It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 am 

well first couple of verdicts are out on bluray.com

Dhoom 2: oversaturated..
RNBDJ: Great transfer..
DDLJ: pretty good for a movie of its time..film grain remains..
Fanaa: skipping..
Veer Zaara: dull,washed out..contrast problems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 am 

We need proper stills. Everything else is meaningless.
That Jodi looks good is to be expected. All BDs from DI data have to unless incompetent people
were at work. Dostana should look great too. And Chak etc.. The older films are the big question mark. Well restored with a new transfer or not?? And the ones where the DI data was tossed and the internegative scanned again (Dhoom 2). These can go either way too (bad or quite good).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:31 pm 

mhafner wrote:
We need proper stills. Everything else is meaningless.
That Jodi looks good is to be expected. All BDs from DI data have to unless incompetent people
were at work. Dostana should look great too. And Chak etc.. The older films are the big question mark. Well restored with a new transfer or not?? And the ones where the DI data was tossed and the internegative scanned again (Dhoom 2). These can go either way too (bad or quite good).

What about sound effects.Blue ray is also about sound.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:03 am 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 92&page=22
I'm underwhelmed. Dulhan looks like upscaled SD. The rest has various issues too. Only Jodi looks more or less as it should. We need accurate stills. I don't trust the stills there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 am 

So far what I have seen fron the posted screenshots and the video shot by someone's hd camera, these Yash Raj BDs look more like improved versions of their DVDs rather than Blu-Ray hi-def. In fact some look absolutely crap and worse than a decent Hollywood DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 am 

Sanjay wrote:
So far what I have seen fron the posted screenshots and the video shot by someone's hd camera, these Yash Raj BDs look more like improved versions of their DVDs rather than Blu-Ray hi-def. In fact some look absolutely crap and worse than a decent Hollywood DVD.

Have you seen any of YRF titles released recently?
I miss your honest reviews
chandna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 pm 

schandna wrote:
Sanjay wrote:

chandna

I have not had a chance to view any of the Yash Raj BD releases yet and my comments above are solely based on the screenshots & video posted online by others. I am aware that the posted screenshots and video may not truelly be reflective of the actual quality of the BDs, therefore I will reserve my final opinion till I personally view the actual BDs. Yash Raj video distributor here in Gurgaon has yet to receive the BDs and none of the big retail stores, i.e. Planet M etc., here in Gurgaon have the BDs yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 pm 

I purchased 5 of the YRF Blu-rays and here's my impressions:

Fanaa
The video has a major brightness/contrast level problem. The entire film is far too dark leaving blacks crushed and colours oversaturated. In another screw-up, YRF have not used the final cut of the film, but the working print instead with the deleted 'Mere Haath Mein' song starring a fat Aamir Khan! Detail is good. Audio is fine. The disc needs to be recalled and the problems corrected.

Veer-Zaara
For the first half the film, the image has contrast/brightness problems - blacks are never black, but varying shades of pale grey and washed out colours. The second half is free of this issue. As with Fanaa, this is not the final cut of the film, but a working print that includes the 'Yeh Hum Aa Gaye Hain Kahan' song. Detail is poor. Audio is fine. The disc needs to be recalled.

Chak De India
No colour/contrast problems I could detect on this disc. However, the whole video suffers from severe aliasing jaggies. Detail and audio are fine. The disc needs to be recalled.

Dhoom 2
The image suffers from the same low brightness/oversaturation problem as Fanaa, but to a slightly lesser extent. Detail and audio are excellent. Acceptable overall, but far from perfect.

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
Thankfully, DDLJ is by far the best of the lot. Colours are superb, detail is pleasing, grain is intact. An admirable restoration job. But varying contrast issues are still present for the first hour - similar to Veer-Zaara, but far less noticable. Audio is excellent. However, for the songs, the original soundrack has been replaced by the clearer audio from the CD. This is done seemlessly for the most part, except the first two songs have been encoded at a higher volume than the rest. A minor distraction.

Overall thoughts: Yash Raj Films are still utter amateurs!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm 

So the DDLJ stills here are not representative? No HD detail on these at all...
And it started so promising with "New York"... :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 am 

@Stephen

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi looks good. Will post my opinion later but here is a still from the disc.

@mhafner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:05 am 

Sanjay wrote:
schandna wrote:
Sanjay wrote:

chandna

I have not had a chance to view any of the Yash Raj BD releases yet and my comments above are solely based on the screenshots & video posted online by others. I am aware that the posted screenshots and video may not truelly be reflective of the actual quality of the BDs, therefore I will reserve my final opinion till I personally view the actual BDs. Yash Raj video distributor here in Gurgaon has yet to receive the BDs and none of the big retail stores, i.e. Planet M etc., here in Gurgaon have the BDs yet.

This is always how you post.not from your experience but by peeking at other people's version.Would be nice if you look before you leap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 am 

Stephen wrote:
I purchased 5 of the YRF Blu-rays and here's my impressions:

Fanaa
The video has a major brightness/contrast level problem. The entire film is far too dark leaving blacks crushed and colours oversaturated. In another screw-up, YRF have not used the final cut of the film, but the working print instead with the deleted 'Mere Haath Mein' song starring a fat Aamir Khan!

starring a fat Aamir Khan! -I love the way you say this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:51 am 

sasural wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
schandna wrote:
Sanjay wrote:

chandna

This is always how you post.not from your experience but by peeking at other people's version.Would be nice if you look before you leap.

Excuse me! Do you have a personal problem? I hope not, but in case you do, I suggest you take it elsewhere. For I am certainly not going to get into a mud slinging contest.

Regarding my views of the quality of the 'Yash Raj' BDs, I have stated quite clearly and at the very outset, that my opinion is based solely on the the screenshots and video posted online. In fact, I have also quite clearly mentioned that these screenshots and video may not trully represent the actual quality of the BDs. Thus I fail to understand what is your personal problem with this or is there some other agenda here? Why are you taking this so personally anyhow?

As for your inference/reference to how I "always post", not that it is any of your business, let me state for the record that other than the last bunch of crappy Eros BD releases and these Yash Raj titles, since they are not yet available here, I own every single Hindi movie BD released so far, and these include titles released by non Indian video distributors, i.e. Sony, Bodega & Criterion. Yes, that includes both BD releases of 'Jodhaa Akbar'.

PS: Could we please maintain some civility here and not attack each other personally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:27 am 

T|M wrote:
@Stephen

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi looks good. Will post my opinion later but here is a still from the disc.

This screenshot looks really promising. Now if only the rest of the BD can hold up to this promise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 am 

Kabhi Kabhie BD - Good restoration effort from YRF! I am happy!

=================================================================================

Dhoom:2 BD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next