It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 am 

News going around the BD will be released around Eid. hope fully this year.

http://www.bollywooddvds.com/search.aspx?iCode=&strCat=Brand&strKey=Yash+Raj+Films+Blu-Ray+Disc
http://www.bollyman.co.uk/index.php/New-Releases/New-York-Blu-Ray/flypage-ask.tpl.html

Bollyman says they have the disc in stock.

Speculation.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... B002PLVQ8W

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:11 pm 

Screenshots nicked from the Blu-ray.com forum...

Looks jolly good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 am 

I was looking at those earlier @ 40 GB this does show reasonable detail pertaining to 1080P source :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:34 am 

How is the audio?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:55 pm 

^ DTS @ 1536, DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 am 

I watched it and here's my verdict.

The good
- Image quality: Nice. By the looks of it from the DI. Images have throughout a very smooth look. Minimal grain. Too smooth one could argue. No doubt the DI was (at least partially) DNRed. DNR artifacts are minor, though. High bit rate compression, 1080p detail at times. Better than OSO, not quite as good as Saawariya. Original photography is mostly good. Some out of focus shots as usual.
- Sound: Only listened to DTS track which was good. The lack of lossless is a pity, but the DTS is quite close.

The quality is overall very nice and if that is the level Yash Raj will provide I'm in for many of their releases.

The bad
- No subtitles for the supplements. Leaves non Hindi folks in the dark at times.
- Supplements only in SD (but better this than HD supplements affecting main picture quality)
- Supplements play on after selected item is over (menu design bug?)
- Yash Raj logo at start of songs. It's only some seconds but still. Logos don't belong on BDs the same way they are not on any 35mm prints. Logos are an annoyance and intrusive and have no place on a quality product. Yash Raj, please stop putting logos on your BDs. They don't stop pirates and annoy your BD customers. It's a relict from DVD times which belongs in the garbage can.

The film itself was better than expected.
Now can we have K3G in this quality, please, and other classics? The real test are older non DI films and how they are scanned and processed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:57 pm 

mhafner wrote:
Yash Raj logo at start of songs. It's only some seconds but still. Logos don't belong on BDs the same way they are not on any 35mm prints. Logos are an annoyance and intrusive and have no place on a quality product. Yash Raj, please stop putting logos on your BDs. They don't stop pirates and annoy your BD customers. It's a relict from DVD times which belongs in the garbage can.

I am not sure what is it that I am shocked by more, the fact that Yash Raj have actually continued with their crappy policy of putting logos on even BDs, or that not a single mention of this atrocity has been made so far by anyone. Even Eros had better sense to do away with this inanity on their BDs, but then again, was it not 'Yash Raj' that first started this obnoxious practice of putting their logo on their DVDs? So I suppose it is not too surprising that they have continued with this on their BDs. But why has no one so far found this important enough to mention, let alone criticize? Guys if we don't speak up enough now and nip such things in the bud, then we better be prepared for the same crappy issues that we have had with Bollywood DVDs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:12 pm 

Hopefully, the next 10 YRF releases will be of the same quality as New York BD.

We will all find out shortly!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:34 pm 

Yash Raj (or any company) are not allowed to place a watermark logo - unless they have sought permission from blu-ray patent holders.
I remember speaking to Sony about this and they stated that "retailed" versions of any disc released on blu-ray cannot have any watermarked logo on the transcoded file as it infringes on various patents registered. Somebody should warn Yash Raj about this.

Discs excluded from the watermark rules are screeners, "non-for-profit" discs, and rental copies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:39 pm 

ksingh wrote:
Hopefully, the next 10 YRF releases will be of the same quality as New York BD.

We will all find out shortly!

Does that wish include their watermark logo too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:46 pm 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
Yash Raj (or any company) are not allowed to place a watermark logo - unless they have sought permission from blu-ray patent holders.
I remember speaking to Sony about this and they stated that "retailed" versions of any disc released on blu-ray cannot have any watermarked logo on the transcoded file as it infringes on various patents registered. Somebody should warn Yash Raj about this.

Discs excluded from the watermark rules are screeners, "non-for-profit" discs, and rental copies.

@ Sunny
Can we not complain to Sony/BDA about Yash Raj placing watermarks of their logo on retail Blu-ray titles released by them? I am sure if this is infringing upon the BDA patents and rules, they would be interested in bringing a stop to this nonsense from Yash Raj. I would love to see Yash Raj and their likes actually being penalized or sued for infringing upon the BDA patents/rules. Hmm.. I now wonder, is it because of the BDA patents/rules that Eros did not inlude their logo on their BDs, rather than some new found professionalism and concern for the consumer's rights.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 pm 

mhafner wrote:
The bad
- Yash Raj logo at start of songs. It's only some seconds but still.

Are the logos burned into the actual image or are they on a separate stream, like the subtitles?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 am 

Stephen wrote:
mhafner wrote:
The bad
- Yash Raj logo at start of songs. It's only some seconds but still.

Are the logos burned into the actual image or are they on a separate stream, like the subtitles?

Don't know. What is an easy way to find out?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 pm 

mhafner wrote:
Don't know. What is an easy way to find out?

After the logo appears, press rewind. If the logo doesn't show, it's on a separate stream. If it does, it's burned into the image.