It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:58 am 

Some interesting trivia about Mughal-E-Azam's intermission

Quote:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ent ... 361415.cms

As luck would have it, Sheeshmahal sequence became the star attraction during the pre-promotion meets. Not known to many, in the original screenplay, the Sheeshamahal sequence was immediately after interval (the first part would then end with Saleem slapping Anarkali post their split).

Asif realized that if the sheeshmahal sequence was shifted before the interval, audience will come out in the interval, completely mesmerized and will talk only of the colour sequence of sheeshmahal. And it was only such a huge positive word of mouth publicity that would generate business enough to recover Shapoorji's investment.

But such a big change also meant, a big creative compromise, something that a great film maker would loathe to do. However, sacrifices and trusts are what make partnerships last. This time, it was Asif's turn to sacrifice. The color Sheeshsmahal sequence was shifted before interval

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:21 pm 

Rags, I'll add my comment, on this and Oct 22 post, later on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:14 am 

rana wrote:
Rags, I'll add my comment, on this and Oct 22 post, later on.

Sure, Rana sahab. Your comments are eagerly anticipated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:05 pm 

Ragz wrote:
For the attention of ranaji, muz and a few others

I came across a comment online in a Google Group, which was from a highly informed film enthusiast. This individual frequently posts comments on vintage Hindi classic YouTube videos and consistently provides accurate technical insights about these films. The Google Group, however, is now abandoned and defunct, representing a bygone era of social media.

Quote:
I saw the film when it was released at Parkash Talkies, Amritsar (was located opposite to the Railway Station) I have failrly good recollection of events then and following weeks, until the screening moved to 3rd - tier theater, located at out-skirts of the city.

A: FIRST RELEASE
=============
Only 2 songs were in color - Pyar Kiya to darna kya and Yeh Dil Ki Lagi Kam Kya Hogi (but not the preceeding song: Khida Nighehban Ho Tumhara)

The climax was in B & W, with a different ending (It was implied that Anarkali was put to death)

I have a hazy re-collection, that the Qawwali - Teri Mehfil Mein was also in color, but can not vouch it with 100% certainty

B: After about 10 or 15 weeks of Run, song: 'Khuda Nigehban Ho Tumara' was replaced with a color version plus the climax was re-shot in color. In this version, Akbar guides Anarkali and her mother to a tunnels - 'Jo Onhen Mughal Sultanat Ki Sarhadon Ke Paar Le Gayi' Anarkali walks like a zombie.

C: Near the tail-end of films run, 2 songs were added. They are:
- Ae Ishq Yeh Sab Duniya Wale and
- Hamen Kaash Tum Se Mohabbat Na Hoti
both in B&W

MY OBSERVATIONS (may or may not be accurate)
=============================================
Like most other films of that era, a large number of prints were sent to middle-eastern counties for local screening and un-official shipping to Pakistan. They prints were probably of all 3 versions

When Home Video Cassette came up, most of the releases in USA were made from prints which were collected in distributors in middle-east (The first video conversion and duplicating facility was set-up by Esquire Co. of Hong Kong in Santa Cruz Free Trade Zone - ie: Bombay Airport area. The products were for export only)

Many years later, when DVD sales picked up, then a complete version (around 22 reels) was released on DVD, wherein 3 songs and and the Climax are in color plus 2 add-on songs (para C:) were retained

Note on color film:
==================

Irrespective of where the film is being shot - ie: studio or on-location, the negatives, i.e.: the film which was shot, is processed right away, and then played (ofcourse, without the sound). The event is called: 'VIEW THE RUSHES' This is to ensure that the 'shot / shots' came out o.k. and there is no need to re-shoot them. The crew can move to next location / shot. In addition, one eliminates the risk of negative getting damaged by exposure to light.

From early 50's FilmCentre aka Film Centre had set up a lab to process color negatives. 2-3 years later, they got the ability to print negatives on color stock - initailly on Gevacolor and later Eastman Color stock. From mid-50s few films were released, wherein 1 or 2 songs were in color eg: SHIRIN FARHAD - the Asha's song, which was enacted by Ameeta The final print of high - profile films were made by Technicolor Lab in London (AAN, JHANAK JHANAK, Mother India, NAVRANG, MUGHAL-E-AZAM, GUNGA JUMNA and few others)

1) What I remember or what my understanding is that only 2 songs were in color at the time of its release. One for sure was 'Pyar Kiya Tau Darna Kya'. The second color song, I always thought was the Sheesh Mahal song.

2) No theatrical screening ever had the full content. Some segments missing from one and some other segments in other. I recall for sure tat the 'Ae Mohabbat Zindabaad' was not in the initial release but was added later-on during its first run. Again this song was in and out from the film in the later years.

3) I did not see the film in 1960, but saw it in 1970. 'Ae Mohabbat Zindabaad' song was in there, but for sure some other segments must be missing as the film was 4 shows daily, meaning 3 hour or less. After that I saw it again when it's VHS (pirated) became available.

4) Even the Colored re-release is not the full content, even after counting the 'deleted scenes in special features in its DVD & Blu Ray.
(I have identified about 40 sec of near climax scene that's in my VHS. It's extra footage Anarkali's mother - Akbar scene - before Anarkali execution. There are other segments too, as VHS run time is much longer than DVD & Blu Ray).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:15 pm 

Ragz wrote:

Quote:

As luck would have it, Sheeshmahal sequence became the star attraction during the pre-promotion meets. Not known to many, in the original screenplay, the Sheeshamahal sequence was immediately after interval (the first part would then end with Saleem slapping Anarkali post their split).

Asif realized that if the sheeshmahal sequence was shifted before the interval, audience will come out in the interval, completely mesmerized and will talk only of the colour sequence of sheeshmahal. And it was only such a huge positive word of mouth publicity that would generate business enough to recover Shapoorji's investment.

But such a big change also meant, a big creative compromise, something that a great film maker would loathe to do. However, sacrifices and trusts are what make partnerships last. This time, it was Asif's turn to sacrifice. The color Sheeshsmahal sequence was shifted before interval

Isn't Sheesh Mahal song the one where Anarkali tricks Saleem to Unconsciousness ?? If this is the one, this scene can not be anywhere except at the end of the film.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:12 am 

rana wrote:
Ragz wrote:

Quote:

Isn't Sheesh Mahal song the one where Anarkali tricks Saleem to Unconsciousness ?? If this is the one, this scene can not be anywhere except at the end of the film.

Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya is also often cited in online literature as the Sheesh Mahal song. Not sure at all, how accurate that would be.

Hence, going by that logic, the placement of the intermission after the Pyar Kiya song makes sense - from a sequential perspective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17