Region Coding: A/B/C
Media: Main Feature - 50GB BD
Running Time: 02:09:13 hrs
Chapters 28
Video:
2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 24Hz
Peak Bitrate ?Mbps | Average bitrate ?Mbps
Audio:
1/2 Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (48khz 640kbps) <-- Redundant & Space wasting :? :bangbang:
2/2 Hindi - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48khz Peak - ?mpbs) <-- Default Track
Subtitles: <-- 2.35:1 Screen Friendly (Positioned at the bottom of the picture area)
1/2 English
2/2 Arabic
Special Features:
NONE

Special Mention:
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise even with the subtitles on. <-- Thank you 'YRF Home Entertainment' for finally listening to our feedback. :thumbs:
No locking of any buttons during menus. Thereby allowing the viewer to skip to the next menu screen. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
Separate 'Song Menu' to allow direct selection of song. <-- This should be a no brainer for all Bollywood films.

Authoring issues:
1. Pop-up menus close only after 20 seconds of making a selection. This is very irritating and totally unnecesary.
2. No option to 'Play All' in the song menu. <-- It's time that bolywood blu-rays start employing BD-JAVA (BD+).

Review:
The good news is that 'YRF Home Entertainment', with their latest batch fo blu-rays, has finally done away with the obnoxious logo 'watermarks'. Yes, the logo 'watermark' is not there even with the subtitles on. It is a sign of a good company if they respect customer feedback and although 'YRF Home Entertainment' may have taken longer than they should have, they must still be commended for finally listening to their customers. Better late than never.

Movie: Other than a couple of catchy songs, primarily one song, I have never understood what there was to like in this movie. The acting is mostly atrocious, the characters & settings are unreal and the script is rather moronic. The music I suppose, even though not great, is the sole saviour. But then again compared to other hugely successful movies from bollywood, that are far worse and even more moronic and ridiculous than this movie, it's silly of me to even think about why this movie was so successfull.

Video: Personally, based on the screenshots posted online and also from the experience of the 'Dhoom 2' blu-ray, my expections from this blu-ray were rather low. From that point of view, I must say the BD is surprisingly decent, I couldn't bring myself to use the word 'good'. :) The picture quality is certainly better and with far less issues than the 'Dhoom 2' blu-ray. The 'Dhoom 2' blu-ray suffered majorly from crushed blacks and boosted contrast. Both these problems seem to be mostly absent on this blu-ray. Where the picture does suffer on this blu-ray, is in the colors and the use of DNR. As a result the picture looks slightly waxy and soft at most times. But I must mention, that compared to the absolutely waxy picture of the 'Dhoom 2' blu-ray, the picture on this BD is not anywhere as bad.

Audio: The audio on this BD is less than stellar and rather dissapointing if you take into account the genre and scale of the movie. Otherwise the sound is decent enough. The problems with the audio on the sound quality front are twofold. For one, the bass lacks punch and depth. The sub-woofer channel is again quite boomy. Also, the highs are a bit harsh, thus the overal result is that the audio sounds a bit tinny. I also found the sound stage mix rather poor, with the surround channels not being used as much as one would expect in a movie of this genre and scale.

Extras: The lack of extras on this blu-ray is a surprise. Considering that 'YRF Home Entertainment' have not only been the only bollywood video company to consistently provide extras on their blu-ray releases, they have actually also been quite good in this regard. They have not only been providing a good set of extra materials, but have also been putting them on a seperate DVD to maintain the quality of the main BD. Thus for them to release this totally barebones, is not only a let-down, but also not a good sign for future releases.

Recommended but only if you like the movie (BD rating 3.6/5.0 not taking into account the movie and extras).

My ratings:
Movie: 2.75 out of 5.0
Video: 3.5 out of 5.0
Audio: 3.75 out of 5.0
Extras: 0 out of 5.0
Misc.: 4.25 out of 5.0
Overall: 2.9 out of 5.0

Image Image Image Image
Screenshots courtesy 'DDR' via 'aatmaaraam'.
For some more screenshots --> Blu-ray Screenshot: Dhoom - 2010 (YRF)

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware Modified 'Region Free' with 'BDP83-50-0424' firmware)
PS3 (80GB US 'Region A' with firmware v3.50)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 pm 

great review, now im not worried about getting it. thx and when will you review for Jaane Tu Ya Jaane na be up? if you dont mind me asking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm 

I was on the fence. Now I can buy with confidence:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 am 

you are right about the audio.......the surround channels sounded dull and lifeless to me and it surely doesnt go with the genre salim sulaiman's powerfull score got a mediocre mix but i thought this problem maybe was only with the dvd but the bd is also the same....!!