It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:24 am 

Bodega, contrast gives richness to look of video, JA Audi by Bodega was phenomenal indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 am 

T|M wrote:
^ I agree, there is a difference between the Bodega DTS-HD and this one. But it definitely doesn't sound bad either. Definitely not the way you feel as if it was done from a lossy re-encode. I guess its just the encoder (Surcode, DTS Premium, etc) and the audio engineer that makes a lot of difference, if the source used was the same one.

You are right. There is not much quality difference in PQ of both the releases( Bodega with slightly more contrast) . But there is difference in AQ. Perhaps Bodega was provided with 6.1 audio and BHV provided 5.1 to their authoring company.I have been to the site of DTS.com and found that there is not much you can change while encoding for DTS HD Master Audio. In BHV release , the audio is at highest bit rate allowed for DTS HD Master format.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:17 am 

Can someone in this thread very clearly describe the English-subtitled Blu Ray (the Big Home video one). What exactly is not scope friendly? If you play this blu ray on your HDTV, what exactly do you see when the English subtitles pop on the screen? Do they get cut off? Do you have to shift the widescreen image around so that the subtitles fit? This is only the most highly-anticipated Bollywood film released on Blu Ray due to the crummiest DVD release ever. I would convert to Blu Ray if someone does a decent review of the English-subtitled Blu ray. Any help and clarifying?

Furthermore, did Big Home Video do an English-subtitled DVD also? Is it anamorphic? Do the English subtitles fit? Can I play the dvd normally on an HDTV with English subtitles?

Can someone please post a link where a non-hindi speaking person can buy the English subtitled Blu Ray or DVD (the Big Home Video one)? Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 am 

toddly6666 wrote:
Furthermore, did Big Home Video do an English-subtitled DVD also? Is it anamorphic? Do the English subtitles fit? Can I play the dvd normally on an HDTV with English subtitles?

Yes, 'Big Home Video' did release a English sub-titled DVD, but it is absolutely horrible quality. It is not even anamorphic and the sound is also not very good.
The Bodega Blu-ray is the only good release there is of this film, unfortunately that only has French sub-titles in addition to be ing 'Region B' only.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:47 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
toddly6666 wrote:

Yes, 'Big Home Video' did release a English sub-titled DVD, but it is absolutely horrible quality. It is not even anamorphic and the sound is also not very good.
The Bodega Blu-ray is the only good release there is of this film, unfortunately that only has French sub-titles in addition to be ing 'Region B' only.

I thought the best English-subtitled version of this film is the Big Home Video Blu ray though???? I mean, which is worse:
1. a non-anamorphic letterboxed English-subtitled UTV DVD version?
2. a Big Home Video Blu Ray with non-scope friendly English subtitles?

What does one have to do to watch the Big Home Video blu ray with English subtitles? Squeeze the video to raise the English subs? Move the Widescreeen image up to the top of the screen (not sure if one can even do that with a blu ray player)? Make the video small so that it's letterboxed again in order to fit the subs?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:20 pm 

toddly6666 wrote:
Can someone in this thread very clearly describe the English-subtitled Blu Ray (the Big Home video one). What exactly is not scope friendly?

Check out these articles about CIH (Constant Image Height) home theater setup and "scope friendly" subititle placement.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/2798
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/2993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:45 pm 

What's the problem of watching a non-scope friendly English subtitled 2:35.1 DVD or Blu Ray on a HDTV that's 1:85.1 (if the HDTV is shaped at 2:35.1 then I understand the problem, but most HDTVs that people have are shaped at 1:85.1)? Won't the English subtitles just be floating in the bottom horizontal black bar of the Jodhaa Akbar Big Home Video Blu Ray?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 pm 

You are correct, toddly6666. Its only a problem if you have CIH setup or an HDTV with a screen of 2.35:1 ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 pm 

the problem is lack of consumer choice. yes, most sets are 16:9 ratio, but a lot of people have CIH setups, and they are screwed. Also new TV sets are being introduced with a wider aspect ratio...Those 2 articles above explain everything.

I for one am in the process of building a CIH projection system in my garage. Improper placement of subtitles will render my setup useless for these kinds of discs!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:46 pm 

So, the best English-subtitled version of Jodha Akbar IS the BIG HOME VIDEO Blu Ray! (if you have a 1:85.1 HDTV screen).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:14 am 

Has anyone seen the German version of Jodhaa Akbar. Was the French transfer used for the German realease?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:09 am 

is there need for another thread on Jodha Akbar? :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:09 am 

desifreak wrote:
What is the price of this Blu-Ray in India?

Rs. 899

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm 

Apparently the UTV BD is out:

http://www.indiaweekly.com/datacart/pro ... ctId=11794

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:04 pm 

Yuvan wrote:
the problem is lack of consumer choice. yes, most sets are 16:9 ratio, but a lot of people have CIH setups, and they are screwed. Also new TV sets are being introduced with a wider aspect ratio...Those 2 articles above explain everything.

I for one am in the process of building a CIH projection system in my garage. Improper placement of subtitles will render my setup useless for these kinds of discs!

So buy an Oppo Blu-ray player. It allows you to manually move any non-burned in Blu-ray subtitles up or down.