It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:34 pm 

Saw Dilip's Mela on Baba DVD.

The most famous song from this film is, "Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare".

Does any one remember or know if this song is of 3-4 min duration, as I expected it to be, or just a line here and there (perhaps the same verse line) as it is in Baba DVD ??

(BTW, PQ is typical "Baba" VHS sourced. Run Time is 142 min)

There also is a TTE version. Any idea if the song is of reasonable duration in this version. How is PQ, Audio ??

Does any one have the full lyrics of the "Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare" song ??

Thanks.

Last edited by rana on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:58 pm 

Quote:
The most song from this film is from this film is

Whatever you mean,I got the drift.. I still don't agree unless you include " Gaye Jaa Geet Milan Ke Sajan" and " Mohan Ke Muraliya Baje" Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare?, I don't think it's more than 2 1/2 mins tops! Baba should go bankrupt for what they did to this DVD. Some parts are so dark and blurry! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm 

JamesBond007 wrote:
Quote:
The most song from this film is from this film is

Whatever you mean,I got the drift.. I still don't agree unless you include " Gaye Jaa Geet Milan Ke Sajan" and " Mohan Ke Muraliya Baje" Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare?, I don't think it's more than 2 1/2 mins tops! Baba should go bankrupt for what they did to this DVD. Some parts are so dark and blurry! :twisted:

Quite a few songs from this film are famous. Title song "Ye Zindagi Ke Mele Kabhi Kum Na Honge is quite famous too. But, to me, lead actors' love call "Dharti Ko Akash Pukare" is the haunting tune that stays with you. Voices of Shamshad Begum (as corrected by JB) and male voice perhaps Mukesh.

On more serious viewing, these are all the lyrics that are in the Baba version:

Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare
Aa Ja Aa Ja, Prem Duare
Aana Hee Hoga
Es Duniya Ko Chhod Ke Pyare
Toote Bandhan Tod Ke Saare
Jaana Hee Hoga

First during the starting titles, all these lines taking up about 1 min plus another 1 min of music. Later in the film, at various instances, one or two of these same lines are repeated.

Perhaps that's all there was to the song??
Also, faintly I recall reading somewhere that that's all that got recorded as Shamshad Begum migrated to Pakistan??

Last edited by rana on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:24 pm 

Quote:
is the haunting tune that stays with you. Voices of Noor Jehan and male voice perhaps Mukesh

Shamshad Begum :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:09 pm 

JamesBond007 wrote:
Quote:
is the haunting tune that stays with you. Voices of Noor Jehan and male voice perhaps Mukesh

Shamshad Begum :lol:

Thanks for correcting me. Made changes in my post.

Who is the male voice in that song ?? Mukesh ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:13 pm 

Quote:

I can't recall at the moment. It's been awhile since I saw the DVD or listen to this song! I know Rafi and Mukesh were the male playback singers on the tracks! When I get home I will play the DVD and listen to confirm, Mukesh have a more nasal tone and wouldn't be hard to distinguish!. I found this tid bit, thought you might find it interesting. We wonder why plagiarism is so rampant now? Well it seems it was already a common practice and was imbedded way back then! :lol: http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback& ... /35FEB.htm

".......Naushad once alleged that his tune ('Mera salarn leja'- 'Uran Khatola') was stolen from his music room by fellow composers (he meant Husna lal- Bhagatram). Piqued by the accusation, they retorted that they had stolen their tune ('Sham-e-bahar aai'- 'Shama Parwana') from where, they claimed Naushad himself had stolen the tune.
Refering to the love-call Dharti ko akash pukare' in 'Mela', I asked Naushad recently if he was inspired by Ghulam Hyder's 1936 melody 'Raavi ke us paar. He diplomatically replied that many composers were inspired by Ghulam Hyder and he also could be one of them. He cited the example of R C Boral who created 'Ek bangala bane nyara 'from Ghulam Hyder's Asrab ko jane wale
'composed in 1936. It was more of a defence, meaning "if Boral could do it, why not l?"
Call it inspiration or plagiarism: some are candid about it while some hide it behind the mask of hypocrisy.........."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:59 am 

Quote:

Yes!........ Here is a surprise for me with this second veiwing! I'm not too sure at all that it was sourced from VHS, given the fact the certificate showed the print "1952". Considering the age and knowing BABA( No restoration attempts ) it is half decent! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 pm 

Pleasantly surprised to see Shemaroo Mela (Dilip Kumar) run time of 146 min 31 sec (152 min film time). (Recall Baba DVD is/was 142 min)

Film CC (year UN-readable) shows 3933 (143 .5 min) meters and also shows 14 reels (140 minutes max @ 10 min reels).

(It's a 1948 film and the Film CC with Shemaroo DVD indicates 1952 act, meaning it's not the original release CC. Most likely, the CC is from the VHS era of 1980s-1990s)

They must have inserted some previously lost footage.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 am 

rana wrote:
Dharti Ko Akaash Pukare
Aa Ja Aa Ja, Prem Duare
Aana Hee Hoga
Es Duniya Ko Chhod Ke Pyare
Toote Bandhan Tod Ke Saare
Jaana Hee Hoga

These are the only lines that are in Shemaroo DVD as well.

Shemaroo DVD has these lines @
0:00:04 to 0:02:00 Shamshad Begum
0:13:43 to 0:14:25 Mukesh & Shamshad Begum
0:38:00 to 38:50 Mukesh & Shamshad Begum
0:58:00 to 0:58:50 Shamshad Begum & Mukesh
1:34:55 to 1:35:20 Mukesh
1:41:18 to 1:42:25 Mukesh
2:20:14 to 2:20:55 Shamshad Begum
2:24:53 to 2:26:00 Shamshad Begum

I recall reading somewhere that that's all that got recorded as Shamshad Begum migrated to Pakistan??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:37 pm 

Good to hear that there is a possible better version of Mela out there. Regarding the song, "Dharti Ko Aakash Pukare". I dug out my vinyl LP of Mela. This song is on there, but listed as "title music" at the end of side B Image

The song runs for about 2:04 and only includes the lines that Rana listed.

I found a youtube upload from the original 78RPM record. This is the most complete version that I have ever heard. The LP starts at roughly 1.13 (so the intro with Mukesh singing can't be found on the LP, I guess only on the 78RPM record).

Regarding Shamshad Begum. She never migrated to Pakistan. In fact, her husband was Hindu and the remained married until 1955 when he died in an accident. Up to that point Shamshad Begum was the number one highest paid singer in India. After her husband died she didn't take any singing assignments for a year or so and Lata took hold as the number 1 female playback singer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:17 pm 

Muz wrote:
Good to hear that there is a possible better version of Mela out there. Regarding the song, "Dharti Ko Aakash Pukare". I dug out my vinyl LP of Mela. This song is on there, but listed as "title music" at the end of side B Image

The song runs for about 2:04 and only includes the lines that Rana listed.

I found a youtube upload from the original 78RPM record. This is the most complete version that I have ever heard. The LP starts at roughly 1.13 (so the intro with Mukesh singing can't be found on the LP, I guess only on the 78RPM record).

Regarding Shamshad Begum. She never migrated to Pakistan. In fact, her husband was Hindu and the remained married until 1955 when he died in an accident. Up to that point Shamshad Begum was the number one highest paid singer in India. After her husband died she didn't take any singing assignments for a year or so and Lata took hold as the number 1 female playback singer.

Thanks Muz, for the youtube link. Somehow, never realized that I didn't see this post till now. It was nice to hear all the song in one go, going for over 3 min.

It may be possible to re-compile it into even a longer version. This 78 rpm recording is Mukesh solo and then Shamshad Begum solo. One can add the duet verses too (as in the film), although these duet verses itself were compiled by combining Mukesh and Shamshad's separate recordings. But, it'll be satisfying to hear a longer stretch of this haunting song.