All times are UTC

How is the Picture Quality of this DVD?
1. Excellent 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
2. Good 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
3. OK 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4. Bad 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 pm 

Hariyali Aur Rasta (English: The Greenery and the Road) (Hindi: हरियाली और रास्ता) is a 1962 Hindi film produced and directed by Vijay Bhatt. It had Manoj Kumar and Mala Sinha as leads. The film was shot extensively in Darjeeling, especially in Ging Tea Estate and Rangneet Tea Estate. The music was by Shankar Jaikishan.

The film was the fourth highest grosser of the year in 1962 and was declared a 'Hit'.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 pm 

These look pretty decent

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:06 pm 

There is a dvd by WEG and it does not freeze.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:35 pm 

You and your dislike for freezing problems..

Last edited by Ragz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:21 pm 

Could we call this one of the better Bollywood DVDs of a Black and White movie?

Rana Ji, is this one field averaged? Or Pseudo Progressive?? Any idea?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:30 am 

Ragz wrote:

There's no such thing as a 'better' Bollywood DVD of a classic film. They range from mediocre to horrible. This one has blown out whites, judging from the pictures, and a huge Shemaroo logo. It's typical Shemaroo garbage.
Quote:
...this one field averaged?

Make available a short 10-second sample. There's no way to tell from pictures. However, most Shemaroo DVDs are field-blended. Not all. Some are slightly better, some worse.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

Welcome on the forums Tom. Thanks for clarifying. According to the songs DVD, the song "Allah Jane Kya Hoga Aage" was thoroughly field averaged with all interlaced frames. So my guess is that the DVD is field averaged.

But, I don't trust shemaroo... They don't stay with the same encoding. The versions available now may be worse than these screen caps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:07 am 

Oh, this is not a field averaged disc. It certainly doesn't have a speed shift.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

Ragz wrote:
You and your obsession with freezing problems..

WHAT IS YOUR REASON FOR SAYING THIS. I am not obsessed; it is a fact that WEG, DEI and SKY have so many dvds that freezes that they had to go out of business. Also Video soumd and Spark.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:56 am 

Hahah, it was supposed to be a light-hearted comment. Did not intend to cause any offence. Since most of your posts are questioning on freezing/rotting issues, I thought that was the first factor you looked into before purchasing your DVDs.
I should've said "DISLIKE" for freezing problems. :oops:
Changed my post, sorry. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:36 am 

Ragz wrote:
Hahah, it was supposed to be a light-hearted comment. Did not intend to cause any offence. Since most of your posts are questioning on freezing/rotting issues, I thought that was the first factor you looked into before purchasing your DVDs.
I should've said "DISLIKE" for freezing problems. :oops:
Changed my post, sorry. :)

Have you read the posts about how good DEI/BEI dvds are. Well I had to dump over 40 of their shitty dvds because of freezing problems. Also they bad mouth Eros dvds .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 am 

Yes, I have read the forums regarding DEi freezing issues. There was a time when those DVDs were reproduced on crappy silver media.
Also, those DVDs are all out of print by now, and the DVDs you find at retail / online stores couldn't have been manufactured after 2006 (that's when DEi/BE went out of business). So you might expect partially or totally rotten discs.

Even Shemaroo has been criticized on the forums for rotting issues. I myself had to throw away so many discs that stopped working after some time. Some never played at all!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 am 

Ragz wrote:

Rana Ji, is this one field averaged? Or Pseudo Progressive?? Any idea?

To my surprise, it's Pseudo-Prog.
This is the first Black and White Shemaroo DVD that I find Pseudo-Prog. All other Shemaroo B/W DVDs I have seen so far, are Field Averaged. This is definitely one of the better Black and White (Indian) DVDs. Recall, there are some Progressive Black and White (Indian) DVDs around. Just a few, may be 4-5 ??

I also have the WEG DVD which is Field Averaged.

Run Time:
Film CC shows 4627.5 meters which is 168.5 min.
Shemaroo DVD is 166 min (No speed shift)
WEG DVD is 160 min and is speed shifted 4% (166.5 min film time)
(Same film content)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 pm 

I figured that out myself after I saw a rip of the Allah Jane Kya Hoga song, realizing there's no 4% shift in it.
Hm, maybe your claim about Shemaroo not doing too many pseudo progressive BW DVDs is correct. Although, I'm sure I've seen a lot of BW shemaroo DVDs without any speed shift
Ones that I recall:
Anupama (1966)
Sadhna (1958)
Mughal-E-Azam (1960)
Mem Didi (1961)
Kala Bazaar (1960)
Taxi Driver (1954)

For all you know, the newer publications of these Shemaroo DVDs may very well PAL to NTSC converted. But I'm certain that I've seen clips of these movie DVDs sans any speed shift (trust me. I have a very sharp ear for pitch fluctuations. Once I listen to a soundtrack in a different tempo/pitch, I remember it for a very long time)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm 

1) You are right Ragz. I do recall now, that most of the Shemaroo releases of B/W MughaleAzam indeed were Pseudo-Prog (at least one was field averaged, what they called "enhanced viewing".
Other ones that you mentioned, I will look for them if I don't have the Pseudo-Prog versions of those already.
(Checked so far: Shemaroo Anupama, Kala Bazaar (bad print), Mem Didi; Yes are Pseudo-Prog - - )

BTW, I guess, you will agree that 99% of B/W Bollywood DVDs are Field Averaged ??

2) Great that you can hear the difference between 4% speed up & Normal speed. I can't. I have to depend on frame by frame repeat pattern.