It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:59 am 

dr_vasanth wrote:
A lot of this information on receivers is news to me! I have a Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver. As you guys (Sanjay, Kailashu) know what you are talking about, I do have a 'basic' question for you. When I turn the volume knob to the right, I notice that the volume in dB is usually in the negative (-15 dB being louder than -20dB). I have almost never had to go upto the positive numbers. What does the 0 dB value signify? Just curious..
A explanation or understanding of this is slightly complex, therefore I would recommend reading the following --> Understanding the “0 dB” Setting on Your AV Receiver Volume Control Display
In short, the following is a quote from the same article:
Quote:
Think of “0 dB” on your AV receiver’s volume display as a kind of “maximum loudness” setting beyond which you may drive the amplifier into audible distortion or “clipping.”

Last edited by Sanjay on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 am 

The discussion in this thread is getting way off topic, so can we please leave this thread to the discussion of the 'De Dana Dan' blu-ray.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am 

Sanjay wrote:
divyansh wrote:
dude it took almost 2-3 months of my study on which to buy where to buy, how to buy...its very diffficult to get these stuffs in india.......took advice from doono how many people and finally we got these......and iam truly very very happy with my new setup......!!!
As nice as the B&W CM9 are, they are not particularly very efficient speakers and the Denon AVR3311 is certainly not capable of driving the CM9 to produce the kind of clean and high 'spls' you are looking for. The AVR 4311 is the lowest Denon receiver that I would consider to drive the CM9. I am sorry to say but unfortunately you have been rather poorly guided in your purchase choices. The problem is not as much with the individual product choices, but rather the fact that they don't compliment each other well. Always remember the old adage, that all links in a chain must match each other and that the chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain. The same also applies to a home theater setup, as it does with most spheres of life. Thus, it is very important to have speakers that tonally match each other and this is specially and critically important atleast for the three front speakers. Matching of amplifier and the speakers is also very important, since all speakers perform differently with different amps. Having two JBL l8400p sub-woofers in your setup are also an impediment to a balanced sound in your current setup. Although that does make it quite clear why you seem to have a preference for overly loud soundtracks. Also, the SMX ProMask-Curv is not a very good match for the projector you have. Curved screens are meant to be used with anamorphic lenses and actually are not good otherwise. You would have been well advised to have gone with a flat screen.

Ofcourse in the end, as mentioned by 'kailashu', what really matters is that you are satisfied and my only reason for pointing out all this is to make you more aware, atleast for the future.
divyansh wrote:
the amount spend in all this went very very high about 9-10 lakhs i thnk so right now no additions sometime l8er ill think of getting them......

Where did you buy your home theater setup from? 9-10 lakhs seems quite high for the equipment you have listed, even if bought from India. For that kind of money you can actually put together quite a system even in India. Also, except for the SMX screens, the availability of which I am not aware of, all the other brands you have listed are relatively commonly available in India, ie. atleast in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore etc.

sanjay this is the total price we invested and it includes the building up of the room with various insulators and those recliner chairs....!!!

and as far as setup is concerned its not imbalanced at all......its just abt perfect......!!!!

and yes the pro-curv i feel is a mistake and ill also upgrade the reciever and screen since my cousin now wants a theatre in abt 1 lakh budget i think heel be happy with this reciever....and i baught it before the speakers on someone's recomendation......i think ill get an upgrade to make all this even better....!!

and i agree all this is off topix.so we shall stick to this topik now..!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:30 am 

azion wrote:
dr_vasanth wrote:
A lot of this information on receivers is news to me! I have a Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver. As you guys (Sanjay, Kailashu) know what you are talking about, I do have a 'basic' question for you. When I turn the volume knob to the right, I notice that the volume in dB is usually in the negative (-15 dB being louder than -20dB). I have almost never had to go upto the positive numbers. What does the 0 dB value signify? Just curious..

wow...
Yes, at the end of the day it is all about whether you the owner is satisfied with the HT set up. I am glad you're loving it. Enjoy:)

EDIT: Not sure why would you have to go to US to demo the B&Ws when you have authorized dealers in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore.

well though its off topic i had to go to usa for some personal reasons......(to visit some releatives like every year.....) and so i took them from there.....!!