It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm 

Muz wrote:
Raghuvir wrote:
Is Naya Daur colour on Shemaroo cropped??

I can confirm that Naya Daur is cropped (top and bottom) and is a non-anamorphic DVD. Certain scenes are also chopped and seem to be available on a separate disc labelled as deleted scenes. Not sure what the sense is in releasing the movie this way - but anyhow I am glad to also own the B/W version.

Mughl-e-Azam:
As far as I remember, when I saw colorized Mughl-e-Azam in theatre, although I did not get proper projection, it was full 4:3 original picture. One day I sure will come across, one film frame that I received from the projectionist and can figure it out further. I'm sure I did not throw (saved it safely) it but where is it in tons of paperwork, is not easy to find.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:52 pm 

rana wrote:
Muz wrote:
Mughl-e-Azam:
As far as I remember, when I saw colorized Mughl-e-Azam in theatre, although I did not get proper projection, it was full 4:3 original picture.

Are you sure you remember correctly? My memory says it was cropped from top & bottom to get a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
rana wrote:
Muz wrote:
Mughl-e-Azam:
As far as I remember, when I saw colorized Mughl-e-Azam in theatre, although I did not get proper projection, it was full 4:3 original picture.

Are you sure you remember correctly? My memory says it was cropped from top & bottom to get a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

As I said, the film projection was all screwed up. Theatre had only scope lens and the print was scope print, meaning only half the width of the film frame had picture. Projected film seemed like 1.78:1 but the picture sure was squished (and also tilted). As the 1.78:1 picture was squished, I assume, the normal picture would be 4:3 ??

Last edited by rana on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15 am 

Muz wrote:
I can confirm that Naya Daur is cropped (top and bottom) and is a non-anamorphic DVD. Certain scenes are also chopped and seem to be available on a separate disc labelled as deleted scenes. Not sure what the sense is in releasing the movie this way - but anyhow I am glad to also own the B/W version.

Yes. But the b\w DVDs of Naya Daur is no good. All the three versions - Shemaroo, Moserbaer and Yash Raj are pal speeded up. I don't enjoy the movies that way. I love the actual pitch. with the original speed and an awesome print.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 pm 

They chopped off a very important scene in Naya Daur colour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
Muz wrote:

Yes. But the b\w DVDs of Naya Daur is no good. All the three versions - Shemaroo, Moserbaer and Yash Raj are pal speeded up. I don't enjoy the movies that way. I love the actual pitch. with the original speed and an awesome print.

That's the tragedy/ stupidity of most DVDs originating from Indian sources. As India is a PAL/ 50 Hz country, they make master video in PAL/ 50 Hz. But the market is NTSC so they make NTSC (60 Hz) videos from PAL / 50 Hz source using Field Averaging.
The Ultimate stupidity is colorizing a film digitally, meaning 24 fps, and then not maintaining 24 fps or 30/ 60 for NTSC. Again they take digital 24 fps source, convert it to PAL (50 Hz) master and then convert again to NTSC using Field Averaging.
WHY NOT JUST SKIP THE UN-NECC 24 FPS to PAL process. 24 fps Digital to 24/ 30/ 60 fps NTSC is just fine. But, - - -.

BTW, PAL speed up is no problem, problem is converting PAL to NTSC. 4% speed up pitch has been judged as making no difference to audio quality, and even if it is, pitch can be corrected even if audio speed is 4% faster.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

The black bars in shemaroo are not of the same measurements. The top one is thinner than the bottom one. Whereas, in Eros, both of them appear of the same lengths. That's a disgusting move by Shemaroo. They do this to all their movies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:57 pm 

So, finally, which DVD is the winner (Shemaroo or Eros)???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm 

Is Naya Daur color available in Eros?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:26 am 

Let me tell you about the mistakes the restorers have made in colorizing the movie...

The feather scene, according to the painted poster, madhubala is wearing white dress, but the restorers have colorized it to green.

According to the painted poster of mohe panghat pe, madhubala wears a dark reddish pink attire. But it has been colorized to maroon and golden.

According to the painted poster, in the scene in which Akbar learns about salim's love, madhubala wears a light pink dress, but it has been colorized to green.

This shows the idiocy and the absent-mindedness of the restorers.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 am 

JamesBond007 wrote:
seems shemaroo just scratched out Eros and replace it with their name!

It's not so. Because Eros is 4% speeded up by field averaging. And in Shemaroo, every 4th frame is repeated like..
A B C D1 D2

Aren't i correct, Mr. Rana? See. You've given me your brains... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:38 am 

rana wrote:
Raghuvir wrote:
Muz wrote:

That's the tragedy/ stupidity of most DVDs originating from Indian sources. As India is a PAL/ 50 Hz country, they make master video in PAL/ 50 Hz. But the market is NTSC so they make NTSC (60 Hz) videos from PAL / 50 Hz source using Field Averaging.
The Ultimate stupidity is colorizing a film digitally, meaning 24 fps, and then not maintaining 24 fps or 30/ 60 for NTSC. Again they take digital 24 fps source, convert it to PAL (50 Hz) master and then convert again to NTSC using Field Averaging.
WHY NOT JUST SKIP THE UN-NECC 24 FPS to PAL process. 24 fps Digital to 24/ 30/ 60 fps NTSC is just fine. But, - - -.

BTW, PAL speed up is no problem, problem is converting PAL to NTSC. 4% speed up pitch has been judged as making no difference to audio quality, and even if it is, pitch can be corrected even if audio speed is 4% faster.

How stupid our authorers are.
So if they had encoded the naya daur DVD for pal, there wouldn't have been any 4% speedup?

And about the audio thing I'm sure that the quality isn't affected, but pitch destruction doesn't soothe me. But in Mono tracks, it sounds better and it makes lata mangershkar's voice even sweeter. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:38 am 

Can someone look into this?

The song mohabbat ki jhooti kahani appears to have a mono mix which has been spread to the other channels. :ffs:
Is it only seen in Shemaroo or Eros also sports this nonsense?

I have the audio cd of the restored version where Mohabbat Ki Jhooti sounds fine and miles ahead than the DVD version.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:41 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
The song mohabbat ki jhooti kahani appears to have a mono mix which has been spread to the other channels. :ffs:
Is it only seen in Shemaroo or Eros also sports this nonsense?

I have the audio cd of the restored version where Mohabbat Ki Jhooti sounds fine and miles ahead than the DVD version.

I got the new CD when it came out. I heard it in my car audio, in those days, and the new music was excellent, of course. I did watch MEA EROS and Shemaroo DVDs long time back and don't remember how it comes up in DVD. Presently, I don't have a pure directional sound set up for home video. Even when you hear multichannel sound, different sounds coming from different speakers, does not guarantee that it really was recorded that way and is being reproduced that way. At many stages between recording and playback, channel separation and delay can be introduced. (Also, as I read it one time, complicated but a perfect directional sound can be recorded in a single channel audio)

Sanjay, Zoran, what do you think about audio for that song, in MEA DVD ??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:48 pm 

It sounds horrible. Doesn't even have a feel of a rerecorded sound.

I too don't have a 5.1 setup, but I connected my tv to the different channels to find that all the channels have the same sound except the subwoofer channel. All what you here is the the song with the re-recorded part all mixed from 5.1 to mono

I hope its not there in the Eros version too because I'm planning to purchase it.

Can someone with the Eros version confirm this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next