It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:13 pm 

FINALLY GOT 3 IDOTS BLU RAY.......!!!!

and i want to clarify something that iam not affected by the menu not being functional

comming to the real blu ray.........though ive just skipped through chapters but the climax scenes in ladakh were enough to judge pq of this blu ray......GOOD NEWS IS grain is present.....and its not like kites or ouatim.......i personally am satisfied with the pq of this blu ray and comming to audio the dts-hd ma sounded healthy crisp and punchy and bass wasnt much boomy unlike other bollywood flicks.....surround usage is good but could have been better and i dont know why a pcm 2.0 track is included??? who needs it??? and the movie i love it so-so much and will give it

MOVIE 4.75/5
PQ 4.25/5
AQ 4.00/5
extras 2.00/5(there are no extras but director's commentry was quite good)

and everyone was wondering who made/authored this bd then here is the answer for you

MOSERBAER MANUFACTURED IT AND ITS MOST LIKELY THEY AUTHORED IT ALSO

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS BASED ONLY BY SKIPPING THROUGH CHAPTERS AND ILL SOON POST FULL REVIEW OF THE BD

P.S we all know in our minds that there is gonna be no replacement from any bollywood blu ray distributer and this bd doesnt needs a re-author but just like yrf did bhv should also can atleast re-encode the menus to make them functional......in the next lot of this blu ray......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm 

3 Idiots (2009)

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Screen shots Courtesy: DDR
Video:- HD 1080p
Audio:- 448 kb/s DD 5.1 | PCM 2.0 | DTS-MA | 224 kb/s DD 2.0
BD Size:- 39.8 GB
Subtitles:-English | Arabic | Dutch | French | Portu. | Malay | Spanish
Video Label:- BHV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 am 

divyansh wrote:
and i want to clarify something that iam not affected by the menu not being functional
Although I know it's not possible, but are you suggesting that the menus work fine on your copy of the blu-ray? You surely couldn't be suggesting that the totally disastorous authoring of this blu-ray is acceptable to you. If that is the case, then it is just sad and very dissapointing that even home theater afficiandos such as yourself feel this way. I suppose in future when we get more of the same, we will have no one to blame, but ourselves. It's no wonder that the Indian DVD market has been saddled with totally crappy DVDs all this while and I suppose we should now prepare ourselves for more of the same with blu-rays too. The only difference being, that instead of very cheap prices for DVDs we will now also be expected to pay obscenely high prices for the crappy Indian blu-rays. Why in the world would anyone pay a premium price of Rs. 899/-, or for that matter any price, for what is clearly a defective product, is totally beyond my comprehension.

divyansh wrote:
P.S we all know in our minds that there is gonna be no replacement from any bollywood blu ray distributer and this bd doesnt needs a re-author but just like yrf did bhv should also can atleast re-encode the menus to make them functional......in the next lot of this blu ray......
I for one certainly believe that we can make 'BIG Home Video' re-author and re-release this blu-ray. If a company such as Moser Baer can be made to recall and re-author their initial set of blu-rays then why not 'BIG Home Video'. I strongly believe that the reason why bollywood video consumers continue to be shafted time and time again is because of our not demanding more and accepting less. Can you even imagine the kind of reaction such a mishap would have evoked in the hollywood blu-ray forums, if any title, let alone a title such as 'Avatar' had been so horribly authored. I am sure you realize that '3 Idiots' is bollywood's 'Avatar'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 am 

My understanding of Divyansh's post (correct me if I'm wrong) is that he's not too bothered about menus -as long as the PQ and AQ is good, he's happy.

I, however, agree with Sanjay here. I have a trip to India coming up, when I was planning on picking up a number of BDs, including 3 Idiots. I'm not going to bother picking up a defective BD, especially at a premium. Any idea if this is going to get an overseas release?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:32 am 

divyansh wrote:
though ive just skipped through chapters but the climax scenes in ladakh were enough to judge pq of this blu ray......GOOD NEWS IS grain is present.....and its not like kites or ouatim.......i personally am satisfied with the pq of this blu ray.
Judging an entire blu-ray from just the 'climax scenes' or for that matter any other 'limited set' of scenes, is not very prudent and never a very good idea. There are many bad blu-rays with a few scenes that are relatively better than the rest of the blu-ray. As far as 'film grain' is concerned, I am wondering if you and I have watched the same blu-ray or maybe it's time I re-visited my optometrist. To me, the picture has been quite heavily DNR'd and very rarely, a few scenes at most, does one get to see much fine detail in the picture. Although not as bad as the 'Once Upon A Time In Mumbai' blu-ray, the picture is still quite waxy and soft throughout the blu-ray, which is certainly nothing like what I saw in the theater. Are you really satisfied with the picture quality or is your love for the movie 'coloring' your judgement a wee bit? :)

divyansh wrote:
and everyone was wondering who made/authored this bd then here is the answer for you

MOSERBAER MANUFACTURED IT AND ITS MOST LIKELY THEY AUTHORED IT ALSO
The blu-ray has been manufactured by Moser Baer but is not authored by them. I believe 'BIG Home Video' has set-up their own in house authoring center and this abomination is their work. The 'Kites' & 'Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai' blu-rays too, have been authored in-house by 'BIG Home Video'. Just for clarification, the 'Dabangg' blu-ray has been authored by 'Digital Entertainment'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 am 

sanjay first of all i did watched blu ray only 5-10 min and havnt watched the entire mvoe till now also and i mentioned that BHV SHOULD CORRECT THIS PROBLEM IN THE NEXT BATCH AND

TO CLARIFY MENUS ARE NOT FUNCTONAL.........I WAS ONLY ABLE TO ENTER INTO THE MENU THEN NO OPTION CAME....I COULD NOT GO BACK TO THE MAIN MENU.......

AND bhaskar got me right that iam not much bothered by all this to the extend pq and aq of movie are good and the irony is the pq isnt.....

my post as posted in blu-ray.com

Quote:
guyz did not got the time to watch the whole movie but watched other scenes and will say DNR is present........but not in large quantites.....I NOTICED IT IN THEATRES ALSO AND NOW RECONFIRMED IT IN BLU RAY THAT.......many scenes(mostly close-ups) are out of focus which obviously causes soft picture with lack of details ...... well its ok for dtph or mohabbatein but a movie released just 10 months ago this is poor.....other than this the colour levels are alright though there is a hint of contrast boost in some scenes.....but anywayz this by NO MEANS is THE BEST BLU RAY IN TERMS OF PQ.......its really an irony that the best movie released by blu ray that too by BHV doesnt has the best PQ :(

NOW COMMING TO THE AUDIO the dolby 2.0 track is just the directors commentry its ok but why they've included PCM 2.0(1.9mbps) TRACK?? it takes/wastes about 2.5 gb of the disk.....!!

and i just saw the specs that say the bd is only 39.8gb WTH why?? :eek::eek:

firstly the movie was long so it needed higher bitrates and secondly they even wasted space by incuding DD 5.1 and PCM 2.0 tracks .........why didnt they utilised the full space......

finally ill say that though the blu ray has released after about 11 months of the release of the movie but it is a RUSH JOB.......

like sanjay iam not happy with this disk......the pq is just about average......though audio is fine....!!

but one problem with audio that want there in the dvd

in the scene when farahan and raju take a u-turn to manali to get pia......that whole sequence including when they take her with them.......the LEFT SURROUND IS EMPTY /BLANK - non functional unlike dvd and this problem is present in both DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS HD-MA TRACKS........!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:14 pm 

Stills look filtered to me. Lack of fine detail and some smearing/clumping going on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 pm 

I saw 3I twice -same theater in Kolkata. The theater is owned by Fame and the picture quality is the best I have ever seen other than the Imax in Hyderabad. Even in the UK I do not get that kind of quality.

The 3I screening was excellent when I saw it in Kolkata in terms of color, sharpness and contrast and if the same kind of quality is not reproduced in the BD then I will be really dissapointed.

Guys please let me know how is the picture quality. I have asked my wife to pick it up from India on her way back but I might borrow a copy from my friend in the meantime.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:53 pm 

divyansh wrote:
but one problem with audio that want there in the dvd

in the scene when farahan and raju take a u-turn to manali to get pia......that whole sequence including when they take her with them.......the LEFT SURROUND IS EMPTY /BLANK - non functional unlike dvd and this problem is present in both DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS HD-MA TRACKS........!!

Actually, the audio problem starts all the way from 'Chapter 22 - 02:07:49' and it continues all the way thru to 'Chapter 25 - 02:24:05'. During this time, there is 'slight' lower frequency sounds in the left surround channel, but all mid/high frequencies are totally missing. The audio also suffers from some channel leakage problems in several places. Dialogues from the 'front center' channel leak into the surround channels on occassion. This is undoubtedly a very defective blu-ray, one that undoubtedly needs to be recalled. I for one have already returned the blu-ray and got a refund. Now if only more people were to do the same, preferably not buy it at all, then I am sure we can get 'BIG Home Video' to recall, re-author and re-issue this very prestigious title.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 pm 

anibap wrote:
The 3I screening was excellent when I saw it in Kolkata in terms of color, sharpness and contrast and if the same kind of quality is not reproduced in the BD then I will be really dissapointed.

Guys please let me know how is the picture quality.

In short, the video is quite dissapointing and although the audio is overall decent, there are issues with the audio too. Refer to the audio problems pointed out by by 'divyansh' and discussed in my previous post.

anibap wrote:
I have asked my wife to pick it up from India on her way back but I might borrow a copy from my friend in the meantime.

I would implore you, to not buy this blu-ray. Each additional sale, will only encourage BIG Home Video to further take their customers for granted in the future. In fact I would like to appeal to all who have already bought the blu-ray to take it back and demand a refund. I myself have already done so.

PS: I watched the whole movie yesterday, but have not yet found the time to write a detailed review. In fact, I watched it twice. The second time I watched it with the director's commentary.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
I would implore you, to not buy this blu-ray. Each copy that sells will only encourage BIG Home Video to further take their custoemrs for granted in the future. In fact I would like to appeal to all who have already bought the blu-ray to take it back and demand a refund. I myself have already done so.

I think that is a good idea. If everyone is willing to boycott the BD, BHV would get the message. And at the same time we should also write to BHV an email explaining our dissapointment and demand a new release.

I have just text my wife not to buy the BD. That makes 2 of us. Hope others to do the same...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:49 pm 

I was going to buy this blu-ray, but after looking at Sanjay's review I've decided that he is right and just want to take a stand by not throwing away my hard-earned money on this BD, unless a remastered version is released in the future for mass consumption!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:28 pm 

I am repeating the following below, just to make sure that no one has missed out on this bit of information:

The'3 Idiots' blu-ray has been manufactured by Moser Baer, but is not authored by them. I believe 'BIG Home Video' has set-up their own in house authoring center and thus this blu-ray is entirely their own work. 'Moser Baer' is in no way responsible for the screw-ups on this blu-ray. 'BIG Home Video' and 'BIG Home Video' alone, is responsible for this disaster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:33 pm 

Sanjay wrote:

'devansh' and discussed in my previous post.

its DIVYANSH .......!! :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:49 pm 

This Blu ray is coming very close to winning 'the worst BD of all times' title with the most shocking authoring/manufacturing issues. Btw, that makes me wonder, any idea which BD holds this title as of yet?

Opting not to have DEI author this is probably the worst decision BHV has taken in its history. I am not even close to being a fan of the film but I know very well that Nothing hurts a fan of the film more than his/her favourite film getting one of the the worst treatments on home video.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next