It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:25 pm 

faddy wrote:
WTF - there is no hope in this world if someone starts throwing a fit over what a disc should and shouldnt be called.. you need to get out a bit more yaar..

True there is really no hope in this world, if reasonably intelligent and educated people cannot grasp the simple concept of calling a spade, a spade. Yeah I can see how communication would become so much better in this world, if we all started using any term we want, to refer to anything we want. Also, I wonder who is actually throwing a fit here.

PS: Can we please avoid making the personal remarks.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:06 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
faddy wrote:
WTF - there is no hope in this world if someone starts throwing a fit over what a disc should and shouldnt be called.. you need to get out a bit more yaar..

True there is really no hope in this world, if reasonably intelligent and educated people cannot grasp the simple concept of calling a spade, a spade. Yeah I can see how communication would become so much better in this world, if we all started using any term we want, to refer to anything we want. Also, I wonder who is actually throwing a fit here.

PS: Can we please avoid making the personal remarks.

I have to agree with Faddy - you started it yaara. Perhaps you should also check what you post as it was obvious that your intention was to insult. There are other ways of getting a message across.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:12 pm 

In the entire time that I have been a member here, I have never, ever, insulted or attacked anyone personally. I am sure there are enough members here who can vouch for that. Even then, although I mean't no insult to anyone, if my comments did came accross as insulting to some, I apologise for the same. But having said that, I still stand by my belief, that we ought to be able to differentiate between Blu-Ray discs, DVD discs, VCD discs, Video cassettes, etc. and to use the correct terminology to refer to them. There have actually been occassions when, I atleast, have found it confusing as to whether a poster was referring to the Blu-Ray or the DVD release of Saawariya.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 pm 

Back to the regular programming. Has anyone else noticed the Citibank commercials presented under previews? I think we ought to let our displeasure known to Sony, less it becomes a habit with them. We dont want to end up with the stupid forced commercials on all future Blu-Ray releases, like most Indian DVDs force upon us. Whats next, company logos and ringtone ticker ads during songs. Another thing that we should communicate to Sony is that they need to chapter mark all songs. Also, they need to provide a song menu and an option to select Play All Songs.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:57 am 

Sanjay wrote:
Back to the regular programming. Has anyone else noticed the Citibank commercials presented under previews? I think we ought to let our displeasure known to Sony, less it becomes a habit with them. We dont want to end up with the stupid forced commercials on all future Blu-Ray releases, like most Indian DVDs force upon us. Whats next, company logos and ringtone ticker ads during songs. Another thing that we should communicate to Sony is that they need to chapter mark all songs. Also, they need to provide a song menu and an option to select Play All Songs.

Partly which was my point - there is no songs menu on the DVD and BD.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 am 

Muz wrote:

Apparently they have not learned from Lagaan or Mission Kashmir, which also lacked song menus.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:06 am 

DragunR2 wrote:
Muz wrote:

Apparently they have not learned from Lagaan or Mission Kashmir, which also lacked song menus.

or at least chapter mark these. I personally feel songs should be integrated as seemless branching option, let people watch movie a la cart mode, the way you like.

On other side this high def is new kid on block, and wold happen slowly as people are learning.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 am 

isnt a blu ray disc a Digital Video Disc anyway? like digital video..on a disc..

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Sanjay wrote:
... that we ought to be able to differentiate between Blu-Ray discs, DVD discs, VCD discs

:shock: I'm gob smacked after the preachy tone you actually put the word discs after DVD & VCD :lol:

Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:35 pm 

ali wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
... that we ought to be able to differentiate between Blu-Ray discs, DVD discs, VCD discs

:shock: I'm gob smacked after the preachy tone you actually put the word discs after DVD & VCD :lol:

Ali

The only reason I mentioned the disc after each format was to highlight the difference between them. Although if you really want to get picky, the correct terminology would be Blu-Ray disc, DVD-Video disc & DVD-Audio disc. Ofcourse they could all be referred to simply as BD, DVD Video & DVD Audio, or in this video focused forum, simply as BD & DVD. In the case of VCD my usage of disc is definately redundant and incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Yaara I was only pulling your leg, I know Saawariya is crap film so I thought I'd keep the topic off track to the relieve my boredom :lol:

Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 pm 

vjmajic2002 wrote:
isnt a blu ray disc a Digital Video Disc anyway? like digital video..on a disc..

You are right about the fact that Blu-Ray, DVD, VCD & HD-DVD all have digital video stored on a disc. But the term Blu-ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VCD etc. are all trademarked names representing specific formats that are all technically different and incompatible with each other and thus they cannot be used to describe or identify each other.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:48 pm 

ali wrote:
Yaara I was only pulling your leg, I know Saawariya is crap film so I thought I'd keep the topic off track to the relieve my boredom :lol:

Ali

Believe it or not even though I have absolutely no desire to watch this film and I particularly do not care much for Sanjay Leela Bhansali and his brand of over melodramatic cinema, I still bought the Blu-Ray disc. After reading all the superlative reviews the Blu-Ray disc got, I simply could not resist and had to see for myself how a good presentation of an Indian film looks & sounds like in a home theater.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:51 pm 

ali wrote:

Ali

yaar sanjay, jaane bhi do yaar! enjoy saawariya audio, songs from your bluray man! bachey haen seekh jayenge :D

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:03 am 

DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next