It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:15 am 

divyansh wrote:
Anurag1700 wrote:
Wow ! those screenshots are really looking good. Th emoment i had first glance at the color scheme of SS, th entire movie on the theatrical screen flashed before my eyes. very few BDs were able to do that for me. This really means something...atleast I am assured by the SS that the Blu Ray has got the DOP's intended look spot on.

Thanks aatmaraam.

ARE YOU SURE ANURAG.....?? maybe its my monitor's fault here which makes me think that these screenshots arn't doing justice ....... and these are looking very bad and dull to me though details are fine......i dont have the actual blu ray with me but sanjay can explain......sanjay are these screenshots correct??? are they really doing justice to the disk...??

I think the actual picture in the blu-ray is not as dull as the screenshots suggest. Although I must warn you that this blu-ray looks nothing like the '3 Idiots' blu-ray and is not of the eye candy variety. But then again having seen the movie in the theater also, I feel the blu-ray is very close to replicating what I saw in the theater.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
divyansh wrote:
Anurag1700 wrote:
Wow ! those screenshots are really looking good. Th emoment i had first glance at the color scheme of SS, th entire movie on the theatrical screen flashed before my eyes. very few BDs were able to do that for me. This really means something...atleast I am assured by the SS that the Blu Ray has got the DOP's intended look spot on.

Thanks aatmaraam.

ARE YOU SURE ANURAG.....?? maybe its my monitor's fault here which makes me think that these screenshots arn't doing justice ....... and these are looking very bad and dull to me though details are fine......i dont have the actual blu ray with me but sanjay can explain......sanjay are these screenshots correct??? are they really doing justice to the disk...??

I think the actual picture in the blu-ray is not as dull as the screenshots suggest. Although I must warn you that this blu-ray looks nothing like the '3 Idiots' blu-ray and is not of the eye candy variety. But then again having seen the movie in the theater also, I feel the blu-ray is very close to replicating what I saw in the theater.

I agree with both Anuraag and Sanjay. The SS looks very similar to what I saw in the theater only it was slightly brighter IIRC. Good to see that it looks filmic and close to theater version and not like overprocessed digital video kind which is mostly the case with Bollywood BDs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm 

divyansh wrote:

I can see that u already got the response from the experts and so i guess there is no more need of my re-assurance as a layman. However, for one, yes I do agree with u and Ani about the little dullness. Probably in a light controlled room(like the one sanjay has), this filmic look will look pretty good. My primary comment was about the color scheme only. It looks exactly the same in terms of the 'yellowish/occassionally saturated' tint visible in theatres.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm 

To maintain the sanctity of this thread, all general discussion related to interval/intermission on DVDs/BDs, has been moved to --> Should the Interval/Intermission be retained for Home Video?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:09 pm 

Well.... I admit am probably the last person who rented and viewed this Blu ray so late but I just had to write about it cause I dont remember when was the last time I was so happy watching a film on Blu Ray. This was extremely satisfying HD experience for me . The most important benefits that stand out in this BD is ... actually i m just gonna reproduce sanjay's statements here cause he just soooo damn right here in his three comments:-

Sanjay wrote:
To my surprise though, when I viewed the movie on blu-ray, I actually enjoyed the movie far more and I was able to see a lot of nuances in the characters this time.
Bang On Sanjay ++++1!!!! Never been so happy with this feeling. i cud never believe this to be possible with a no brainer movie like Dabang but this is so damn true!!

Secondly,
Sanjay wrote:
I thought before I get down to watching '3 Idiots', let me just quickly take a peek at the quality of this blu-ray. As a testament to the movie, inspite of the fact that I had already seen it, I got so involved in enjoying the movie that I ended up watching the whole film and then the extras too. :) I suppose '3 Idiots' will now have to wait until tomorrow.
So true agin. I rented Magadheera to watch fully and just take a glimpse at Dabangg PQ but this thing which happened with sanjay happend with me as well- Just had to watch Dabang in its entirety.

And Finally, most importantly,
Sanjay wrote:
I think the actual picture in the blu-ray is not as dull as the screenshots suggest. ... then again having seen the movie in the theater also, I feel the blu-ray is very close to replicating what I saw in the theater.
The prime reason i never got interested before today in checking out this BD was the dull looking SS of a mindless film. But as it turns out, It kind of reminded me - today ! in a flashback of each and every thing I did on that whole day when watched the film in theatre. For a blu ray to be able to do that is more than a 5 star rating. this BD watching comes at a time when I had almost forgotten what Filmic look is all about and The BD format's capability to do it so perfectly , probably because i was busy last few weeks in recent SRK releases of KJO films which are nothing more than enhanced digital HD looks coming nowhere remotely near to filmic looks. A transfer like Dabangg restores my faith in HD format that someone somewhere might be still caring for director's intended vision of a film to get tranferred to Blu Ray.

Although quite late, still, i want to Thank You from the depth of my heart or the review Sanjay... just proves that your reviews are indeed timeless classics. Not to mention, a big thumbs up to the Blu ay manufacturer- Mr Chandna I guess?

Final word: All i can say is Wow!!!! What a Blu Ray!! One more viewing and this could be probably the only disc in my collection which I might buy just for its HD quality and not for the movie's liking. (Yo Anibap, i am kinda thinking like you at the moment :) )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:40 am 

Getting the blu-ray based on the comments here. Even if it's not wow, I assume it will at least have a more stable and solid image than the DVD release. The only other Bolly-BD I own is Oye Lucky.