It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 am 

rana wrote:
Finally! Got the negative printed

You mean you got the whole movie on a negative? :? :?: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:45 pm 

Ragz wrote:
rana wrote:
Finally! Got the negative printed

You mean you got the whole movie on a negative? :? :?: :shock:

Oops! I meant, "Film Frame". (corrected my post, as well)
When I saw this film in Toronto theatre, I hads a chat with the projectionist. At that time, there was a mention (on zulm perhaps) that the color picture is wide screen presentation (2.2:1 or so). As I saw the theatre projection at 1.78:1 and picture squished, I asked the projectionist. He did not have answers but gave me two film frames from his scrap. Obviously, film frames are for a picture 1.5:1 and the wider AR screenings in theatre are by masking off top and bottom.
----------------------------------------
urbanlegend wrote:

.. I dont have a negative scanner therefore used a regular scanner to scan it:

It has been long time so, don't remember exactly. But, my film frames (2) are different than this one. I do remember the projectionist giving me 2 film frames. Could have been two double frames ??, one of which I passed on to Urbanlegend for scanning and posting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm 

^ Oh! Sorry for the misunderstanding! :-P
Yes! I remember the mention of the negative your received from the projectionist (I've went through the topic more than 5 times Aur Abhi Bhi Mera Man Nahin Bhara :-P )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm 

Muz wrote:
I did have this on VHS after it was shown in channel 4 in the 1980's. But no longer as it was borrowed by someone and never returned.

Same issue with a full print of Mughal-e-Azam with a very rare black and white end scene with Anarkali in the dungeon.

Muz, can you describe that dungeon scene ??

If it's the scene at the end of the film where they show Anakali being brought down and being handed to her mother ??
If this is the scene you meant, it's still IN, in the Shemaroo DVDs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 pm 

The scene I mentioned was after the Khuda Neghaban song that is in colour. On my old VHS there is a black and white scene of the guards marching with Anarkali and then it cuts to the palace guards getting the roof of the wall ready (looping the chains through the stone roof, winching it up, flattening the ground where they will build the wall etc.) This is all in b/w and then it cuts back to colour and the scenes continue as they are in the DVD. I have never seen any of this in any other version. It doesn't add anything at all to the story - and to be honest drags out the whole last part of the movie ... but just an interesting part that is now missing. I wish I could find a copy of the old old pirate VHS again as this was on the very first release of Mughal-e-Azam that was available in the very early days of video.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm 

Duplicate post ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 am 

Muz wrote:
The scene I mentioned was after the Khuda Neghaban song that is in colour. On my old VHS there is a black and white scene of the guards marching with Anarkali and then it cuts to the palace guards getting the roof of the wall ready (looping the chains through the stone roof, winching it up, flattening the ground where they will build the wall etc.) This is all in b/w and then it cuts back to colour and the scenes continue as they are in the DVD. I have never seen any of this in any other version. It doesn't add anything at all to the story - and to be honest drags out the whole last part of the movie ... but just an interesting part that is now missing. I wish I could find a copy of the old old pirate VHS again as this was on the very first release of Mughal-e-Azam that was available in the very early days of video.

It'll be nice to track that scene.

In the mean while, I too checked my MEA DVD and VHSs. As I mentioned earlier, Shemaroo DVDs from the pre-color MEA times, that I have are a little over 197 min. My VHS is 185 min or so. Although it does not have that scene you mentioned, it does have an extra 2-3 min of a sequence in the climax:

1) As Anarkali is standing, they start building the stone wall. Wall building scenes are a little more than what's in MEA DVDs. (10-30 sec extra in VHS)

2) As Akbar refuses to grant Anakali's Mom's promissed wish, she goes to Jodha. Jodha agrees with her and takes a sword to half conscious Salim and asks him to fight for Anarkali and save her in time. Salim goes on horseback, struggles and is determined to get there, eventually stumbles and does not quite reach the burial site. (2 min).

--------------------------------
In the VHS days and also in the theatrical release days, there were various cuts of the film that were presented in different films. I just checked the last 10 min of the film and found 2 min of extra segment than what's in 197 min version. And, Muz has seen another 20-30 sec in the same last 10 min segment. If someone searched the rest of it, one may find more rare segments ??

Anyway, just combining the Shemaroo 197+ min version and adding the 3 min segments that I and Muz mentioned, we get 200 min of Mughal-E-Azam. There could be more such lost segments.

-------------------------------
BTW,

1960 Film CC Film Length = ?? (Recall, "Ae Mohabbat Zindabaad" song was added later on.
1980 Film CC shows 5088 meters which is 185 min.
Nov 2004 Colored MEA Film CC shows 4836 metes which is 176 min.

Available video is at least 200 min, combining different sources.

---------------------------------

Johny Walker name is in the Credits as Guest Appearance.
Did anyone notice him ?? Where ??
Or, is this another scene gone missing, over the years ??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:25 am 

Quote:
Johny Walker name is in the Credits as Guest Appearance. Did anyone notice him ?? Where ?? Or, is this another scene gone missing, over the years ??
Watch the scene in which Salim is a child. He's in the middle of the courtesans and there's Johnny Walker (probably as a eunuch). Salim slams a "Paigham" on his hands and says "Isse Jamuna Mein Baha Do" and Johnny is hurt and says "Ooi Allah" in a very comical way.

He's in the song "Shubh Din Aayo Re" (the song when the message of Salim's birth is conveyed) probably running around in a pinkish purple suit (as a eunuch).

----------------------------

I'm still gasping at the cut-scenes you mentioned. I wish I get to see them real soon. Let's wait till my boards end :D

Rana ji, is the 197 mins. DVD of yours PAL spedup?

BTW, I love the way you place your question marks. Like this " ??" <that space is always there before the question marks> I tried copying many times but didn't create the magic yours did ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 pm 

Ragz wrote:
I'm still gasping at the cut-scenes you mentioned. I wish I get to see them real soon. Let's wait till my boards end :D

Cut Scenes ?? Don't know what to call them. Better word will be "Edited Out" scenes. I wonder how long Mughal-E-Azam will be if all "Edited Out" scenes are put back IN. As I said before, various cuts of MEA were presented at different times.

I do think that the 2 min scene where Anarkali's Mom goes to Jodha and Jodha asks Salim to go rescue Anarkali is important because:
1) Jodha was an important character, not only in MEA film, she was an important character in Mughal empire and in Akbar and 'the next in line emperor' Salim's life, as well. She completely missing from the climax, does not seem right.

I think, all Shemaroo MEA B/W are 197 min long. If you can't find it, I'll send you a copy. I'm also putting this 2 min 'Anarkali's Mom'-Jodha-Salim scene on a DVD and will send it to you and Muz. Zoran, interested ??

Ragz wrote:

Is the 197 mins. DVD of yours PAL spedup?

No, it's direct Film to NTSC. No 4% speed up.

Ragz wrote:
BTW, I love the way you place your question marks. Like this " ??" <that space is always there before the question marks

I know, even grammatically incorrect, I like using question marks this way. Specially, when no one is grading me in an exam. :lol:
Also, putting one question mark right next to a word and the question mark gets hidden.

I'm not the only one, see how texting and chat lines are changing English language. Use of the words like THE, AN, A, are is being omitted. See American spelling for Colour as Color, Gauge as Gage, etc. And, of course, how many new words are in the new dictionaries. I wonder if words like LOL, CUL GTG have made into the dictionaries.
-------------------------------------

Last edited by rana on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:09 pm 

I would certainly love to watch the without-any-reason-shamelessly-butchered-off scene. You can send it on if possible. Even if you upload it on YouTube, I'd be fine with it.
I too have a field averaged version which comes in a special box type case (similar ones for their 'Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani' DVD). Its quite crisp. I don't think I want another one. :)

Thanks!!

Quote:
dictinaries

Here's your new invention. :-P Probably we'd get to see it in new dictionaries (Just a PJ (Pakau [Nonsensical] joke)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm 

BTW, there was a mention about MEA being colorized for VHS in the 80s or so. Can you tell me more about it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:22 pm 

Quote:
There could be more such lost segments

Best way : go to heaven and ask Asif Saheb about it!! LOL!!!

First let's ask his wife what kind of a person he was. Depending on that, we'd decide whether we need to go to heaven or hell!! LOL!!!

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for 80+ yrs!! ;)

NO OFFENCE TO BE TAKEN!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

Ragz wrote:
BTW, there was a mention about MEA being colorized for VHS in the 80s or so. What was it like?

Bump!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm 

Ragz wrote:
Ragz wrote:
BTW, there was a mention about MEA being colorized for VHS in the 80s or so. What was it like?

Bump!!

Not as good as the 2004-5 version, but was OK for it's times. Color TVs were new in those days and B/W programming was not in demand. Colorizing was basically adding orangish color to the whole frame on top of B/W. Black stays black, whites and greys became orangish with different shades. I think, MEA was the first film released in Color VHS and later on, a few other VHSs too were colorized. Remember, 30-40 min (in-between portions) of MEA was already in color, so those portions were real color.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 am 

So, basically just to enhance skin tones?

What about the clothes , sets , etc.? Would they be peach/orange as well?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next