It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:24 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Song : Humen Kash Tumse, is included and it looks FABULOUS!! Colors and the print (not garish)

My guess is that, since the song wasn't included in the colored version, the colorized version negative doesn't contain the song, they used a digital source.

As rana-ji told us before

Quote:
Restoration and coloring was done using computers. Digital masters are good enough to make 35mm prints, then it's possible to make an exact NTSC Progressive DVD out of the digital master. Only if they want to and know how to??
Digital master must be good enough to make a Progressive HD-DVD.

Quote:
I browsed through the extras, that seems to be better quality than the movie itself (ironic).

That's true!

You can also compare from the extra disc. Watch the colorization process where they show shots/segments of the colored version (most likely from digital/computer source). Those ones are much better than those included in the main feature disc.

Last edited by Ragz on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:01 pm 

newDEEP wrote:
Raghuvir wrote:
newDEEP wrote:
Sideways

If you watch it on a widescreen (1.78:1 screen), it will definitely look stretched. But if you watch it in a 4:3 SD tv or a 4:3 screen, it will look normal.

the opening scenes are stretched whether you watch it on any screen. later on the movie appears normal -- no stretching.

I didn't observe this in my copy. Perhaps your copy only had it ??

To my eyes, it looks normal - probably my eyes are deceiving me ??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 pm 

I SAW THIS!!!!

Probably a boolteg version. The cover shows it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:05 pm 

Golly! No one responded!! :|

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:41 pm 

Ragz wrote:

Probably because you only gave people 3 hours before you posted again..........

The cover looks fake, and if it was real, it would be available on sites like Induna.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:46 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
Ragz wrote:

Seems to be some problem! I posted it much before! Why did it show up '3 hours before I posted again'??

BTW, that was kinda rude :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 am 

Ragz wrote:

Sometimes people will see a certain post, and not respond immediately (even though they may have appreciated it or absorbed it) -- it is ok and should not be a cause of worry :-) -- you can always "bump" again.

Sometimes, those who would finally respond would not see the concerned query until quite a few days ;-)

Most of us here are here because this is a special interest / hobby, and not our main occupation, and so there may not be a steady flow of responses unless the thread or post catches special attention :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:22 am 

Ragz wrote:
The song mohabbat ki jhooti kahani appears to have a mono mix which has been spread to the other channels. :ffs:
Is it only seen in Shemaroo or Eros also sports this nonsense?.

I finally took a break and saw the song in the Eros vers. DVDrip with DD 5.1 which sounds better than Shemaroo. The only issue is that the pitch in the song isn't corrected whereas the rest of the movie is pitch corrected.
Eros may be slightly better because DNR is less as compared to that of the Shemaroo version. But earlier it was said that Shemaroo is sharper than Eros.

Can anyone comment on the menus in the Eros version ??

Since I was unable to play the audio in my sound setup, I can't comment whether Eros has stronger audio or not. Can someone comment on the Eros audio?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 am 

Shame-Aroo

ZEros

To my eyes, Eros is much sharper and looks less reddish unlike Shemaroo. Still I've got to check ZEros!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:44 pm 

Ragz wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
Ragz wrote:

Seems to be some problem! I posted it much before! Why did it show up '3 hours before I posted again'??

BTW, that was kinda rude :cry:

That wasn't the intention, apologies if any offence was caused. The messages on the thread show you posted the cover at 1.48pm, and commented that no-one had replied at 5.05pm. As NewDeep has mentioned, and as I'm sure you've noticed, everyone else frequents the forums less than you, with some regulars not looking at them for days and weeks at a time, so even threads that people are interested in can have responses after 2-3 days!

Anyway, getting back on topic, should the MEA DVD have 5.1 sound? My personal preference would be to have the original soundtrack (I assume this was mono?).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:21 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
That wasn't the intention, apologies if any offence was caused.

I'm sure! I was pulling your leggie ;) But I'm your junior. So to some extent, you may take my comments as informal. Surely it meant to be informal.

bhaskar wrote:
Anyway, getting back on topic, should the MEA DVD have 5.1 sound? My personal preference would be to have the original soundtrack (I assume this was mono?).

I quite agree! The original is the best!! The idea of colorizing gave birth to a new MEA!
However, if you want to watch the new MEA as original, you may turn off your colors settings and set the contrast and brightness correct. As for the sound, you may turn off the front speakers and the rear ones to hear the original sound (luckily they didn't replace the soundtrack. They just overlaid the new compositions [unlike Sholay 3D and Naya Daur color ]).

So you will experience a restored version rather than a new, phony one.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 am 

rana wrote:
dvdisoil wrote:
Ok Guys i found some info on this. The OAR is 4:3 - they actually cropped it !

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader- ... 05463.html

We also did the formatting of the aspect ratio of the film, as originally the film was shot on the full screen format as against the current trend where we shoot in Cinemascope (Anamorphic). Thus, we formatted the entire film to suit the Cinemascope screen and then exposed it back on the negative.

How did you do this format change from full screen to Cinemascope? By compressing the frames or by trimming them? Did you loose out on any information in the frame?

We didn’t compress the film (it would lead to distortion). It was more like keeping the necessary information and let go the information that really doesn’t matter.

Like the Headroom?

Its not about just the headroom, it’s the overall framing that has to be judged and taken a call on. You definitely loose some information, but that’s negligible, only 5 - 10%.

[/i]
dvdisoil wrote:
arsh wrote:

I dont know how to make it bigger!

Are my eyes deceiving - It looks like the cropping is more than 5-10% . I already think 1.33:1 is a poor choice for the movie ( was widescreen not popular in the 60’s ?) and add cropping atop of it - this is terrible ! .

Mathematically, it comes to 11.2 % picture cut when you crop top and/ bottom to make a 4:3 picture to 1.5:1. It's 1.5:1 or 1.55:1 frame that was colorized and the remainder top & bottom portions trimmed/ cut.
For DVD release and for TV broadcasts it's this almost full frame.

For theatrical screening it might have been wider AR by chopping/ masking-off top and bottom of the available picture. Actually, I think even the film frames were for a 1.5:1 picture ?? It has been 10 Yrs but perhaps it's time to check into it as I still have actual film frame (found it) and will get it printed.

Finally! Got that "Film Frame" printed.

Printed copy confirms what has been mentioned earlier that only about 10% (from original B/W version) was cut off from top/ bottom, making the color picture avail on the film aprox 1.5:1. This is how much was colorized digitally. Film screenings could be different to whatever the projectionists found fit. To project the picture 2.2:1 implies cutting off more than 30% from the avail color picture and 40% from the original 4:3 picture. Luckily, the color DVDs are full color film frame that was digitized.

------------------------------
Shemaroo B/W Ultimate Enhanced version is the best one. It's 197 min although the 1980 film CC shows film length as 5508 meters (185 min). This version or the original 1960 release had Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (one reel i.e. 10 min) and the last 2-3 reels 22 min in color (total of 32 min in color).

Colored version film CC shows 4836 meters which is 176 min. Shemaroo DVD is 182 min plus 2 min of coloring credits. And, there also is a 5 min of "Hume Kaash Tumse Mohabbat Na Hoti" delerted from this version, in Extras. This song too is in color.

From the Shemaroo old version at 197 min and new colored version at 187 min, there is a 10 min of orig missing. It seems to be the portions connecting to the "Hume Kaash Tumse Mohabbat Na Hoti" song. Basically, this iteration of Anarkali In and Out of Jail (i.e. one of a few) is the one deleted from the colored version.

BTW, even in the 1960s, as far as I recall, full Mughal-E-Azam version was never shown in a screening. Often "Zindabaad Zindabaad, Ae Mohabbat Zindabaad" was cut and at times, other segments.

Last edited by rana on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 am 

rana wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
rana wrote:
Muz wrote:
Mughl-e-Azam:
As far as I remember, when I saw colorized Mughl-e-Azam in theatre, although I did not get proper projection, it was full 4:3 original picture.

Are you sure you remember correctly? My memory says it was cropped from top & bottom to get a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

As I said, the film projection was all screwed up. Theatre had only scope lens and the print was scope print, meaning only half the width of the film frame had picture. Projected film seemed like 1.78:1 but the picture sure was squished (and also tilted). As the 1.78:1 picture was squished, I assumed, the normal picture would be 4:3 ??

No wonder, I found the projected picture squished and distorted in that screening, as the projection should have been 1.5:1, as I concluded in my post above.

Last edited by rana on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:08 am 

Everyone has a tale to tell but fortunately the movie did great at the box office.Surely all those who went to the cinema to watch the movie are not color blind or unappreciative.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:29 am 

I wish I bought the 197 on time. It seems no longer available. I have a Digipack case (Black and White) which is 189 minutes (4% PAL speedup) and its good (not taking into consideration DNR, PAL to NTSC crap, semi-faded colors, wobbles, hissing, etc.)

I will try to post SSs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next