It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 am 

I wrote:
What was the point of cropping off the top and the bottom of the images when the DVDs cannot create a proper widescreen DVD?
:?

I was referring to naya daur because MEA had the cropped portions back in DVDs, except being cropped to 1.50:1 to give up for film damages. So MEA didn't need an anamorphic treatment in DVDs

But Naya Daur still had cropped, phony, widescreen images in Shemaroo. Yet the DVD isn't encoded to anamorphic widescreen.

Last edited by Ragz on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:00 pm 

dvdisoil wrote:
Ok Guys i found some info on this. The OAR is 4:3 - they actually cropped it !

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader- ... 05463.html

We also did the formatting of the aspect ratio of the film, as originally the film was shot on the full screen format as against the current trend where we shoot in Cinemascope (Anamorphic). Thus, we formatted the entire film to suit the Cinemascope screen and then exposed it back on the negative.

How did you do this format change from full screen to Cinemascope? By compressing the frames or by trimming them? Did you loose out on any information in the frame?

We didn’t compress the film (it would lead to distortion). It was more like keeping the necessary information and let go the information that really doesn’t matter.

Like the Headroom?

Its not about just the headroom, it’s the overall framing that has to be judged and taken a call on. You definitely loose some information, but that’s negligible, only 5 - 10%.

[/i]
dvdisoil wrote:
arsh wrote:

I dont know how to make it bigger!

Are my eyes deceiving - It looks like the cropping is more than 5-10% . I already think 1.33:1 is a poor choice for the movie ( was widescreen not popular in the 60’s ?) and add cropping atop of it - this is terrible ! .

Mathematically, it comes to 11.2 % picture cut when you crop top and/ bottom to make a 4:3 picture to 1.5:1. It's 1.5:1 or 1.55:1 frame that was colorized and the remainder top & bottom portions trimmed/ cut.
For DVD release and for TV broadcasts it's this almost full frame.

For theatrical screening it might have been wider AR by chopping/ masking-off top and bottom of the available picture. Actually, I think even the film frames were for a 1.5:1 picture ?? It has been 10 Yrs but perhaps it's time to check into it as I still have actual film frame (found it) and will get it printed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 pm 

I think they cropped it to 1.5:1 for DVDs to give up for film damages, to reduce shakes (stabilization) or so and not to make it wide.

For theatres they cropped it to 1.78 or 1.85 to match modern technology.

I'm assuming the 1.5:1 thing because their special features disc says that the film had damages and shakes which needed to be restored and stabilized respectively .
And I saw the b/w version having sad damages in the top/ bottom .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:44 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
I think they cropped it to 1.5:1 for DVDs to give up for film damages, to reduce shakes (stabilization) or so and not to make it wide.

For theatres they cropped it to 1.78 or 1.85 to match modern technology.

I'm assuming the 1.5:1 thing because their special features disc says that the film had damages and shakes which needed to be restored and stabilized respectively .
And I saw the b/w version having sad damages in the top/ bottom .

the opening scenes in colourized MEA -- i have always felt that they appear stretched.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:37 pm 

rana wrote:
Mathematically, it comes to 11.2 % picture cut when you crop top and/ bottom to make a 4:3 picture to 1.5:1. It's 1.5:1 or 1.55:1 frame that was colorized and the remainder top & bottom portions trimmed/ cut.
For DVD release and for TV broadcasts it's this almost full frame.

For theatrical screening it might have been wider AR by chopping/ masking-off top and bottom of the available picture. Actually, I think even the film frames were for a 1.5:1 picture ?? It has been 10 Yrs but perhaps it's time to check into it as I still have actual film frame (found it) and will get it printed.

Yes, for TV and DVD purpose they maintained the fuller 1.5 ratio to make up for the damages in the original negative. The theatres must be having 1.78 ratio masked off.

Mr. Rana wrote:
I think even the film frames were for a 1.5:1 picture

Which film frames are you referring to in this statement?? The original b\w or the colored one??

You can clear our doubts by analyzing the original frame you have. And what is 'Headroom' they were talking about??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm 

newDEEP wrote:
the opening scenes in colourized MEA -- i have always felt that they appear stretched.

Stretched as in sideways or length wise??
Sideways stretched = Fat images formed
Lenghtwise = Tall images formed

I'd be happier with the 2nd option :D
Provided that nothing is cropped. This is only possible in 16X9 cinemascope images with AR greater than 2.35.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:29 pm 

The Eros version is field averaged and 4% speeded up but is the pitch corrected??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 pm 

Very honestly, I found Naya Daur, better in terms of quality. It looks much more natural and realistic. But some backgrounds look fake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
newDEEP wrote:

Stretched as in sideways or length wise??
Sideways stretched = Fat images formed
Lenghtwise = Tall images formed

I'd be happier with the 2nd option :D
Provided that nothing is cropped. This is only possible in 16X9 cinemascope images with AR greater than 2.35.
sideways :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:22 am 

newDEEP wrote:
Sideways

If you watch it on a widescreen (1.78:1 screen), it will definitely look stretched. But if you watch it in a 4:3 SD tv or a 4:3 screen, it will look normal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
newDEEP wrote:
Sideways

If you watch it on a widescreen (1.78:1 screen), it will definitely look stretched. But if you watch it in a 4:3 SD tv or a 4:3 screen, it will look normal.

the opening scenes are stretched whether you watch it on any screen. later on the movie appears normal -- no stretching.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:34 am 

newDEEP wrote:
Raghuvir wrote:
newDEEP wrote:
Sideways

the opening scenes are stretched whether you watch it on any screen. later on the movie appears normal -- no stretching.

Achchha!! I'll pay attention next time I see it!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:38 am 

Some sources say that MEA color is being considered for a 3D re-re-release?? They said that it shall happen in 2014, however I'm not 100% sure if it's gonna happen.

IF that happens, I'm completely sure that 3D blurays of that version(expecting too much, ain't I?? :lol: )will have a cropped 1.78/1.85 aspect ratio (Though i know that home video distributors will not do that, that's why there's a BIG if in my question)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:12 pm 

Quote:
I saw names of Tabassum and Jagdeep in the titles/credits of MEA. Can anyone figure out them in the movie?
Who acted as sister of Anarkali - is she Baby Tabassum

IMO, Tabassum is on of the 'Kaneezes' is the beginning, when Salim was a child.
The one who touches his shoulder and indicates something in the beginning.

There's a scene in which Chota Salim is drunk.. Probably, the lady who was sitting on the scales, half-nude, in that scene, is Baby Tabassum. Its like Akbar enters the scene watching Salim drunk and Johnny Walker gets up from the scales and the lady loses balance and frightened, looks at Akbar...

Anarkali's sis is Sheela Dalaya.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 pm 

I wrote:
The song mohabbat ki jhooti kahani appears to have a mono mix which has been spread to the other channels. :ffs:
Is it only seen in Shemaroo or Eros also sports this nonsense?

I have the audio cd of the restored version where Mohabbat Ki Jhooti sounds fine and miles ahead than the DVD version.

Arsh bhai!! Pls help!! :')

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next