Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:12 pm
A Blu-Ray Player 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
An HD-DVD Player 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Neither 82%  82%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm 

All right, who here intends to purchase a Blu-Ray player or an HD-DVD player within the next couple of months or so? Let's say, more than that: by the end of the year 2006, C.E.? Personally, I do not. I feel that DVDs (when "done right") offer excellent image and sound quality, and I have no intention of buying into the "next-generation" hype, especially not at its dawn, when technology is still primative, expensive, and supported on only a small scale. So, this shall be a "voting thread"... vote away.

*Of course, feel free (and even encouraged) to post your thoughts in writing, as well.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Voted Neither, loads of reasons but mainly I've totally lost faith in digital optical media as storage device.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:59 pm 

ali wrote:
Voted Neither, loads of reasons but mainly I've totally lost faith in digital optical media as storage device.

Back to tape, are we :D

I voted neither because:

-I may or may not get an HDTV by the end of 2006
-Who knows which of the two formats will be the format?
-Current DVDs will still look pretty good. So far I haven't seen any HD titles that interest me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:24 pm 

neither. I agree with Ali. I prefer media with better protection. No, not tape. and moreover, I don't have an "HD" display yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:26 pm 

neither
i already have an hdtv but i rather wait to see which format is the "winner" plus i am in no hurry since it doesnt look as if hindi dvds are going to come out soon on the new formats and finally if the hindi dvds have the same print as the dvd version of it, then there is no use in getting it for me since i barely watch english movies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 pm 

I will wait for 2-in-1 (Player supporting both formats) at US$100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:09 am 

VijayDinanathChavan wrote:
I will wait for 2-in-1 (Player supporting both formats) at US$100.

Hopefully, Apex is working hard trying to acheive this player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 am 

I think I read somewhere on cNet.com that a player is in the works that will support both formats. Nevertheless, I just don't feel compelled to invest in some new home-video technology at the moment. :)

*I think I'm losing my mind: I could've sworn that I'd posted this thread in the "Bak Bak" section... :twisted: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:24 am 
Site Admin

Commando303 wrote:
*I think I'm losing my mind: I could've sworn that I'd posted this thread in the "Bak Bak" section... :twisted: .

You did :lol: I moved it here, I thought it would be more suited here.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:51 pm 

Ahh; thank god I'm not crazy (well...not for this particular reason, anyway).

:twisted: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:37 am 

I'm waiting for VC-1 titles on BR and HDMI1.3 players. If there are none this year I have to think again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:06 pm 

mhafner wrote:
I'm waiting for VC-1 titles on BR and HDMI1.3 players. If there are none this year I have to think again. :)

You are right , my time with HD DVD PLAYER left me less than impressed! There is no doubt improvement in both AUDIO /VIDEO Quality over NON HD upscaled dvds, but based on scarcity of software, high pricing, bugged players! Michael's strategy is right on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:49 am 

I have no issues with VC-1 quality on HD-DVD. It's superb with a good source. But the quality will be the same from Blue Ray (and potentially better) once BR uses VC-1 and later 50GB discs. And current players from both camps are not exactly mature. On the other hand I don't want to wait too long and miss all the fun. Maybe the PS3 is a good idea for starters (HDMI 1.3, 1080p) and affordable. And you can play games as well if that's your cup of tea. I don't want both systems to fail. That would be really bad unless a unified system would emerge quickly afterwards. I don't think so. If this fails it's only download or TV. I want neither as exclusive HD sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 am 

Neither I want to buy, but will get a PS3 so that puts me in the Blue ray camp.

I read that the HD version of Stargate has no extras (I'm not bothered about the movie), but it shows you that companies are releasing bare bone HD DVDS no doubt later a special edition with extras will be released. Maybe in a years time I'll then think about getting new discs etc, till then why bother investing in a system, when the companies will just milk you twice for your favourite releaases anyway?

The idea of 2 in 1 players is ok, but normally you end up with 2 mediocre players in 1 - VHS/DVD combos? TV/DVD combos? ALso is there any point getting a 2 in 1 when 1 of them is likely to fail if the other takes off?

I'll get SKY HD (Satellite) and be happy with that for the moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:53 am 

I voted neither as well. Until one format wins or Apex, or Samsung release an HD player that can play both formats I'm not shelling out $500 to $1000 dollars for what could ended as nothing more than a paper weight.