It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm 

Guys!! I donno if this is good news ..... (like master OOgway in Kung Fu panda says- There is just news. there is no good or bad! :lol: )

I just came to know yashraj has re-released some titles in their first batch of blu rays with special features on a seperate DVD instead of on the same blu ray. Now only if any one can confirm if they have re-authored any title for improvement, can this be termed as a good news. Anyone holding the new re-released BDs ?? (the packaging says 7/10 on the back cover and also states 'separate dvd disc for extras') I just confirmed bout VZ EXTRAS on a second disc is also stated in the YRF website.

I know this is hoping for too much, but i would love YRF if they re-did fanaa and VZ for black level issues (of extreme opposite kinds).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 pm 

Thats a doozey!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am 

Anurag1700 wrote:
I just came to know yashraj has re-released some titles in their first batch of blu rays with special features on a seperate DVD instead of on the same blu ray. Now only if any one can confirm if they have re-authored any title for improvement, can this be termed as a good news. Anyone holding the new re-released BDs ?? (the packaging says 7/10 on the back cover and also states 'separate dvd disc for extras') I just confirmed bout VZ EXTRAS on a second disc is also stated in the YRF website.

I know this is hoping for too much, but i would love YRF if they re-did fanaa and VZ for black level issues (of extreme opposite kinds).
A re-issue with extras on a separate disc only makes any sense if the movie itself has been re-encoded. Simply removing the extras from the BD and putting them on a separate DVD would bring no benefits, infact it would be rather stupid to do so. It would be nice to have someone who has seen the re-issued BDs, comment on the picture quality of Silsila & Veer Zaara, the two titles that were absolutely lost cases in their original BD release. Trust Indian video companies to not provide any information to their customers. I wonder if Yash Raj would respond to a query regarding this.

Post subject: BREAKING NEWS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 am 

Below is the confirmation response I received direct from Yashrajfilms official helpdesk. (Sorry sanjay but Clearly Silsila is not being re-released). My curiosity is now at the pinnacle for Fanaa and VZ. Any holders of re-releases please post SS/comments at the earliest please

"Dear Anurag,
Many thanks for your query.
Yes we have re authored the following titles.
1) Veer Zaara
2) Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
3) Fanaa
4) Dilwale Dulhaniya Le jayenge

Please note that these have been re authored again to give the optimum BRD quality to our esteemed customers and contains only the feature film.
All special features are given on a standard definition disc separately.
Thank you once again for being our loyal customer.

Regards
Victor"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:04 pm 

So will they exchange if we handover them the old version. Totally unfair :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 pm 

achchu wrote:
So will they exchange if we handover them the old version. Totally unfair :(

I would be TOTALLY impressed if they allow an exchange program like Hollywood did with some recent botches (Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator). YRF could be setting a real good example if they did that...

Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 pm 

Anurag1700 wrote:
Yes we have re authored the following titles.
1) Veer Zaara
2) Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
3) Fanaa
4) Dilwale Dulhaniya Le jayenge

Please note that these have been re authored again to give the optimum BRD quality to our esteemed customers and contains only the feature film.
All special features are given on a standard definition disc separately.
Thanks for the update. 'YRF Home Entertainment' certainly needs to be lauded for any attempts on their part to improve quality and to increase value for the customer. If we were to look at how things have progressed since 'YRF HE' first announced the release of their first batch of blu-rays, they have certainly come a long ways.

1. Based on our feedback, even before their first batch of catalog blu-rays was released, they included lossless (DTS HD-MA) audio in the blu-rays that were still under authoring/production. A few titles that had already been authored/manufactured excluded.
2. Although they intially resisted and they stuck to putting logo 'watermarks' on their blu-rays, they finally relented and stopped putting logo 'watermarks' on their blu-rays. But unfortunately this was only if one did not use the sub-titles feature and for those who rely on sub-titles, the logo 'watermarks' were still present.
3. Due to the continued and sustained protest by 'zulmis' against this, 'YRF HE' finally relented and completely gave up on including logo 'watermarks'.
4. Finally now on their own, 'YRF HE' has re-issed a few of the titles from their first released batch of catalog BDs. Hopefully they will do the same for a few other titles, namely 'Chak De! India', 'Silsila' and to a lesser extent 'Dhoom 2' & 'New York'.

Bottom line is, that 'YRF HE' has shown great maturity and professionalism in accepting and acting upon consumer feedback. For this, they deserve to be highly commended. There is one thing though, this goodwill that we feel for 'YRF Home Entertainment' as consumers will only be fully realized, if they offer some sort of exchange program. Even some plan that includes a reasonable cost attached to it would be better than no replacement plan at all.

The other thing that 'YRF Home Entertainment' must look at, is giving timely and accurate pre-release information of their blu-rays. Also the re-issue of these 'four' blu-ray titles should have been publicized. Even now, more information regarding the changes other than moving the extras off of the BD onto a separate DVD is missing and should be provided by 'YRF Home Entertainement'.

PS: I am sure the persistent and collective protest by 'zulmis' had atleast some influence on how things have progressed. For those of us who believed that we cannot make a difference, the lesson here is, that nothing will happen unless you try.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

after looking at the new back covers of these titles, i noticed DDLJ and Rab Ne Bana DI Jodi have DTS HD lossless audio now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 pm 

But unfortunately DDLJ is now missing it's original DD 2.0 track (Movie was theatrically released with 'Dolby SR' (Spectral) which is an analog 2.0 channel (matrixed Front Left/Right/Centre + Rear Surround = 4.0 channel) audio system. :(

All blu-rays must always include the original theatrical audio track.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am 

Well said Sanjay, I am absolutely +1 for applauding YRF for their efforts . However, I also suggest lets us not jump the gun here for aplauding YRF before actually witnessing what exactly it is that they have improved. As far as I know all of us have experienced that very few authoring houses understand the difference betwenen Tweaking for better and tweaking to make a horrible mess.

Sanjay wrote:
But unfortunately DDLJ is now missing it's original DD 2.0 track (Movie was theatrically released with 'Dolby SR' (Spectral) which is an analog 2.0 channel (matrixed Front Left/Right/Centre + Rear Surround = 4.0 channel) audio system. :(

I for one am Happy that they removed this useless track. Can you guess why? read the last post from me on the old 'YRF Blu ray information' Thread on 4/13/2010 in which I responded to yours and Stephen's comments on the 2.0 track, that on careful listening we ll realise that this track on Blu Ray is a fake stereo- Mono panned as stereo which in no way can replace the absolutely beautiful sounding DOLBY SR track that DDLJ originally had. The atrocity of this 2.0 track on BD actually made the 5.1 sound much much better which amof utilized the original 2.0 channel separation as well. At the minimum, if YRF could not transfer the original track on BD, the least they could do was to get rid of it in the re-release instead of pretending to have incuded the original mix. Hence I am happy if they have removed this fake track.

PS: If you really wanna listen to how really the original track should sound like, let me know, wil send you the copy of my Limited edition DDLJ Bootleg which is the only version yet having the originally encoded 2.0 mix with mindblowing stereo separation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am 

great news. DDLJ properly authored would be a treat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 am 

Wow! May be our children ,s children will be blessed lol:)

Post subject: Got 'em
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 am 

Yipeee!!

I just Got all the (3) re-authered BDs except RNBDJ from planet M Bangalore. They received one week back. On my way home. Will be posting comments very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:49 am 

Bad News Bad News Bad News !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the first glance, I cannot say about any other factor as I do not have the right equipment but one thing I can clearly see with my eyes-

There is NO Improvement in the black levels of Veer Zaara and Fanaa.

Guys I am extremely sad and almost destroyed internally at this point in time. So I dont have the energy to write anything more. WIll write soon as I recover from this shock of my life. Just felt it is my duty to warn anyone before they order anything before knowing something that they ought to know as a consumer.

PS: I apologise to everyone who pre-ordered the Blu rays because of the news posted by me and who think that this is my mistake. Believe me guys no one is shattered to the core more than me now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 pm 

to Anurag.
Did you really check that back print of those blu's?
According to BBR(from blu-ray.com), they informed changed the prints.

And also I've seen this mention from somebody,
"Picture quality is a bit sharper in our opinion and black levels look better."

If that is truth, it would be huge tragedy.