It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:44 am 

Shemaroo finally opens its accnt in the HIGH DEFINITION ! Ishqiya and Ajab Prem ki Gajab Kahani blu-rays out today with a price tag of 799

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:04 am 

Thanks for the heads up. After having taken an eternity to finally release these titles, I am very curious to see what kind of quality Shemaroo has finally delivered. Also, I am sure what will be of interest to most, is whether Shemaroo has put their logo watermarks on the BDs or not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 am 

very interested to hear quality comments about Ishqiya, the last bollywood film I liked.

Sanjay, I take it I can trust you to deliver :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:28 pm 

Screenshots have been posted on the other site on APKGK, PQ looks good, however the watermarks are there!!!
As i said, i hope this was when Shemaroo was initially planning to release the movie. and the subsequent titles are watermark free.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:42 pm 

Too late Shemaroo. Although I am sure they must have done a decent job for the first title, the watermark is something just not acceptable today. Waiting for a re-release if they can remove it later like YRF.

Cmon Sanjay ur turn to say- 'Phir Se Gai Bhains Paani Mein' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 pm 

The PQ seems to have incorrect hue . The overall color temp is on the colder side with people appearing more reddish than they should be. Not impressed on color. And of course watermark is not acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 pm 

All I have to say is, Shame-aroo!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:27 am 

I feel differently. The publishers have right to protect their assets from future misuse.
Even Sunny Audit supported his publisher for water mark. No one objected that time.
Though PQ and AQ is not of reference quality but it is acceptable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 am 

divakar wrote:
I feel differently. The publishers have right to protect their assets from future misuse.

Oh! please stop with the publisher's rights nonsense. First of all, watermarks do nothing to deter from misuse. For if they did, then piracy would not be as rampant as it is with Indian VCDs/DVDs, especially considering the widespread use of 'watermarks' in Indian VCDs/DVDs. Based on your skewed logic, the producers should also put huge logo watermarks during the screening in theaters too. After all, the first and most common source of piracy are theatrical screenings. Also, as an extention of your skewed logic, the producer also has the right to put advertisements before and during the movie. Why not? After all the producer also has the right to make profit from his "assets". I am actually surprised that bollywood has not yet started to insert voiceovers on audio releases. After all, audio piracy is even more rampant than video piracy. Imagine how much more fun listening to your favorite songs will be, with the voiceover uttering 'Shemaroo' after every line, or better yet, like the 'watermarks' on these blu-rays, with Shemaroo being uttered throughout the song.

Ofcourse, in all of this, who cares about the paying consumer. Consumers should have no rights and companies ought to be allowed to fleece their customers, right? It is absolutely shocking as to how gullible and absolutely ignorant some, or should I say, most Indian consumers are.

divakar wrote:
Even Sunny Audit supported his publisher for water mark. No one objected that time.

First of all, I highly doubt that a mature and intelligent person such as Sunny would advocate the use of visible 'watermarks'. In fact, although I could be wrong, but I don't know of any blu-rays that Sunny has worked on that have 'visible' watermarks during the movie. Secondly and more importantly, even if he does support visible 'watermarks', and I say this with absolutely no disrespect to Sunny, it would still not justify or make the practise right. It's not like he, or anyone else including myself, is above all, to determine what is right or wrong.

VISIBLE 'watermarks' are not just an obnoxious afront to consumer rights, but they are also a complete disrespect to the director and all other creative artists involved with the movie.

divakar wrote:

That is the really sad part about these two blu-rays. Other than a few small issues here and there, Shemaroo, based on the screenshots, seem to have delivered pretty good video quality. The picture actually is better than most of the recent BHV/T-Series/Moser Baer releases. But, sorry to say, Shemaroo has totally nullified their good work by putting the obnoxious 'watermarks'. I would anyday, prefer a slightly inferior picture quality without 'watermarks' over a better picture quality that has been marred by 'watermarks'.

PS: I am still trying to figure out how you have assessed the Audio quality of this blu-ray from just the screenshots. :-? Do you have any affliation to SHAME-aroo or the video industry in general? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 pm 

divakar wrote:
The publishers have right to protect their assets from future misuse.

The following post by Sunny in another thread (Blu-ray Screenshots: Ishqiya (Shame-aroo)), ought to make his position quite clear on the matter. Also it should put to rest any arguments, whether a producer has the right to put their logo 'watermarks' on commercially sold blu-rays.
Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
Company watermarks on a Full length movie are not allowed - unless the BD is used for non-profit or non-retail purposes. This is clearly stated on BD white paper.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:50 am 

divakar wrote:

:stupid: :baaa:

Sunny has never supported this obnoxious practice. Stop making up stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 am 

Shahran Sunny Audit
Post subject: Re: Question for Sunny - Tamil BDs Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 am

The DVD watermark is there to prevent TV/Cable stations using the DVD for broadcast. This was the decision made by the CEO.

Why different benchmark for Bollywood.If watermark is permitted on a Tamil DVD because CEO wanted then whats the problem with watermark on Bollywood BD.

Please provide the link if Bluray association link where they have restricted this. Perhaps after seeing the restriction, Bollywood may also stop watermarks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 am 

divakar wrote:
Shahran Sunny Audit
Post subject: Re: Question for Sunny - Tamil BDs Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 am

The DVD watermark is there to prevent TV/Cable stations using the DVD for broadcast. This was the decision made by the CEO.

Why different benchmark for Bollywood.If watermark is permitted on a Tamil DVD because CEO wanted then whats the problem with watermark on Bollywood BD.

Please provide the link if Bluray association link where they have restricted this. Perhaps after seeing the restriction, Bollywood may also stop watermarks.

its for dvd not for bluray....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:21 am 

divakar wrote:
The DVD watermark is there to prevent TV/Cable stations using the DVD for broadcast.

That is at best a very silly argument in support of 'watermarks'. 'Watermarks' can at best identify the source being used for a broadcast, it cannot and does not prevent the actual broadcast. Which would explain why 'watermarks' have had ZERO effect in curtailing piracy.
divakar wrote:
This was the decision made by the CEO.

That quite clearly, atleast to me shows that Sunny has distanced himself from the decision. As a consultant, his athourity is limited and ultimately is bound by the decisions of the owners/producers of a project.
divakar wrote:

The benchmark is not Bollywood or Tamil, rather it is the DVD & BD licensing rules set by the 'DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation (DVD FLLC)' and the 'Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA)'. I hope you atleast understand the distinction between the two.
divakar wrote:

But, Bollywood has already stopped using 'watermarks'. Other than ofcourse 'SHAMEAROO'. Considering SHAMEAROO's less than stellar track record and very questionable origins, I suppose it is kind of silly to have expected any better from them. So basically, your position is that as long as it is legal for SHEMAROO, they will exploit and abuse their customers.

PS: You have ignored to answer what your affliation to SHAMEAROO or the video industry in general is?