It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 am 

what would be a good/acceptable price you guys will be willing to pay to yrf to buy one?

Some one said one was skipping already! :shock: coasters galore!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 am 

Dostana BD

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am 

T|M wrote:
@Stephen

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi looks good. Will post my opinion later but here is a still from the disc.

@mhafner

That's better.

So far it seems these are good (enough) and worth buying:
Rab Ne Bana
Dilwale
Dostana
Dhoom 2
Khabi

Contrast/black level issues (how bad?):
Silsila
Bachna

and these are not (severe issues):
Veer Zara (black level)
Faana (contrast)
Chak De (aliasing)

And this is the official Zulm verdict. :D
Comments, corrections?

Last edited by mhafner on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:52 pm 

^ Silsila BD

Image Image Image Image Image

Bachna Ae Haseeno BD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm 

Who owns the rights to Dharmendra's "Blackmail"? I want to see that on blu! no watermarks....ffs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:06 pm 

YRF should change their name to Yeros.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:06 pm 

mhafner wrote:
So far it seems these are good (enough) and worth buying:
Rab Ne Bana
Dilwale
Dostana
Dhoom 2
Khabi
Silsila
Bachna

and these are not (severe issues):
Veer Zara (black level)
Faana (contrast)
Chak De (aliasing)

And this the official Zulm verdict. :D
Comments, corrections?

Judging by the screenshots, Silsila also has incorrect brightness levels and KK has crushed blacks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 pm 

Stephen wrote:
Judging by the screenshots, Silsila also has incorrect brightness levels and KK has crushed blacks.

Possibly. The tendency is clearly that way. The question is, is it watchable (after some adjusting of the
display) or clearly beyond salvaging. Both are likely coming from DPX files that were not properly mapped
to 8 bit HD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 am 

^ definitely watchable. Its miles ahead of the DVD I have.

Veer-Zaara BD

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 am 

Fanaa BD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am 

Anyone have any idea about the release of Darr and Lamhe on Bluray?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:55 pm 

Stephen wrote:
I purchased 5 of the YRF Blu-rays and here's my impressions:

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
Thankfully, DDLJ is by far the best of the lot. Colours are superb, detail is pleasing, grain is intact. An admirable restoration job. But varying contrast issues are still present for the first hour - similar to Veer-Zaara, but far less noticable. Audio is excellent. However, for the songs, the original soundrack has been replaced by the clearer audio from the CD. This is done seemlessly for the most part, except the first two songs have been encoded at a higher volume than the rest. A minor distraction.

Stephen, I would like to know some detail on the 'seamlessly done' part that u are referring above. As far as I know, DDLJ Movie and CD are both originally 2 channel sountracks. But both differ majorly in terms of channel separation. To give an example, At the begining of mehendi laga Ke rakhna, On CD There is no channel separation between Male Chorus and Female chorus while on the 2 channel DVD (Limited Edition Bootleg) its very cleary audible as Men sounding from Left(saying 'Ye Kudiyan Nashe Diyan Kudiyan'... or whatever it is if i am wrongly spelling it) and Women sounding from Right channel. Can you or anyone please tell me if such factors are taken care in this 'seamless job' ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:03 pm 

The audio CD is a stereo - two channel mix. Whereas the original movie was presented in Dolby Stereo - Spectral, which means it was a 4 channel mix (Front Left, Front Center, Front Right & Surround) matrixed into 2 channels. The two mixes are done totally independent of each other and thus have nothing to do with each other. The BD on the other hand is a DTS/DD 5.1 presentation, which has obviously been remixed from the original audio stems either for this BD release or for a previous DVD release. It is also possible that they may have simply taken the original 'Dolby Stereo - Spectral' 4 channel mix and re-encoded it in DTS/DD 5.1. I seriously doubt it, that they have used the sound mix from the audio cd, which is only 2 channels, for this BD.

Having listened to the BD again, I am quite sure that Yash Raj has simply taken the original Dolby Stereo (matrixed surround 4 channel mix) track and simply re-encoded it to DTS & DD 5.1

Last edited by Sanjay on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:17 am 

Sanjay wrote:
I seriously doubt it, that they have used the sound mix from the audio cd, which is only 2 channels, for this BD.

Thanks a lot brother for that info. 'Dolby Spectral' is new learning for me. Stephen, if you are reading this, can u reconfirm ur statement if the audio for songs is really taken from audio cd? I am a big fan of the original dolby spectral track on the film and this clarification would really affect my decision of buying the BD. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:31 pm 

Anurag1700 wrote:
Stephen, if you are reading this, can u reconfirm ur statement if the audio for songs is really taken from audio cd? I am a big fan of the original dolby spectral track on the film and this clarification would really affect my decision of buying the BD. Thanks

Anurag, you may rest assured that the BD contains the same original Dolby Stereo audio track that the pirated DVD did. Yes, the Male chorus audio is encoded in the left channel and the Female chorus is in right channel in the 'Mehndi Lagake Rakhna' song. Although, personally I don't understand the logic of why it is encoded that way considering that the sounds should move to where ever the characters move and not be stationary as it is in this very ordinary sound mix. For such a prestigious release 'Yash Raj' should have gone back to the original losslesss audio stems and remixed the whole soundtrack and then re-encoded it to DTS-HD MA 5.1 I suppose it will come a few years later so that Yash Raj can milk us again for this title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next