It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:06 pm 

Rejoice, the PS3 is getting 1080p, 5.1 surround, and going disc free starting Oct. 18. Lets see how many films get this upgrade. Either way it is pretty good for PS3 owners.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... ove-ms.ars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:14 pm 

JayN wrote:
Rejoice, the PS3 is getting 1080p, 5.1 surround, and going disc free starting Oct. 18. Lets see how many films get this upgrade. Either way it is pretty good for PS3 owners.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... ove-ms.ars

saw that this morning.. :) way to go! Cant wait till 18Th lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:43 pm 

is netflix 5.1 for Windows Media Center? BTW, I love netflix. Only thing I dont like is that they have certain titles available for a limited time for streaming. Other than that, the convenience is just too good to not love.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:07 am 

Yuvan wrote:
is netflix 5.1 for Windows Media Center? BTW, I love netflix. Only thing I dont like is that they have certain titles available for a limited time for streaming. Other than that, the convenience is just too good to not love.

The article only mentions the PS3 and XBOX, but I would think that this will be PS3 exclusive for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:21 pm 

If I remember correctly Microsoft was working with SRS to bring 5.1ch surround into Silverlight. If that has been done then probably windows media center will already be supporting it 5.1ch sound for netflix streaming.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:22 pm 

:bangbang: I am so mad. The Netflix founder Reed Hastings is one of the board of directors of Microsoft Corp. and PS3 gets 1080p and 5.1 DD plus first. I am missing something here. :bangbang: :baaa:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:04 pm 

kailashu wrote:
:bangbang: I am so mad. The Netflix founder Reed Hastings is one of the board of directors of Microsoft Corp. and PS3 gets 1080p and 5.1 DD plus first. I am missing something here. :bangbang: :baaa:

the org structure at MS obviously sucks. they release great products but they dont collaborate within themselves. Their "Live" suite don't communicate well with each other. They have better Windows Live Messenger/Hotmail etc app for iPhone than Windows Mobile. They have a better Facebook app for iPhone than Windows Mobile and they own a significant share of Facebook, last I read. Win Phone 7 has Netflix & Flixter streaming!

Anyway, Windows Media Center is awesome. I wish there was a plugin that would aggregate meta data for music videos, like xbmc. Other than that, it's awesome especially with Netflix. No more discs!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:27 pm 

Good news.. Another post stated like above said that the Playstation 3 gets the 5.1 audio / 1080 audio first after which the blu-ray players which have the Netflix streaming app will be updated to support the Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio which Netflix is going to be using for streaming.

The only issue for BD Players will depend on how old your BD Player is, and if the company (Samsung, Sony, and etc) will offer you the update or force you to buy a new BD-Player. (I have a feeling my Samsung BDP-1600 won't be getting this update in the coming months).

Glad I own Sony BD player (three months old) as I am sure Sony already has the Netflix app ready just a matter time before one can download it. (I also own the xbox 360).

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industr ... by-digital