some titles very good ones (Shemaroo, if you are reading this, Dont you dare ruin my favourite Khakee like this) and I will be really sad if they ignored the current customer feedback. Very few authoring houses get the advantage of being the distributor of the film themselves and this is something Shemaroo should realise the responsibility for.

I personally don't have much hope for Shemaroo listening to us or taking any feedback at all. After all, inspite of all the clear messages regarding logo 'watermarks' for over a year, that too direct comments targeted at Shemaroo over this, they have still put their obnoxious logo 'watermark' on the blu-rays and that too all throughout the movie. But even then, I hope better sense prevails at Shemaroo and I would be glad to be proven wrong on this. BIG Home Video too has started authoring their own blu-rays, '3 Idiots' & 'Kites' being the first two releases, and they have done an atrocious job. Thus, distributors authoring for themselves does not seem to insure anything.

PS: It is an absolute shame that Shemaroo has totally nullified their good work on the audio/video front by their ignorant and rude inclusion of logo 'watermarks'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 am 

I am borrowing this one for review purpose only. Will post my thoughts on this tomorrow.