It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shemaroo YouTube prints
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm 

So, this may be a stupid question...............are the Shemaroo prints of older films on their YouTube channel etc cropped, stretched or both? Looking at the credits of some of the films, it doesn't appear that they are cropped (although that seems to be the most logical way forward). If the aspect ratio is changed from 16:9 to 4:3, they appear to be squished. Just wondering the best way of viewing these prints when there are no alternatives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:43 pm 

Many youtube videos are better than DVD releases. Reason, PAL (25 fps) mastered transferred to NTSC (24 fps) when field averaged, as many DVDs were. Those videos when mastered in PAL, when posted to youtube with 25 fps video, takes away the fuzziness caused by field averaging (one video frame containing info from more than one film frame).

As far as squished/ stretched video in youtube presentation, it's the same old incompetence issue. But, if your monitor/ TV/ screen can adjust stretch in the video, you can watch it properly. Most TVs these days have 3-4 AR settings. Another method that I use is D-Load youtube video and then play with Power DVD or with VLC or any oter media player. Most of these, you you have full control on stretch/ squish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 am 

rana wrote:
As far as squished/ stretched video in youtube presentation, it's the same old incompetence issue. But, if your monitor/ TV/ screen can adjust stretch in the video, you can watch it properly. Most TVs these days have 3-4 AR settings. Another method that I use is D-Load youtube video and then play with Power DVD or with VLC or any oter media player. Most of these, you you have full control on stretch/ squish.

I know you can change the aspect ratio quite easily - this is the query though. With the Shemaroo prints in particular, if I play these in a 4:3 aspect ratio, then they don't look right - which makes me think that they are cropped, rather than stretched?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:49 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
rana wrote:

I know you can change the aspect ratio quite easily - this is the query though. With the Shemaroo prints in particular, if I play these in a 4:3 aspect ratio, then they don't look right - which makes me think that they are cropped, rather than stretched?

Oh, I see what you mean. I did not pay attention to any brand, but it's the incompetency and stupidity that abounds. Mostly, knowingly or unknowingly, they try to fill the screen, whether stretched, squished, cropped, double cropped or whatever, and many a times they don't even know what they are doing. What can be worst that Shemaroo Blu Rays (MNJ, Sangam etc) are cropped from top and bottom (to make them 16:9) while DVD are uncut in 4:3 presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:10 pm 

rana wrote:
and many a times they don't even know what they are doing.

Case in point, Shemaroo chose to not just crop the picture for their Blu-ray of Mughal-E-Azam, but even stretched the frame horizontally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:06 pm 

rana wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
rana wrote:

Oh, I see what you mean. I did not pay attention to any brand, but it's the incompetency and stupidity that abounds. Mostly, knowingly or unknowingly, they try to fill the screen, whether stretched, squished, cropped, double cropped or whatever, and many a times they don't even know what they are doing. What can be worst that Shemaroo Blu Rays (MNJ, Sangam etc) are cropped from top and bottom (to make them 16:9) while DVD are uncut in 4:3 presentation.

I had mentioned the Shemaroo purely because that was the one I was looking at, I think most of the brands are filling the screen in any which way they can! It's a pity they don't understand a relatively simply concept of aspect ratio.

I actually had a look for the DVDs of MNJ and Sangam when I was in India earlier this year - unfortunately most DVD shops have now shut down, it was next to impossible to find a good selection anywhere.