It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Screen shots from Mere Humdam (spelt Hamdam on censor card) Mere Dost from T-Series DVD - thanks to JamesBond007 for providing the screen captures;

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:05 pm 

As far as I remember the name is " Mere Hamdam Mere Dost" So T-Series mis-spelt the name and it's not the only thing they did wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 pm 

:lol:

Recall AB's film Hum
Recall Vivek Oberoi's Dum.

Going by the pronunciation of the Hindi/ Urdu name of the film, shouldn't the spelling be Humdum ??

Hamdam --- Ham Dam (Damm)
Humdam --- Hum Dam (Damm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:39 pm 

rana wrote:
:lol:

Recall AB's film Hum
Recall Vivek Oberoi's Dum.

Going by the pronunciation of the Hindi/ Urdu name of the film, shouldn't the spelling be Humdum ??

Hamdam --- Ham Dam (Damm)
Humdam --- Hum Dam (Damm)

You could be right about the origin of the word, however the name as I remember it is "Hamdam". About the origin maybe the experts ( armaan, Aarkayne. ) can shed some light! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:44 pm 

Its not a matter of correct Hindi/Urdu spelling but a question of sticking to the original spellings of the films: The place to look would be the opening credits of the film, vinyl cover and reliable publicity posters of the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:47 pm 

In this case the censor card should suffice then! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:09 pm 

JamesBond007 wrote:
In this case the censor card should suffice then! :lol:

Sure, Hamdam is 100% consistent with English subtitling of Hindi/ Urdu films.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Censor cert mentions it to be a Hindi film. So, the name is in Hindi. This Hindi film name when written in Devnagari (Hindi) script or in Arabic (Urdu) script can be written exactly what the word is actually pronounced as. This Hindi word when written in Roman script, that it's incapable of, sure causes many twists and turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:55 pm 

Rana Saheb, what's in a name! :lol: A rose by any other name smells the same.! :) And that whats this movie is, a " Rose "( no not the DVD you would'nt like, it's interlaced) , if you have'nt seen it yet do catch it! Also good songs, although, the audio is very low on the songs only, you have to crank it up to listen! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:58 pm 

Picked up KMI DVD of this film. Screen shots from T-Series DVD seem to indicate bleeding colors, KMI DVD is natural colors. KMI DVD too is field averaged interlaced but seems to be somewhat better than the T-Series one. It's very pleasing colors & print (not expecting a Progressive encoding) watching on regular TV.

Very melodious songs (audio is excellent too), all 6 of them:

- Mere Hamdam Mere Dost (7/10)
- Chalo Sajna Jahan Tak Ye - - Chale (9/10)
- Allah Ye Adaa, Kaisee, Inn Hasinon Ki (6/10)
- Chhalkaaye Jaam (10/10)
- Huyee Shaam To Unkaa Khyaal Aa Gayaa (7/10)
- Humne To Kiya Hai Pyar (9/10)

CC shows 4476 meters (163 min or 156 minm with 4% speed up) but the DVD is 137 min, indicating 19-20 min cut. (There are some abrupt scene endings)

How long is the T-Series DVD.
There also is an Appolo version that was in circulation some time back.
(I'll see if I can find a VHS version and see if it's longer version)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 pm 

In the case of a movie industry totally obsessed with superstitious and archaic beliefs, spellings is the last thing that one can expect them to get right. As it is, it is quite difficult to correctly (phoenetically), spell Hindi/Urdu words in English, but with numerologists ruling the roost in Bollywood it is damn well impossible. Although the title of the film in question is spelt by the filmakers as 'Mere Humdam, Mere Dost', the more accurate spelling would have been 'Mere Humdum, Mere Dost'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 am 

Thanks to a friend,s reminder I visited the soundtrack of this film composed by LP.
And I was handsomely surprised that all those great songs that I was familiar with in bits a pieces belonged to this film [OK HAND SIGN]One after the other lilting melodies of golden era of Indian cinema and music where 10-12 songs per alum used to be all masterpieces[THUMBS UP SIGN], evergreen with absolute mesmerizing singing of Rafi and Lata;) starting from hui shaam, going through , allah, passing by chalkaey jaam and above all chalo sajna jahan tak ghatta chaley!
I decided to watch a couple on you tube and boy o boy, Sharmila, glamorous as ever, Dharam in his Garam , hey handsome days, and once more concluding that Mumtaz was one of the finest dancer Hindi cinema had produced, simply effortless mastery of foot work;)
I thought my mileage on Hindi movies old and new is pretty decent ( of course not as much as Rana sahib[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]) but did not seem to recall this film ;( thanks to Rana sahib I revisited the thread and thought T series DVD Ss did look decent enough to re watch;) but Rana Sahab kindly indicated that KMI version is indeed the way to go;) so now I anxiously await to receive a copy from Rana sahib to watch and then shall come back and revisit here what did I think about the film. But soundtrack is a gem nevertheless. And is highly recommended [THUMBS UP SIGN] Go for it and sooth your ears! Happy [EAR]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:34 am 

Zoran, I'm assuming you've used those iOS emojis, which won't display here, hahah. I wish a plugin could be installed on the forums allowing us to use them in our posts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:49 pm 

rana wrote:
Picked up KMI DVD of this film. Screen shots from T-Series DVD seem to indicate bleeding colors, KMI DVD is natural colors. KMI DVD too is field averaged interlaced but seems to be somewhat better than the T-Series one. It's very pleasing colors & print (not expecting a Progressive encoding) watching on regular TV.

CC shows 4476 meters (163 min or 156 minm with 4% speed up) but the DVD is 137 min, indicating 19-20 min cut. (There are some abrupt scene endings)

Revisiting this thread, I realize, I never got to follow up on this topic. I don't have access to KMI DVD for another month and never got to check the VHS (no need to check VHS, as a full version is avail on youtube).

KMI/ Eagle Print: I said KMI print is slightly better than T-Series but I remember excellent print on songs DVD (I play that DVD often when having gathering at home). I think, it's Eagle songs DVD and not KMI DVD ?? Will check when I get back home in 3-4 weeks. Youtube prints too are pretty good. One good thing though, all youtube runtimes for MHMD are 155 min which agrees with film cc, assuning 4% speed shift for Film to PAL transfer.

Also, in my post I listed 6 songs and T-Series screenshot and youtube shows 7 songs for this film. Not sure at the moment, if KMI is missing one song or I did not notice it. I will review it when I get back home.

As Zoran said, songs are excellent. And I remember, the film has an excellent storyline.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:47 pm 

Ragz wrote:
Zoran, I'm assuming you've used those iOS emojis, which won't display here, hahah. I wish a plugin could be installed on the forums allowing us to use them in our posts. :mrgreen:

that would be lovely lol. i love those and found them best suited here:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:48 pm 

rana wrote:
rana wrote:

Revisiting this thread, I realize, I never got to follow up on this topic. I don't have access to KMI DVD for another month and never got to check the VHS (no need to check VHS, as a full version is avail on youtube).

KMI/ Eagle Print: I said KMI print is slightly better than T-Series but I remember excellent print on songs DVD (I play that DVD often when having gathering at home). I think, it's Eagle songs DVD and not KMI DVD ?? Will check when I get back home in 3-4 weeks. Youtube prints too are pretty good. One good thing though, all youtube runtimes for MHMD are 155 min which agrees with film cc, assuning 4% speed shift for Film to PAL transfer.

Also, in my post I listed 6 songs and T-Series screenshot and youtube shows 7 songs for this film. Not sure at the moment, if KMI is missing one song or I did not notice it. I will review it when I get back home.

As Zoran said, songs are excellent. And I remember, the film has an excellent storyline.

I tried watching a couple songs and uploaded film on YOUTUBE but results were not consistent. I thought may be resolution has been dropped to 340P perhaps, and could not tell, which print is T series and which KMI?
Just caught upload of KMI with a lot of SS, I find picture a tad too soft but of course not over saturated colors. I will send it to you rana, and if I could figure out how to upload here. Legend or Ali, if u could help:)