It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:57 am 

Narsimha is Progressive and anamorphic, high bit rates. But, there seems to be something wrong with my DVD. I don't see it in the sreen caps postedhere, but I get lots of Horizontal streaks, something like vertical streaks you see in badly worn out film prints. Vertical streaks I have seen from worn out prints but horizontal streaks, totally puzzles me.
Either something wrong in my disc or may be it's the same in the disc, the Narsimha shots came from??

---------------------

Update: Later I rented this DVD. Rented disc did not have the same annoying Horiz streaks. There were some minor un-noticeable Horiz noise streaks mainly in the song Hum Se Tum Dosti Kar Lo, that's all. So must have been my disc that has some minisicule scratches.

Last edited by rana on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:39 am 

And Wakeel Saab finally responded! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:39 pm 

JamesBond007 wrote:
And Wakeel Saab finally responded! :)

It will help if you used my proper nick name "rana".
rana is not my real name. It's just a nick name. I'm pretty sure most on zulm are not using their real names, half of them not even their real life nick names.

I'm commenting late, on this DVD, as I did not have the DVD before. But, I've been active on other topics. I don't see much postings from you lately though??

urbanlegend:
You did mention of some streak lines in the picture where as I see lots of, never seen before, hoprizontal streak lines, to the point that it's unwatchable. Specially the song, "Hum Se Tum Dosti Kar Lo". Could you please confirm this and may be post some screen caps showing those annoying horizontal streak lines. May be we can even hope for a new transfer from BEI??

---------------------

Update: Later I rented this DVD. Rented disc did not have the same annoying Horiz streaks. There were some minor un-noticeable Horiz noise streaks mainly in the song Hum Se Tum Dosti Kar Lo, that's all. So must have been my disc that has some minisicule scratches.

Last edited by rana on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:15 am 

I wouldnt mind posting the shots however I dont have the dvd anymore. I only rented it .. at the time of posting I had not gone through the entire flick only skimmed through it and posted accordingly, therefore said only some lines of horizontal annoyance. You are right though, the dvd print because of it is very hard to watch and enjoy, especially since I really liked this movie when I was a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 am 

Quote:
It will help if you used my proper nick name "rana".

Yeah, Yeah! My bad :(

Quote:
I'm commenting late, on this DVD, as I did not have the DVD before. But, I've been active on other topics. I don't see much postings from you lately though

Yeah! got side tracked with Ramadan, then vacation and have since been derailed! :lol: Not much happening here anyhow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:11 pm 

------------------

This film has another famous song:
Jaao Tum Chaahe Jahan, ----, Ek Ladka/ Ladki Is Duniya Me Hai Jo De Sakta/ Sakti Hai Tum Pe Jaan. (Copied from Veer Zaara :D )

Audio is excellent. 2 Ch @ 224 kbps and lots of bass without the use of .1 channel.

Anamorphic and Progressive.

DVD has the option of playing all songs together without going into the movie. Just like many Shemaroo DVDs.

This DVD has Pan and Scan option workable.
---------------

Dimple, Urmila, Sunny. And Thundering Om Puri as modern day Harnakyashup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:53 pm 

Well, I hope you get your bad copy swapped from iw or BEI direct!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 am 

Had the Moserbaer version for few years, just received the DEI version it's miles better

Last edited by Sageer on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 pm 

Quote:
DVD has the option of playing all songs together without going into the movie. Just like many Shemaroo DVDs.

What I'd prefer is that when you directly select a song in any menus, it should take you to the title which holds the film instead of another title which contains songs (which DVDs normally do).
But there must be an option 'Play All Songs' which must then take us to the only songs title in the DVD

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 am 

urbanlegend wrote:

Saw this song clip "Jaao Tum Chaahey Jahan" on TV the other day. Had forgotten, which film was it from, but the song was haunting enough. Checked, found that it's from Narsimha and it was released on BEI DVD. As you can see in earlier posts, it's not among the best BEI DVDs, but it's better (it's Progressive) than any interlaced DVDs common among Indian DVDs.

Did not know that this film is among the longest Bollywood films. It's BEI DVD is 187 min. IMDB states film length at 214 min. They must have trimmed the film length as it was way too long to keep interest in the film. Perhaps because of this trimming, I think there are some inconsistencies and discontinuities left in the 187 min version, but not too serious.

And, that song, "Jaao Tum Chaahey Jahan" is a whopping 15-17 min long in 3-4 different segments (different situational lyrics).

Another peculiar thing about this BEI DVD: Pressing PLAY in menu takes you back to starting 'Must See' portion of the start-up. You must access the movie from Chapter Access.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 pm 

I remember this being released on 2 VHS tapes originally - don't remember the film that well though!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 pm 

rana wrote:
Did not know that this film is among the longest Bollywood films. It's BEI DVD is 187 min. IMDB states film length at 214 min. They must have trimmed the film length as it was way too long to keep interest in the film.

bhaskar wrote:
I remember this being released on 2 VHS tapes originally - don't remember the film that well though!

I found my VHS copy of this film. VHS print is really bad and could not even read time signal. So converted to DVD to compare film run time.

Out of stated 214 min orig feature time,
VHS is 183 min 30 sec (191 min film time), BEI DVD is 186 min 40 sec, but it does have 1 min extra each at the beginning and at the end. So, total of 193 min out of 214 min can be found in video.

The 6 min missing in BEI as compared to VHS, is mostly a few sec (dishoom dishoom fifghting etc) here and a few secs there, except for a total of 3 min discrepancy when Sunny Deol tells about his tragic past (in a 24 min segment). Significant 60-70 sec is Sunny telling about how he ended up in Om Puri's camp after his tragedy.

--------------------------------------------
What the film is about: It's a modern day depiction of old Pauranic story of Demon Harnakshyap (Om Puri as Baapji), his son Prehlaad (daughter Simran played by Urmila Matondkar) and the saviour Narsimha (Narsimha orig character played by Sunny Deol). Demon Harnakshyap was granted a boon that he can't die (he wanted the boon to be immortal but that was not allowed, so he covered all possibilities that he never die)
Neither Day nor Night
Neither Inside nor Outside
Neither by man nor by God
Neither by any Animal nor by - - -.
Neither by Astra nor by Shastra (Weapon, etc)
Neither from Sky nor from Earth
and a few other conditions.

In the orig narrative, Harnakshyap is killed by Half man Half Lion - - - - Nar = Man, Sinh = Lion
At the Dehleez of his palace (neither In nor Out)
In the evening, (neither day nor night),
Narsimha appears exploding the palace wall (neither from sky nor from earth)
(May be it is: He not die on earth or in Sky -- So, he dies in Nar-Sinh's lap, killed by Nar-Sinh nails)
Killed by Narsimha's nails (no weapon used)
etc.

As per Box Office reports, it was a Super Hit film.

Film is interesting enough and has excellent music/ songs.

Also see
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hiranyakashipu.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiranyakashipu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 pm 

rana wrote:

Also see

I'm surprised by that - I thought it was only an average earner. Wasn't this N Chandra's next film after Tezaab?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
rana wrote:

I'm surprised by that - I thought it was only an average earner. Wasn't this N Chandra's next film after Tezaab?

I too had this impression that it was an average film but when searching info for this film and writing my post, I read somewhere stating this to be a hit film. Can't find that site now. Or, perhaps I got this impression that it was a 'Commercial Success' as described in Wikipedia.
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narsimha_(1991_film)
Narasimha is a 1991 Bollywood Hindi Action Drama film starring Sunny Deol, Dimple Kapadia, Urmila Matondkar, Ravi Behl and Om Puri. The Film was Directed by N. Chandra and was a commercial success .

It's interesting to read in the next line at wikipedia site that this film was Urmila Matondkar's first film as lead actress in adult role.
Quote:
The movie was debut movie for actor Ravi Behl and actress Urmila Matondkar though she appeared in movies like Bade Ghar Ki Beti in small role. Incidentally, both of them had appeared in many movies as child artiste.

Anyway, the film is interesting enough, has good haunting songs and a decent Progressive print. Recommend watch once and for sure songs, many a times.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:58 am 

bhaskar wrote:
rana wrote:

Also see

According to this list I found on imdb it was the 14th highest film of 1991

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls002674300/