It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SINGAM Blu-ray released
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm 

Up for order from the Ayngaran website: http://eshop.ayngaran.com/ww/product_in ... 6cf5600c08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 am 

great news!! Hopefully Ravanan follows soon then I can make a double - blue - order :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:07 pm 

I am also waiting for Ravanan, so that I can order both to save on shipping charges. Hopefully Ayngaran will release that this month.

Post subject: SINGAM Blu-ray review
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:53 am 

There may be some (unfounded) controversy with the image quality of this release, so I might as well kickstart the deliberations! Let me state for the record that this new MPEG-4 AVC encoded Blu-ray presents the film with the best image quality it is ever going to have on home video. That probably still won't stop questions being raised by some who either never saw this film theatrically or don't remember what the film looked like in the theatrical screening. There were some issues with the DPX files - such as poor camerawork (out of focus), various aspect ratios, inconsistent color correction on some shots, weak CGI, ghosting on some motion shots especially during the car chases or fight scenes and DNR applied during post production, as reported earlier. However these are all production errors, and not associated with the actual blu-ray encoding. Fine detail is excellent, particularly when it comes to the texture of the actors' stubbly, sweaty faces. The transfer also nicely reproduces the film's color palette and showcases a wonderfully proficient presentation worthy of serious praise. Primaries are tempered yet wholly engrossing and skin tones are natural. While perceived contrast inconsistencies and a few brief bursts of increased noise are unfortunate side effects, the transfer itself doesn't falter. Color correction is director approved, and film grain elements are retained. A few random pops, scratches, and stray lines are also visible throughout. But, If you remember how this film looked theatrically, you will most likely agree that this is the best looking 'Singam' has ever been, in any release form (theatrical, home video or otherwise).

Singam roars onto Blu-ray with a solid DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track and an equally absorbing LPCM 5.1 uncompressed track. Though not overly active, the bass is potent, the rear channels intelligently used, and the high-frequencies not overdone. Generally speaking, there is a good range of dynamics that enhance the narrative rather well. The dialog is crisp, clean, stable, and easy to follow. There are no balance issues with the music score either. Lastly, while viewing the film I did not hear any annoying pops, cracks, hissings, or dropouts to report in this review.

Overall, the SINGAM Blu-ray comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, especially if you are a Surya fan. I am happy to report that most of the above-mentioned DPX issues are never apparent to any casual observer unless you are nit-picky by design or nature, and that is a testament to the expertise of the personnel involved with this release by Ayngaran

Last edited by dr_vasanth on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 am 

My copy is sitting in my mail box. Can't wait to watch it. Btw..an excellent review of the BD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:17 am 

dr_vasanth wrote:
There may be some (unfounded) controversy with the image quality of this release, so I might as well kickstart the deliberations! Let me state for the record that this new MPEG-4 AVC encoded Blu-ray presents the film with the best image quality it is ever going to have on home video. That probably still won't stop questions being raised by some who either never saw these films theatrically or don't remember what the film looked like in the theatrical screening. There were some issues with the DPX files - such as poor camerawork (out of focus), various aspect ratios, inconsistent color correction on some shots, weak CGI, ghosting on some motion shots especially during the car chases or fight scenes and DNR applied during post production, as reported earlier. However these are all production errors, and not associated with the actual blu-ray encoding. Fine detail is excellent, particularly when it comes to the texture of the actors' stubbly, sweaty faces. The transfer also nicely reproduces the film's color palette and showcases a wonderfully proficient presentation worthy of serious praise. Primaries are tempered yet wholly engrossing and skin tones are natural. While perceived contrast inconsistencies and a few brief bursts of increased noise are unfortunate side effects, the transfer itself doesn't falter. Color correction is director approved, and film grain elements are retained. A few random pops, scratches, and stray lines are also visible throughout. But, If you remember how this film looked theatrically, you will most likely agree that this is the best looking 'Singam' has ever been, in any release form (theatrical, home video or otherwise).

Singam roars onto Blu-ray with a solid DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track and an equally absorbing LPCM 5.1 uncompressed track. Though not overly active, the bass is potent, the rear channels intelligently used, and the high-frequencies not overdone. Generally speaking, there is a good range of dynamics that enhance the narrative rather well. The dialog is crisp, clean, stable, and easy to follow. There are no balance issues with the music score either. Lastly, while viewing the film I did not hear any annoying pops, cracks, hissings, or dropouts to report in this review.

Overall, the SINGAM Blu-ray comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, especially if you are a Surya fan. I am happy to report that most of the above-mentioned DPX issues are never apparent to any casual observer unless you are nit-picky by design or nature, and that is a testament to the expertise of the personnel involved with this release by Ayngaran

Singam was prehaps the worse DPX file we've ever worked with. We tried to get the best possible results from it. However, the source was marred with so many production problems.
A big thanks to the AP International team, who worked on this project - with me supervising - the end result is a good blu-ray disc of Singam :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:56 pm 

I got this from a local retailer, already watched it for two times. The quality of the blu-ray is really good, compared to the recently released bollywood blu-rays. This movie has good replay value. I saw Sunny's name on the blu-ray cover on both Singam and Angaditheru. You should put your name in big letters. This movie is highly recommended for Surya fans or who likes kollywood masala movies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 am 

New AVC encoder? Is Ayngaran using x264?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:26 pm 

-AiR- wrote:

AFAIK no commercial release is yet to use x264 for encoding the Blu-ray content. Criterion I believe will be the first commercial distributor to use x264 for encoding Blu-ray content.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:54 pm 

SCREENS

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm 

Received my copy and watched it . Excellent PQ and Outstanding AQ. Overall highly recommended blu-ray.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:45 am 

krosswindz wrote:
-AiR- wrote:

AFAIK no commercial release is yet to use x264 for encoding the Blu-ray content. Criterion I believe will be the first commercial distributor to use x264 for encoding Blu-ray content.

http://www.x264bluray.com/x264-encoded-releases