It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 pm 

Thanks for the Reply. No issues. And more so because I can find my posts here, still....undeleted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm 

hi,saw the movie today.
Picture is decent for its kind of a movie.
all the dvd special features are included on the disc & the menus come & go promptly.
But i'm not too happy with the audio,as i compared it with my dvd(for songs),& the audio on BD was not as punchier as the dvd,with somewhat less bass.
do let us all know if anyone had also noticed the same.
I expected a lot from this uncompressed track,esp the fine songs :?:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm 

I have not had much time to watch this yet, but I did check out the audio/video briefly the day I got the disc. Quite honestly I was rather dissapointed by both audio and video of this blu-ray. I had been avoiding commenting, so as to avoid opinions being formed before I had a chance to check out the blu-ray more thoroughly. I remember the DVD having a fantastic DTS 5.1 755kbps audio track, the DD 5.1 448 kbps audio track was also very good. Strangely enough, there was absolutely no mention of the DTS track anywhere on the cover or in any promotional material. The audio definately seemed to be less than impressive on this BD. Ofcourse I shall wait till I get a chance to do an A/B comparison of the DVD/BD, before giving my final opinion. Regarding the video, the first thing that stood out right away, is that the framing is not correct on the BD. Also, the colors seemed to be quite inconsistent and with the same problems that I remember the DVD having. In any case your (pkhammu2005) post has inspired me to dig out my DVD copy of this movie and hopefully I shall get back with a full review by tomorrow.

PS: Personally I had high hopes from this blu-ray, not only because the DVD of this was one of the better quality ones and the audio specially was quite outstanding. But also because this being an Aamir Khan production, I had hoped that T-Series would have paid more attention to the quality of this BD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:49 pm 

thanks,sanjay,u too share the same thoughts on audio.
That brings me to a question lingering in my mind for quite some time-"whether the loss less tracks on indian BD's is really lossy?"
I wonder how come the audio on the dvd is much more dynamic than the BD,recent eg being this movie,& also i felt strongly the same about Gajhini too.
I feel that bollywood home video co's are only concentrating on the video part & compromising on the audio(as it is intangible).
And as a norm these ppl seem to be mentioning the Lossless label on the covers as a formality.(Jodha akbar DD track sounds a lot more punchier than the DTS-HD track)??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:09 pm 

pkhammu2005 wrote:
thanks,sanjay,u too share the same thoughts on audio.
That brings me to a question lingering in my mind for quite some time-"whether the loss less tracks on indian BD's is really lossy?"
I wonder how come the audio on the dvd is much more dynamic than the BD,recent eg being this movie,& also i felt strongly the same about Gajhini too.
I feel that bollywood home video co's are only concentrating on the video part & compromising on the audio(as it is intangible).
And as a norm these ppl seem to be mentioning the Lossless label on the covers as a formality.(Jodha akbar DD track sounds a lot more punchier than the DTS-HD track)??

I wouldn't put it past the Indian video companies to simply take a DD track and re-encode it as a DTS HD-MA track and pass it off as a lossless track. The 'DTS HD-MA' track on a lot of Indian blu-rays sound suspiciously like this. There is another possibility though. Which is that the 'DTS HD-MA' tracks are encoded as is, whereas the DD tracks are doctored to be louder and more forcefull. I know for a fact that atleast 'one' Indian video company insists that the authorer doctor the DD track, to be atleast as loud and as forcefull as the lossless track. Unfortunately people with very little, if any, technical knowledge or exposure to good audio/video are the one's making decisions for these Indian video companies. What is worse is that, their decisions are solely based on a very narrow view of cost cutting and profit. Basically, I would not put it past most Indian video companies to do anything that they think will save them a few bucks.

As far as 'Jodhaa Akbar' is concerned, you have to hear the DTS HD-MA track on the Bodega BD, to realize how fantastic a lossless track can actually sound. The Bodega 'Jodhaa Akbar', till date, has by far the the best audio amongst all bollywood movie blu-rays.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 am 

Some more screens

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Screen shots Courtesy: Team IcTv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26 am 

Sanjay wrote:
As far as 'Jodhaa Akbar' is concerned, you have to hear the DTS HD-MA track on the Bodega BD, to realize how fantastic a lossless track can actually sound. The Bodega 'Jodhaa Akbar', till date, has by far the the best audio amongst all bollywood movie blu-rays.

jodha akbar definitely wasn'nt the best bollywood mix and which hardly used the surrounds when they were needed.......espacially if you look at that grand song azeem-o-shan there were so many sounds and instruments playing that colould have made a greater impact if mixed properly and surrounds used.......anywayz the only place where surrounds were correctly used were in lamhon ke daaman mein song........to which my brother watching the movie besides me joked ("galtee se button dabb gayaa hogaa") which means that thye didnt intended it to be in surrounds it was by mistake .....maybe because surrounds were hardly used in the film and then suddenly sound comes from them ......maybe this made him think that........overall ill rate the mix a 3.5/5............

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:57 am 

divyansh wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
jodha akbar definitely wasn'nt the best bollywood mix and which hardly used the surrounds when they were needed...
My statement refers to the 'quality' of the audio and how great it sounds, not the surround mix. I totally agree with you that the surround mix of 'Jodhaa Akbar' could have been far better.