It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:32 pm 

Good to see that I will be soon having two more Big B movies in my collection :D . Hope the quality comes out to be darn good for Dostana too.

Post subject: notes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 pm 

The Eros NTSC DVD and the Sony BMG PAL DVD of Agneepath, both run 167 minutes. Strange :lol:

I have heard that the Eros DVD (with Amitabh's normal voice) has slightly different background music when compared to WEG (with the raspy voice). Does anyone know exactly what this difference is and in which all scenes can this difference be noted? It's also said that the WEG version has more violence.

The above answers would help in identifying any differences between Sony BMG and Eros (other than Amitabh's voice).

Post subject: Re: notes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:53 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
The Eros NTSC DVD and the Sony BMG PAL DVD of Agneepath, both run 167 minutes. Strange :lol:

No surprise here. Many crap PQ DVDs are PAL to NTSC (or NTSC-PAL-NTSC-PAL- - - ) converted and also field averaged. No speed difference in such cases.

I hope, Sony BMG is direct Film to PAL in which case it'll be Progressive by default.
If it's sourced from NTSC DVD (Sony will never associate with such transfer) that itself was sourced and converted from PAL, obvious can be expected.

----------------------
As I recall (not sure though):

AB voice whether AB version or 'someone else's dub' is throughout the film. Producers didn't want to delay releasing the film when AB was not avail for dubbing (illness or some conflict), they completed the film using dubbing artist voice. Later, AB did dub. So, some prints have dubbed artist voice and some have AB voice.

Post subject: Re: notes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:58 pm 

rana wrote:
NewDeep wrote:

No surprise here. Many crap PQ DVDs are PAL to NTSC (or NTSC-PAL-NTSC-PAL- - - ) converted and also field averaged. No speed difference in such cases.

I hope, Sony BMG is direct Film to PAL in which case it'll be Progressive by default.
If it's sourced from NTSC DVD (Sony will never associate with such transfer) that itself was sourced and converted from PAL, obvious can be expected.

----------------------
As I recall (not sure though):

AB voice whether AB version or 'someone else's dub' is throughout the film. Producers didn't want to delay releasing the film when AB was not avail for dubbing (illness or some conflict), they completed the film using dubbing artist voice. Later, AB did dub. So, some prints have dubbed artist voice and some have AB voice.
The movie length is 174 minutes -- so at 4% speedup, a PAL DVD would be 167 minutes --which is how long the Sony BMG PAL DVD is.

About your note on the dubbing, I do not think that's accurate. Initially, I think, they recorded AB's rasping voice because the character sees and understands a great tragedy when he is still a child -- which affects his voice. But this did not go down well with some fans, a few of who thought that this was not really AB's voice (though it was) -- and so AB rerecorded in his normal baritone.

What I am interested in is the following:
NewDeep wrote:
I have heard that the Eros DVD (with Amitabh's normal voice) has slightly different background music when compared to WEG (with the raspy voice). Does anyone know exactly what this difference is and in which all scenes can this difference be noted? It's also said that the WEG version has more violence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:39 am 

In the last scene, wherein Bachchan kills Danny (well, the former's "character" kills the latter's), the music is — as I recall — different. I prefer the WEG one (or...at least, "so I recall").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:30 am 

i have made a nicam VHS earlier with both audio versions recorded onto it. (like switching audio on dvd) this helped me notice the differences.

to put the record straight, newdeep your right, both versions ARE Bachchan's voice. (he was experimenting with his voice and character, but as B.O result was low, they decided to re- dub and re-release.)

i noticed the background music in Eros (re-dub) are different in scenes (Scarface music used as substitute):

-Vijay walks slowly up steps in jail to kill 2 men
-after family argument Vijay walks into church to see Mary for marriage.
-Kaancha Cheena asks Vijay after coming from the water, "kya chahte ho tum?" Vijay answers "Mandwa" then Scarface music starts again!

There may be others, but i only remember these.

The re-dub with Scarface music i think made the film more of a clone, where Laxmikant-Pyarelal made a good effort with background music in the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am 

screenshots please...and where can this DVD be purchased from

Post subject: screenshots
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:22 pm 

Here are the screenshots -- the pic is anamorphic PAL but the PQ may not be perfect yet.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Last edited by newDEEP [go-green] on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: 2nd set
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:27 pm 

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject: 3rd set
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:37 pm 

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:05 pm 

Honestly, the screen-shots aren't exactly "blowing me away"; that said, I can comment positively at least that they seem to have maintained the original aspect ratio of the film (or have come damned close to doing so) — something neither the Eros nor the WEG DVD bothered to do. :)

Post subject: notes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:10 pm 

Commando303 wrote:
Honestly, the screen-shots aren't exactly "blowing me away"; that said, I can comment positively at least that they seem to have maintained the original aspect ratio of the film (or have come damned close to doing so) — something neither the Eros nor the WEG DVD bothered to do. :)
The opening credits are in proper AR, and then the film is slightly cropped... another note is that sharpness may be missing in my screen shots -- I think I am not doing something properly... see my notes in screen shots for Omkara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks NewDeep, I would have loved to own this DVD if they had maintained the original AR all the way throughout the movie, I just hate it when they give you glimpse of what its meant to be like then zoom in after the credits. All the screen shots copied over to zulm server;

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:27 pm 

ali wrote:
[...]I just hate it when they give you glimpse of what its meant to be like then zoom in after the credits.

Say that again, and again, and again...

:evil: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:59 pm 

Hey Newdeep, can U plz throw some light on the sound. I know u mentioned it to be stereo but is it crisp clear or is it like the same as WEG/ EROS. The background sound of orig. Agneepath was awesome though.
Thanks for posting the screenshots of Agneepath and if possible and if U have the dvd of Dostana can U post them too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next